Automotive tool kits - What gets your vote for most interesting, rare or original pre-war kit?

30DodgePanel

I thought it would be a fun topic to discuss and post photos of some of your favorite tool kits that you've encountered over the years. I know I've seen a few on here that were incredible but cannot recall which vehicles they belonged to. I believe someone posted a Bentley kit that was immaculate recently but cannot recall the name of the thread.

Flashy and expensive are good but so are rare, unusual and completely original. 

What's some of the most interesting automotive tool kits you've seen over the years for pre-war cars, trucks, limos, taxis...?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

Here is a Model J original tool roll. You can buy a nice collector car for the cost of an original intact kit.  

7C82A47C-563B-469E-A016-7F2464D75590.png

Interesting screwdrivers. I see those listed for sale these days as "cabinet maker" tools when I find them for sale. They are original to the kit I assume? I'm not up on my screwdriver history much so I wonder if they were just all purpose screwdrivers back in the day but at some point they were tied in with the furniture trade.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

You will find a bunch of good pictures in this thread:

prewar Rolls-Royce really had the best organized tool kits They were really spectacular.

I missed that one. I did a search to see what was already posted but must have used the wrong criteria for wording. I can delete this thread if needed...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

What about carburetor tool kits..

Did any pre-war cars have carb tool kits with them that anyone is aware of?

The carburetor companies, to my knowledge, did not offer tool kits specific to an individual car; but then I only have documentation from the carburetor companies. If anyone has documentation of car-specific pre-war carburetor kits, I would like to see copies for my database.

The following carburetor companies DID offer pre-WWII tool kits for their carburetors to their distributors.

Carter (have this one). Carter also offered marque-specific tool kits to car dealerships.

Holley (have this one)

Marvel (have this one)

Rayfield (have not seen this one, or individual tools)

Schebler (have not seen this one, or individual tools)

Zenith (have this one)

Additionally, Hygrade offered an aftermarket carburetor tool kit to their distributors (have this one).

The only car-specific carburetor tool kits of which I am aware became available in the mid-1950's, and were produced by Borroughs / Kent-Moore. (have maybe 100 different of these).

Snap-On produced a wonderful aftermarket tool kit sometime post-WWII, but has many 1930's specific carburetor tools. (have this one)

Many, but not nearly all, of the carburetor tool kits listed above are pictured on my website, as well as many individual carburetor tools.

Carburetor museum

Individual carburetor tools

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, carbking said:

The carburetor companies, to my knowledge, did not offer tool kits specific to an individual car; but then I only have documentation from the carburetor companies. If anyone has documentation of car-specific pre-war carburetor kits, I would like to see copies for my database.

The following carburetor companies DID offer pre-WWII tool kits for their carburetors to their distributors.

Carter (have this one). Carter also offered marque-specific tool kits to car dealerships.

Holley (have this one)

Marvel (have this one)

Rayfield (have not seen this one, or individual tools)

Schebler (have not seen this one, or individual tools)

Zenith (have this one)

Additionally, Hygrade offered an aftermarket carburetor tool kit to their distributors (have this one).

The only car-specific carburetor tool kits of which I am aware became available in the mid-1950's, and were produced by Borroughs / Kent-Moore. (have maybe 100 different of these).

Snap-On produced a wonderful aftermarket tool kit sometime post-WWII, but has many 1930's specific carburetor tools. (have this one)

Many, but not nearly all, of the carburetor tool kits listed above are pictured on my website, as well as many individual carburetor tools.

Carburetor museum

Individual carburetor tools

Jon

That's a great website. That Fish carburettor looks interesting!

Edited by Jorge Amado (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

Interesting screwdrivers. I see those listed for sale these days as "cabinet maker" tools when I find them for sale. They are original to the kit I assume? I'm not up on my screwdriver history much so I wonder if they were just all purpose screwdrivers back in the day but at some point they were tied in with the furniture trade.

I'm certainly not an expert on tools or screwdrivers but I would think they were using this type of handle in kits because they had always worked properly throughout history and saw no need to convert to a more modern appearance of that era even though other handle designs were available (another way to put it is a cheaper design?). When we consider leather working and cabinet making, as well as wood carving (and many other trades), for centuries they used similar hand functions continuously so it would seem a user friendly type of handle to use even on a modern Model J or Rolls.

As a side note I also find interesting that even centuries ago they had a natural way of looking at the most ergonomical way to achieve a task. The only difference is they just didn't have the word in their vocabulary yet and quite frankly had no need to put a label on it. Ahh, the pre tort days... 

Here's an interesting video on leather making tools (I know, it's off topic but thought some of you might enjoy tools of similar nature). One can clearly see some of the detailed and time consuming aspects that may have taken place throughout parts of the auto and other industry in regards to leather work. Obviously these tools may not have been used on assembly lines but have always wonder if some early auto companies were using similar aspects and techniques on leather upholstery. True artists in my opinon...

Watch the entire video to see the variety of similar hand tools (as the screwdriver handles) later in the video

Video: A History of Tools for the Trade - Fine Leatherworking

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Most of the tool kits I have seen of the pre WWII were in heavy canvas like cloth material. . I have a repro one for my 1930 Packard and an original tool bag that was in my grandfather's 1930 model L Lincoln that was saved . Some tool sets were in built in areas under a door panel interior covering ! very cool indeed. Steve Babinsky showed me that on a late 1920s car he owns - just wonderful. Some parts books in the 1920s-early 1930s had pages showing the tools and giving the parts numbers so they could be ordered. I know Franklin did this , it is now great reference. Illustrated parts books - got to love them.

WG

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I'm certainly not an expert on tools or screwdrivers but I would think they were using this type of handle in kits because they had always worked properly throughout history and saw no need to convert to a more modern appearance of that era even though other handle designs were available (another way to put it is a cheaper design?). When we consider leather working and cabinet making, as well as wood carving (and many other trades), for centuries they used similar hand functions continuously so it would seem a user friendly type of handle to use even on a modern Model J or Rolls.

As a side note I also find interesting that even centuries ago they had a natural way of looking at the most ergonomical way to achieve a task. The only difference is they just didn't have the word in their vocabulary yet and quite frankly had no need to put a label on it. Ahh, the pre tort days... 

Here's an interesting video on leather making tools (I know, it's off topic but thought some of you might enjoy tools of similar nature). One can clearly see some of the detailed and time consuming aspects that may have taken place throughout parts of the auto and other industry in regards to leather work. Obviously these tools may not have been used on assembly lines but have always wonder if some early auto companies were using similar aspects and techniques on leather upholstery. True artists in my opinon...

Watch the entire video to see the variety of similar hand tools (as the screwdriver handles) later in the video

Video: A History of Tools for the Trade - Fine Leatherworking

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Myself I have been searching for a few screwdrivers to fill out my '25 Nash kit. After seeing this type in other kits I  think I'll snag me some. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, edinmass said:

Here is a Model J original tool roll. You can buy a nice collector car for the cost of an original intact kit.  

7C82A47C-563B-469E-A016-7F2464D75590.png

Ed, can you please tell us what some of those tools are for? All I have is the wheel wrench and the cam cover wrench. I'd love to find a set for my J.

Now HERE is a tool kit. 1933 Rolls PII AJS American kit............you want to talk about work finding everything. 

IMG_9628.JPG

• Like 3