For Sale: 1952 Lincoln Capri 2-door Hardtop - " Originally purchased by my Father" - Columbia, MO - Not Mine

For sale on Facebook: 1952 Lincoln Capri 2-door Hardtop in Columbia, MO  -  $18,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/760044868590893/1952-Lincoln-Capri

Seller's Description:

1952 Lincoln Capri 2-door Hardtop

• 1 owner
  • Driven 74,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Black
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1952 Lincoln Capri. This car was originally purchased by my father when he came home from Korea. There is still rice in the glovebox from my parents wedding in 1955. The car is original. All numbers match. The car was driven until the early 70's and then was parked for 25 years. The odometer shows 74,000 miles, but I can't confirm. The motor was rebuilt, the rear bumper re-chromed, and re-painted, but everything is pretty much original. You will notice the original red leather interior and the headliner. There are odds and ends to finish things up.

• The 1952 Lincoln is an important piece of American history. It was one of the first overhead V8's and between 52-54 it won the Pan American road race.
  • It is considered a hardtop convertible and has no posts when the windows are down. It has working electric windows and seat, something unusual for the time period.
  • I have taken it to car shows and driven it in parades. It is not a restoration, so it is not perfect, but in really great original condition.

I have done a lot over the years to keep it going. Recently, I had a new water pump installed and the transmission was rebuilt a couple of years ago.

image.png.6506e064484a8051e5d2b02f1e139049.png

image.png.4fe8609da65499f65af910807e44bbe7.png

image.png.2e37370a9adc4f27ed635ddc9b9a9cec.png

image.png.f7fee60885b3fc19c8fc87f692ade98d.png

• Like 1

Doesn’t show the back seat. I wanted to see if it’s the same as the front, with the black inset panels. It looks like it’s not original and funky like it doesn’t quite fit. Speaking of original, it’s all original except the rebuilt engine, transmission, water pump, re-chromed bumper, and paint, but it’s mostly all original. Would someone please define original as it pertains to an old car? 
Would the engine be a 368?

That said, it is a nice looking car and one you don’t see a lot of.

Finally, the front bumper looks like it adds about 500 pounds to the car-pretty massive.

• Like 1

The "Lincoln" hood letters and emblem in the grille opening are 1953 details.  This may be a 1953 model year car that was sold in a state that registered cars as the calendar year during which they were sold as opposed to the manufacturer designation.   If it's a 1953, the serial numbers would begin with 53WA5,001H.  The 317 ci engine had the compression ratio increased to 8.00:1 from 7.50:1 and horsepower to 205 @ 4200rpm from 160 @ 3900rpm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fossil said:

Whoever designed that knows what motion should look like. 

William M. (Bill) Schmidt was head of the Lincoln design studio from 1947 to 1954.  He and his team were fully responsible for the 1952-'57 Lincolns.   Schmidt moved to Studebaker-Packard in mid-1955 to lead the development of the still-born Detroit 1957 Packards, Clippers and Studebaker.  With the 1956 S-P financial debacle, he took a lead position with Chrysler design while Virgil Exner was recovering from a massive heart attack.  After the unhappy Chrysler experience, Schmidt continued with his own industrial design consultancy.   

• Thanks 2

This is a very nice looking Lincoln.

Back in 1962, I woulda', coulda', should'a paid up the $249 for the ultra low mileage baby blue 1954 Lincoln Capri convertible on one of the multiple price-adjusted used car lots at Reedman Chevrolet in Langhorne, Pennsylvania. It looked perfect and drove beautifully on the Langhorne Speedway where we were allowed (encouraged) to "test-drive" all the used cars. The same-priced crocus & onyx (yellow & black) 1956 Bel-air convertible parked next to the Lincoln stole my heart at that moment, forcing me to ignore the Chevy 265 ci engine's heavy Rapppping sound. The engine sleeving and complete rebuild soon followed. The 1952-1957 Lincoln was, and still is, a dream car!

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Lovely car but it seems the dash design was an after thought.  Compared to the rest of the car it is like having a 1955 refrigerator front staring back at you while Chrysler was going into full "Wurlitzer jukebox" mode.

I think you are correct but also see Packards dash up to 1955, when they did much better.   Looking at the dash in that 54 Pontiac Star Chief is much better styled than this one, and colors matter.   Make that a body color dash and it pops a lot more then the gunmetal grey. 

• Like 1