Let’s see your period correct aftermarket accessories

Alex D.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I almost forgot one more DB 'Period Accessory' I have for my 1915 Dodge Brothers. It is an engine operated tire pump that connects through the crank hole to the crank shaft. It will save 'STROKES' from operating that 2 barrel manually operated high pressure factory supplied tire pump. Enjoy!

2 resized.jpg

Pump data olate.jpg

Pump with hose.jpg

Gauge.jpg

Trunk tool box.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 12:37 PM, Walt G said:

I don't have enough time to look now in my archives with Hershey packing going on but will contribute to this after the big H is over. I did a story on Nil Melior ( translated to " none finer ") the car accessory store that was located in the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan some time ago. I have accessory catalogs for British car supply stores, as well as manufacturers dealership accessory catalogs for Packard ( 1920 thru 1941) Franklin ( 1930-1931) Chevrolet ( 1947) and a pile of others as well. Just need to find the time to scan, save, resize, etc. which can take some considerable time and then note the year, models, makes etc that they are concerned with. I will post with this one page from a 1928 Packard accessory catalog that was issued by the factory to dealerships to get things started and support the great topic! 

I chose this page as the winter front could be considered an aftermarket accessory - many after market items were offered by the car companies after they tested them to know they were acceptable and not cause a lot of complaints.

Walt

1928Packardaccessoy catalogcover013.jpg

A prime example of an appearance & image enhancing accessory that doesn't make the car its on run any better, and a fully functional, but not necessarily attractive accessory on the same page.

How about a list of appearance accessories designed to enhance one would display on a car at a show; vs. a list of practical (and sometimes mandatory) accessories, but not attractive enough that one would display it on the car at a show?

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

I like those and the beer plate!

If you could just get people to notice and mind turn signals and brake lights...

Probably a good thing I didn't become a Virginia State Trooper all those years ago. I know I'd have been a hardass on use of turn signals and not dimming headlights. 

• Like 2

Thanks Robert S! A great advertising piece. I love the Neva-lost gasoline caps. I have had them on several of my antiques over the years, and have a rare two-pin twist one that fits my 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan if I should ever get it roadworthy again. They came in a wide variety of sizes and threads to fit so very many different makes and models of cars! My Paige has an unusual attachment, into the gasoline tank, and I was shocked years ago when I found a Neva-lost cap that fit it!

The only problem with the Neva-lost caps is that a lot of them came with pot metal "dog-bone" twist handles and a lot of them have disintegrated over the decades. Sometimes one can get lucky and find one with a cast brass handle on it.