The MOST WANTED thing you ever found at Hershey.

Walt G

I was inspired by my friend Bob's "unwanted" topic/thread to start this one ( yes, I know I have to many ideas and start to many topics here will try to behave from now on and take a seat in the shadows - background and say nothing ) .

Decades ago when there was a Blue Field ( now roller coasterville) I found on very damp ground a fairly substantial accessories catalog for the 1930-31 Franklin. I owned a 1930 and 31 Franklin! it  looked to be NOS and not opened much at all ( who had the $ in that era to buy extra stuff to put on their car ?) Cover was a bit damp from the ground but it dried out ok. ( I showed it to Fred Simione right after I bought it as his flea market space wasn't far away and he asked where I found it - I said about 50 feet north of your spaces)

Also a cast bronze and brass grille guard for a 1930-31 Packard  in excellent original condition - I didn't own a Packard of that era but it was just so beautifully made and in perfect condition I had to have it to hang on the wall in my library. It was fate because some years later I bought a 1930 Packard and had it fitted to the car - it fit perfectly and is still on the car 20 feet away from where I type this. ( thanks to Byron York of Ridgefield, Ct. who made all the bits to mount it and put it on my car)

And thanks to the late  Dave Brownell who told me about a panel truck load of brass lights that Randy Mason brought from Michigan to sell for the Henry Ford Museum. I bought a huge self generating brass headlamp made by Powell & Hammer in England.. Great original light that had been restored before being donated to the HFM decades previously by Dr. Sam Sher. I didn't have the $ for it so Randy put it in the cab of the truck marked sold and told me to come back the next day with the cash ($60) which I did. Well in the walk back to the car that was parked about 1/2 mile away at the end of the day as I approached the Hershey Parks zoo area i saw a pair of guys walking towards me - obviously just arriving. They saw the lamp I was carrying ( which by now had stretched  my arm about 6 inches longer from the weight ) as they got closer while staring at the lamp , one turned to the other and said in a great southern drawl "  There isn't enough polish in my whole county to clean that" and it was said in all seriousness! I had to stop walking I started to laugh so much it took my breath away.

• Like 2

I was excited to find a NOS front fender for my '21 Chevy. Both of the originals appeared to have been squeezed between two trees. On getting it home, I discovered that US and Canadian fenders are different ! I still haven't found replacement fenders. A very talented and old school body man restored the originals.

• Like 1

Last year I found an essentially NOS carburetor for my 1912 Flanders 20 Runabout.  It runs great now once I spaced up the float "tickler" so that it wasn't holding the float down all the time, flooding the engine.  Many thanks to Daryl Kemerer for suggesting the tickler as the cause.  :)

disassembled.JPG

float02.JPG

nos_carb01.JPG

nos_carb02.JPG

tickler.JPG

• Like 2

I was 16 years old and went to Hershey with my Dad. I found two n.o.s.  radiator shells I needed. One for my 1929 Franklin and one for my 1931 Dodge coupe. I do not have the Franklin anymore, but I still have the '31 Dodge coupe and shell. The guy only wanted $35.00 each. My Dad left his checkbook in the car so I had to walk back about 2 miles to get it. I was never so happy to find the parts I needed that day. 

post-37352-143141780492.jpg

• Like 2

This is not exactly what I wanted, but more of what I unexpectedly found in the Chocolate Field about 15 years ago. Always searching for unique items for the Model T Ford, I came across a pair of rather heavy (also rather ugly) lamps in the shape of a Model T Coupe. After staring at them for about 2 minutes, the lady who owned them asked, "Can I help you?" I said that the lamps were unique, but I would have to offer an amount so low that she would say, "No."  She said, "There isn't any amount too low..." Well, I bought them and presented them to my wife of nearly 35 years (at that time).

She is still with me...

Frank

IMG_4157.JPG

• Haha 3

Dad found this ond 8 or 10 years ago in the Chocolate field, older couple, one space apparently came out of his garage.  I bought it I think, for $250.  It is an oil rack top not a standalone sign.  But a nice add to our signs dated 1941.  Saw one on ebay a couple years back, ridicules $$$ but it only matters if your selling.

20220920_165442.jpg

• Like 2

Not the most wanted, in fact, I told myself on the drive over to Hershey that I would NOT bring home any more motorcycle parts!  Well, I get through the gate and turn left toward the Studebaker guys, and the first thing I see is a 190mm front brake for my BSA.  I walked passed, telling myself, no, no, not today.  Well, I got about 10 feet past it, turned around to check it out and ask what he wanted for it.  Couldn't hurt, I thought, right?  I knew it would be way too expensive.  I ended up giving him 35 bucks and walked it back to my car.  I just couldn't pass it up.  The seller thought it was for an Italian bike since it was mounted to a Boranni rim.

190mmBRAKE.jpg

Tom, being a first time Hershey goer I noticed you said you turned toward the Studebaker guys. I assume that some of them are close to each other. May I ask where that might be?  
All I’ve ever heard of Hershey is huge and being a bit messed up in the leg department it may help to know where I’m  going. 
Thanks, 

dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In the White Field, 20 or so years ago, I ran across a gentleman with a booth full of Cadillac parts.  Sitting on the table was a COMPLETE rear compartment factory radio setup for 1941 - 1949 Cadillac 67 and 75 series cars.  I asked him how much he was asking for it: "$100 and don't you dare try to talk me down!"  I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough.  It's now in the back of my 1942 series 75.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Hansen
word omission (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Tom, being a first time Hershey goer I noticed you said you turned toward the Studebaker guys. I assume that some of them are close to each other. May I ask where that might be?  
All I’ve ever heard of Hershey is huge and being a bit messed up in the leg department it may help to know where I’m  going. 
Thanks, 

dave s 

I have highlighted the area in Chocolate field north where the Studebaker club is approximately. The Schrock Bros. The Studebaker club and Rex M. all have about 8-10 spots side by side.

That row backs onto HersheyPark Drive and is the row that will head down to where the car corral starts.

Jeff 

image.png.de72dd167ff2292232f9de4ae837080b.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Thanks, 

dave s 

Jeff just beat me to it!  Hope you find what your looking for, Stude stuff is few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Bosch Twin Spark Dual Magneto that are just about impossible to find at any price. I was able to secure it for less than half of what I expected to pay. Over the years I have hit the lotto on the field just about every other year. 

65694773279__6CDB0630-D816-4E5A-942A-7EF53EB47441.jpeg

65694774965__01356347-AF63-47C4-BC2F-40DECE665CEF.jpeg

65694775728__4394740E-AEA0-4FA9-961D-C261F0886742.jpeg

• Like 2

My spaces are CCN 18, 19, 20. Which is the start of the Antique Studebaker Row. The Studebaker National Museum will be located in the Antique Studebaker Club Tent this year.

image.png.de72dd167ff2292232f9de4ae837080b.png

Thanks, 

dave s 

Edited by George Rohrbach (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taking a break from a very difficult time here in this building.  The devastation from the loss of Chris Ritter is immense and we are all suffering under the load.  Chris was a car guy and always kidded me about my stories so here goes one.  I restored an ultra-rare (2 known) 1908 Oldsmobile Model X but could not find a set of correct headlamps for them.  Gray & Davis Model 97 I believe.  One year along with my Illinois crew we searched all week for a set and visited every brass car vendor we could find.  Nothing.  I was despondent as I had advertised, etc. trying to find a set.  The last day we decided it was a wrap but before we left the field one of our guys hit the porta-potty (TMI, I know) and upon leaving he said hey there are more brass items underneath the table at one of the spaces we had already visited.  We debated going to check it out but did.  Of course, there they were a set of the correct lamps hidden that the vendor never mentioned to us he had. I quickly agreed to pay his price (gulp) but one of our crew said he would pay it if I gave him a set of rims he needed.  We made the deal and then I brought the lamps over to Rick Britten as he was packing up and left them with him for restoration!

• Like 7