Chevy Impala

Valerie

Hi all, I’m trying to determine the value of two Chevy Impalas. We have titles for both. One is a 1965 Chevy impala 2 door coupe L6/V8 and the other is a 1965 Chevy impala 4 door sports sedan (hardtop) L6/V8. Both have been out in the elements for many many years. Pictures attached. Thanks in advance your help. 

65D18F72-5675-4BEC-ACC7-177ACF51C5A4.jpeg

631E7AAF-2375-4C00-B6C8-E7594609E0FB.jpeg

the 2 door hardtop is a 1966

the 4 door is a 1969

Both are likely considered as parts cars with values under $700 each if a retail buyer can be found, or else they are only scrap value if you haul them to a scrap yard.  A person who buys them for scrapping, can't pay any where near scrap price as labor and fuel to remove them is not free.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately for the seller, there is no incentive to save either of them.  Both examples were made in the millions, with lots of survivors out there.  Neither car in the photo has any 'special' or any interesting options on them to make one want to go after them.  That '69 Impala appears to be VERY plain-jane with drum front brakes and non-remote outside mirror.

Craig

They would be scrap price; if you could get a scrap dealer to drive out to your location.  The price fuel for any travel; may not even pay the fuel bill

If the scrap dealer had a chance to get a full load of steel/iron or any other metal; he may do it. But for 2 cars, he wouldn't go too far. 

8 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

The stone barn in background suggests Pennsylvania up thru New England.

Let's play boredom detective... lol... I thought the 69 bumper was super rotted in center but it's the plate that was inked out.  Plate was blue background with white border, Our old CT plates were like that but so were Maryland.  The blue looks lighter than old CT was but could be faded, Old MD blue looks a tad bit lighter than old CT?

That 69 has a windshield sticker the correct size and location for CT smog, but those came out sometime in the mid 80s, if this was even still on the road.  I can't find out if MD had stickers placed there.

I can't read all of the dealership sticker on the trunk lid; 

----  CREST?  MOTORS?   could it be Hill Crest Motors ?

town is spaced for at least 2 words? maybe WHITE  ------ ?

Found a present day Chevy dealer by a different name in White Marsh, MD   

the owner made sure to mention having titles. Yes, in CT when they were new, they would have had titles, but 30-40 years ago we changed and did not have/or need titles on cars older than 10 years I think, then it went to pre-1981 not having them, to now being 25 yrs old.  So that may mean nothing unless MD is tough to sell without titles and seller knows that?

I give up LOL,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0.jpeg.447426689ef19a02c5b617ed95021eb5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

That '69 Impala appears to be VERY plain-jane with drum front brakes and non-remote outside mirror.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I have never seen a disc brake 69 Impala, and I worked on lots of them over the years. I think you are thinking of the upscale Impalas, with the Caprice nameplate! :D    They still made Biscaynes and Bel Airs in 1969 for the plain-jane buyers.

Virginia and Maryland have stone buildings also.

Virginia did not have stickers in that location until just a few years ago.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

about 1975 i used to have a original 1968 impala station wagon 327/ turbo 400 with 4 piston disc brakes on front and black 15x6 inch rally wheels… with full wheel covers. 12 bolt rear end too. i should have kept it especially since it was a rare factory build.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

As Mark stated, the rear bumper guards on the '69 aren't common.  To salvage f & r guards from it would be a chore considering all of the rust on the car, and they would then probably need to be replated and need new rubber inserts.  It's not worth it.  Maybe salvaging some glass and trim pieces off of both cars is all that could be expected.

'69 full-size Chevrolets have great looking bumpers that were designed to LOOK like they belong there, (unlike four years later).  To me, bumper guards on a '69 would interrupt the clean look the designers achieved.

I have seen '69 Impalas with disc brakes; enough to convince me that they are not 'rare'.

Craig

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rocketraider said:

The stone barn in background suggests Pennsylvania up thru New England.

They have stone barns in KY too. Plus they have had blue and white on plates. The KY Univ wildcats fans are known as the Big Blue Nation, because the travel to all the games. 
dave s 

Looks like the '69 could easily have been seen from the road.  I wonder how many times a passerby stopped to inquire about the car(s) only to be turned away.  Imagine their surprise to walk up to the '69 to find the more desirable '66 coupe next to it?  I wonder what was in the stone garage?  Must of kept the good cars in there, no?

Edited by 63RedBrier (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

'69 full-size Chevrolets have great looking bumpers that were designed to LOOK like they belong there, (unlike four years later).  To me, bumper guards on a '69 would interrupt the clean look the designers achieved.

Craig

Having had a '73 Caprice coupe, at least the bumpers were useful unlike the "decorative chrome trim" versions on the '69.

image.png.391057bd7f5d19a7327dbf41e5592a97.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Then you gotta stop running into things!! 🙂

Craig

That front bumper came in handy when some idiot flew past me at 1 in the morning as I was driving home from work in the first snowfall of the season.  I watched as his car spun out of control, bounced off the curb 3 lanes over and spun sideways into my path!  My car didn't have much damage.  His Thunderbird was a mess!  

48 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

That front bumper came in handy when some idiot flew past me at 1 in the morning as I was driving home from work in the first snowfall of the season.  I watched as his car spun out of control, bounced off the curb 3 lanes over and spun sideways into my path!  My car didn't have much damage.  His Thunderbird was a mess!  

In early 1972, a lady in a then-new Datsun 510 took a corner a little too fast on an icy street, and hit my mom head-on in her 1960 Pontiac sedan.  The bumper on the Datsun bent inward into the grille, which pushed the radiator into the plastic fan.  The nice policeman was able to bend the radiator support back enough for the fan not to interfere, and she could drive her car home.  My mom's Pontiac?  The bumper took most of the impact, unharmed, but with a broken low-beam headlight and dented headlight door.  The corner Texaco garage replaced the sealed beam for $3 and another $3 for installation & aiming, and a whopping $13.20 for a new headlight door which the dealer still stocked at the time, for a grand total of $19.20.  The policeman estimated the damage on the lady's Datun 510 was well over $300; a big sum of money back then.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

I wouldn't describe these two cars as totally worthless...at least not yet. They could have a few parts worth salvaging. 

For example, either one of them could be equipped with a 400 turbo automatic transmission, and Chevy versions of that very-tough performance transmission are getting scarce and desirable. Moreover, either one or both could have any number of desirable transmissions. The 66 very well could have (or have had) a manual transmission. The value of a 4-speed is obvious, but even the 3-speed is desirable now, and Powerglide automatics are sought after my drag racers. Pedal swing assemblies, bellhousings, shifters, steering columns with no shift lever on the side, and other manual-trans conversion parts are expensive and somewhat uncommon at swap meets today. 

The 69 could very well have a 350-300hp motor (very desirable). Today, even a 1969-dated 350 bare block is in big demand. Lots of other 1969-dated underhood components have some value, such as a 4-barrel intake, power brake booster, master cylinder, exhaust manifolds, radiator, fan blade and clutch fan, ignition coil, distributor, water pump, wiper motor, etc. Of course, either car could have a big block (although I don't SEE the big block emblem on the side of the 66 Impala, and it would seem LIKELY that a big-block 1969 Impala would have had disc brakes). And many air cleaners are now hard to get. 

Consoles for these cars are very desirable (not sure if they were available in 4-door hardtop 69 Impalas, but they definitely were in 66 2-door hardtops). And consoles mean bucket seats, which are quite expensive today...in almost any condition. That 66 2-door hardtop could have nice original GM glass with proper date codes, which are certainly in demand. Then there is the bright trim too. 

Other options are also possible with these cars, such as tilt steering columns, factory AM-FM radios, gauge packages, 12 bolt rear ends (positraction or open),

Rosewood steering wheel (1969...uncommon but possible), padded dash pad (if intact), etc, etc. 

I have fooled around with collectible Chevy cars from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's since they were nearly-new used cars. And I have harvested many, many desirable options from unlikely looking junkers.  

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, Valerie said:

Hi all, I’m trying to determine the value of two Chevy Impalas. We have titles for both. One is a 1965 Chevy impala 2 door coupe L6/V8 and the other is a 1965 Chevy impala 4 door sports sedan (hardtop) L6/V8. Both have been out in the elements for many many years. Pictures attached. Thanks in advance your help. 

65D18F72-5675-4BEC-ACC7-177ACF51C5A4.jpeg

631E7AAF-2375-4C00-B6C8-E7594609E0FB.jpeg

Thank you all for your feedback. All the comments are very much appreciated. 

9 hours ago, lump said:

I have fooled around with collectible Chevy cars from the 1950's, 60's, and 70's since they were nearly-new used cars. And I have harvested many, many desirable options from unlikely looking junkers.  

If one is close enough, they can be checked out in person without too much expense.   Otherwise, ask the seller for more photos, including underhood and interior shots.  

There are a few '69 Chev 4-doors with buckets & console, including at least one Kingswood wagon.

Craig

• Like 1

Lump, you are spot on! I work with young guys building bean field trucks and drag trucks and they are always after me for aluminum Powerglides. Built they are good for 2000 HP!  I tell them I got lots, but that Corvair PG is not what they need.🤣

Manual transmission hardware/linkage is good too. No one kept that.

A nice option on 66s is the console four gauge cluster.

• Like 2