1932-33 Cycle Fendered Hupmobiles

alsancle

For decades ( say 1950s to early 1970s) there was a great guy who lived in western Connecticut who had two of these! one was two shades of tan , I can't recall his name as he is long gone and I believe sold the cars before he passed away. He was always at the HCCA Fairfield County Region Sept. car show in Ridgefield, Ct. - that region eventually became a combination ACCA and AACA region. Really nice fellow and we had some correspondence and in person chats about what is being discussed here about the 'cycle' fenders. All this took place 40 years ago. Bob S. will remember the cars for sure and the fellow who owned them hopefully.

I remember him and his cars as he was one of the very few who owned Hupmobiles, the only other Hupmobile owner I knew and was a very close friend was Les Cutting of Huntington, NY who had a 1924 Hupmobile touring car.

• Like 4

Walt, The Ridgefield Meet was later run in Redding Ct. and I remember three Hupmobiles side by side and I believe they were all owned by the same person. The black Victora with red wire wheel is the one I remembered.  That was the collection I thought George & Manny bought when George told me they bought Cycle fendered Hupmobiles. Les Cutting was a great guy, bought my first copy of Dykes auto encyclopedia from him at the first Rhinebeck meet I went to, that was the second meet they ever ran. Bought lots of stuff at his estate auction, one of the great hobby guys I still think of often. 

Bob 

• Like 2

While the black wall tires may look better to some of us (including me?), I notice that the car show photo and newspaper clippings on page one all show whitewalls! However we all know that the manufacturers dressed up the cars and made them flashier to attract potential buyers. But as I look at so many era photographs, and see so few whitewalls in those photographs? Black walls just look more natural to me, as well as not detracting as much from the car itself!

• Like 4

AJ:
To sell the design to Hupmobile management, Raymond Loewy had this custom-bodied convertible sedan on an eight-cylinder Hupmobile chassis built.  The coachbuilder has not been identified, though one suspects it could be European or one of the smaller, less-known American houses.   Loewy, as a fashion designer, wasn't known for automotive design.  He did provide Hupmobile with the "cycle-fender" design series and the follow-up 1934-'36 Aerodynamic.
Personally, I suspect this Hispano-Suiza by Million-Guiet may have been the inspirational source for the design.  It would have appeared in 1930 publications in the timeframe Loewy was developing the design for Hupmobile.  Although it may not have been the sole inspiration, the multiple design details are too numerous to have been coincident.
Steve

'30 Hupmobile Loewy custom cycle-fender concept a.jpg

'30 Hispanno-Suiza H6C Million-Guiet cabriolet design rendering.jpg

'30 Hispanno-Suiza H6C Million-Guiet cabriolet a.jpg

'30 Hispanno-Suiza H6C Million-Guiet cabriolet b.jpg

• Like 4

I think the Hupp in green looks ok either way with the tire option………but the spot lights and trunk rack need to find the trash can. The Hupp guys seem to be very loyal to their brand. They drive their stuff more than many other smaller clubs, and seem to have above average attendance than one would expect. Most of them that I know are extremely elderly now…….and it doesn’t seem any younger people are stepping in or filling in the ranks. Interestingly……..I have never driven or worked on any Hupp………..and now I am going to make an effort to take a few for a spin.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

I think the Hupp in green looks ok either way with the tire option………but the spot lights and trunk rack need to find the trash can. The Hupp guys seem to be very loyal to their brand. They drive their stuff more than many other smaller clubs, and seem to have above average attendance than one would expect. Most of them that I know are extremely elderly now…….and it doesn’t seem any younger people are stepping in or filling in the ranks. Interestingly……..I have never driven or worked on any Hupp………..and now I am going to make an effort to take a few for a spin.

Come to Ohio some day, Ed. You're welcome to drive my late '23 Hupp Model R touring. It needs restoration these days, but I haven' the heart (or space or time) to do the job. So I drive it as is. Fairly fast for a 1923 4 cyl. 

IMG_6009.JPG

• Like 6

On 8/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, alsancle said:

You guys will have to forgive me.   I have always heard "cycle fender" used to describe the Raymond Loewy designed 32/33 Hupp models vs the traditionally styled models they were selling at the same time.

Maybe it is just a Hupp club thing or maybe I made it up.

Alsancle, No need for forgiveness here... I was merely asking the question. I've never had an expert on vintage body styles show me exactly what is meant by "cycle fenders." I have heard the term applied to Hupmobiles many times over the years, but usually in a situation where I was not looking directly at said car, or even a photo. I had my own sort of, "assumption" of what a cycle-fender feature was, but it was just an assumption. This time, I could clearly see the side view of the car in question, and I did not see the specific features which I assumed comprised a "cycle-fender car." So I was seeking clarification from folks who know more about it than I do. 

Anyway, I love seeing your posts on here. You obviously have had a great deal of experience with the older vintage cars. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

30 plus years ago and for at least two seasons of car shows there was a cycle fendered hup 7 passenger sedan that showed up in several car corrals in the Indiana area. It was as big and impressive as anything of the classic era, enough so that it left an impression on me all these years later, and I have never seen another. I recall the price was high enough to put you in Super 8 packard money with a condition that now might get left alone and called a survivor but then was a car that needed a full restoration. My dad made more than one attempt to bring it home but could never get the price down or his desire to pay worked up.  It sure was an impressive car though. 

49 minutes ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Looks like it might be a special body by Murphy? .....Special Windshield, wrap-a-round cowl flowing into the doors, doors opening from the front, & disappearing top.

Yes Jim, I believe that is a Murphy body.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Hupp is sold. Whenever I think Manny has something over priced, I always get educated when he sells it. This has happened at least a half a dozen times.

We all have a value matrix. Some are too rigid and frozen by experiential data. Given the value of the USD could be seen as a bargain.

• Like 1

This is being auctioned off tomorrow.  It is the smaller eight cylinder which you can tell by the louvers instead of the vent doors.   I'm assuming the 122" wheelbase vs the 126" wheelbase is achieved by taking 4" out of the hood.   If somebody is interested,  we have some forum members nearby that could maybe take a look.

https://www.remlingerauctions.com/lot/1932-huppmobile/

7-8.jpg

20221005_093305.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George K said:

The difference between big and small eight is dramatic. Nice old car but wonder why the low original mileage quoted in the details 2,513 miles. Not a good sign if true.

I have never driven either, so I have no first-hand experience. But since I’m somebody who walks around with a tape measure, and judge cars by the length of their hoods. I think 4 inches in the hood is a big deal. Even if it’s just sitting in your garage of art.

• Like 6

There is something wrong here... When street rodders put bucket seats in vintage cars, they quite often put the seats in such a way that the outside edge is parallel to the sill, instead of placing the seat in such a way that the center line of the seat is parallel to the center line of the vehicle. Maybe someone extra tall repositioned the driver's side seat, but it all looks wrong to me. Do you guys agree?

Dragone-Hupp-6.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

There is something wrong here... When street rodders put bucket seats in vintage cars, they quite often put the seats in such a way that the outside edge is parallel to the sill, instead of placing the seat in such a way that the center line of the seat is parallel to the center line of the vehicle. Maybe someone extra tall repositioned the driver's side seat, but it all looks wrong to me. Do you guys agree?

Dragone-Hupp-6.JPG

I’m guessing the battery is under the passenger seat and the cushion has been dislodged.  This distorts the picture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

A friend sent this to me today.  From Floyd Clymer's "Cars of the Stars".   George Raft is driving.  Note the lack of sidemounts.

Hupp-With-GeorgeRaft.jpg

Looks much cleaner but I’m not a side mount admirer. Like the flowing accentuation on the cowl when it’s visible. Google George Raft. That guy was a piece of work.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, alsancle said:

A friend sent this to me today.  From Floyd Clymer's "Cars of the Stars".   George Raft is driving.  Note the lack of sidemounts.

Hupp-With-GeorgeRaft.jpg

Raft's Hupmobile was a 1932 Series F-222 on the 122" wb, the 261 ci straight eight.  The groups of hood louvers identify the F-222; Series I have hood doors.  The Series I-226 on the 126" wb straight eight is 280 ci.  For the 1933-'34 Series I-326 & I-426 the straight eight was enlarged to 303 ci.  That 303 ci straight eight was their sole eight cylinder through the 1939 Series H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Raft's Hupmobile was a 1932 Series F-222 on the 122" wb, the 261 ci straight eight.  The groups of hood louvers identify the F-222; Series I have hood doors.  The Series I-226 on the 126" wb straight eight is 280 ci.  For the 1933-'34 Series I-326 & I-426 the straight eight was enlarged to 303 ci.  That 303 ci straight eight was their sole eight cylinder through the 1939 Series H.

Steve, I’ve noticed some of the cars have slanted grills and some do not. How do you distinguish between a 32 and a 33?

• Like 1

I will chime in - not fond of cowl mounted spotlamps, though also not fond of repairing holes from someone priors handiwork.  This is just one of those cars that regardless of personal taste should just be left alone, enjoyed, and hopefully put out onto a lot of show fields.  I would probably not touch it other than perhaps the black carpet may be better suited in another color.  Also - GREAT ART DECO CAR.   AND AWESOME IT IS THE LARGE SERIES WHICH MAKES IT AS RARE AS RARE COMES.

• 3 months later...