GM Factory Restorations Rumored

The factory restoration scene used to be quite limited, with maybe a handful of automakers in Europe doing them. Then the Japanese automakers started launching their own programs and now the practice seems to be spreading to the US. At least, a recent filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office would indicate that’s the plan.

That filing was for the name “GM Restoration” with a list of old-school components like carburetors. It doesn’t take a genius to realize this could mean General Motors is weighing launching its own factory restoration program.

© Provided by MotoriousGM Factory Restorations Rumored

Before you get too excited, there is no official announcement from GM. Automakers routinely make filings with USPTO and never use the names registered, despite many automotive journalists loudly declaring that a filing is proof positive something is coming down the pipeline.

Even if GM does move on this factory restoration idea, it might be years before we see the results. After all, these sorts of programs are complicated. Sure, it’s possible GM already had this plan underway and registered the name as one of the latter details before a launch, but that’s unlikely.

© Provided by MotoriousGM Factory Restorations Rumored

With interest in classic GM cars and trucks high, it seems to make sense that the automaker would do something like this. After all, plenty of owners of Chevelles, Corvettes, C10s, Camaros, Impalas, DeVilles, etc. would jump at the chance to get factory-original parts and have their ride restored through an official program.

Automakers stand to benefit from rewarding people for collecting and cherishing classic models. That kind of enthusiasm helps build brand loyalty and it’s great advertising for others when they see a beautifully restored classic rolling down the road. If GM does go down this path, how long will it be until Mopar and Ford follow?

image.png

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)

It would be a great idea for those with deep pockets. I dont see this happening as a restoration process though. Agree with Jim S that sounds like they are just protecting their name. Even if they were to do something I think you hit the nail on the head with the first pic. Would be geared towards the 'vette. I would bet you my next million dollars that one would never be able to get an old caddy restored that way. 

• Like 1

This rumor has been all over the interwebs for the last few days. GM Restoration Parts has licensed repro parts vendors for years. I don't really understand why people would think this is anything different. GM just wants to extract their pound of flesh from repro vendors and restoration shops. I wouldn't read a lot into this; it's more likely a licensing for outside restoration vendors. And frankly, do you really want a car restored to the same level of quality as these cars had from the factory?

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Today's corporations are operated as departmental profit centers, "profit silos", that achieve a high ROI. When you see "economies of scale" at their full benefit it is easy to understand that these ideas are nowhere inline with the wishes of the stockholder. GM is not in the used car business or is it an aftermarket plants manufacturer.

I had a similar situation in the mid-1990's when I tried to nudge DuPont into the recycled and reclaimed refrigerant business with a business plan and a patented process. They said "We sell new refrigerants. That is what our stockholders expect. Good idea, do it yourself".  We were too early in the market in that instance.

Companies work on very defined mission plans. Stories like this rarely hold up in a compelling business case.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I'm very doubtful of GM's ability to pull this off.  They have the knowledge, but not the business philosophy.

IMHO:  They couldn't afford to do this, way outside their business model.

Unlike Mercedes and BMW which had limited model lineups for decades, where would GM even begin to decide which models to reproduce or license parts for?  The aftermarket has covered Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, Tri-Five Chevies, '64-'72 intermediates and some trucks.  A few other models have had sporadic coverage of in-demand parts.  GM sold and scrapped much of their tooling, so a car restoration program would be unlikely.  In addition, GM is struggling to regain market share, so this can't be a high priority.

• Like 1

A lot of parts for GM cars were made by outside suppliers, some of them still have the old tooling and could make identical replacement parts. The GM authorization would be the seal of approval or guarantee of quality. It could be good business for GM if they collect fees and have no other responsibility but to monitor the quality of the parts.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Like has already been suggested, IMHO it's part of a continuing effort to control the brand name and anything related to it.

I know Ford has done it.  I recall several years ago when they cracked down and "raided" some vendors at Carlisle for selling unlicensed/unauthorized items.

Terry

19 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Unlike Mercedes and BMW which had limited model lineups for decades, where would GM even begin to decide which models to reproduce or license parts for?  The aftermarket has covered Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, Tri-Five Chevies, '64-'72 intermediates and some trucks.  A few other models have had sporadic coverage of in-demand parts.  GM sold and scrapped much of their tooling, so a car restoration program would be unlikely.  In addition, GM is struggling to regain market share, so this can't be a high priority.

I can see there being a market for Corvettes.  Their body component supplier is still alive and well, and currently provides the latest C8 bodies.  https://www.moldedfiberglass.com/

If MFG doesn't have the original molds, the blueprints for everything from the C1 must exist in Bowling Green, or Detroit.

Craig