Brown White Walls

32PONTIAC

Any ideas what to help remove brown stains on brand new white wall tires?

i got new tires from Universal "Lesters" and the turned brown 1st day out

in the sun, I would like to clean up for some shows They are going to replace them

sometime next year when stock is available.

It's most likely not going to come out. I'm in the same boat with my '69 Toronado and new tires. The ONLY whitewalls I have found that don't do that come from Diamondback Tire. They have a special process to prevent that from happening. I have them on my Lincoln and they're as white as can be. Going to get some DBs for the Toro soon.

They may CLAIM that such stains are from tires' white areas

touching the black of other tires when stacked or stored.

Seeing that the tires come already wrapped, I tend to doubt that.

I think it may be from the manufacturing process, which

likely is not in the U. S. A.

• Like 1

I have been using the #600 to 800 grit wet sandpaper with Westley's for years. It has always worked for me. There is always a trifolded sheet in my wheel wash bucket.

And the whitewalls are the only part of my car that gets washed with a hose and water. The rest is always spray detailer or Rainex glass cleaner. Maybe a little touch of Oxy on upholstery, but rarely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Along with bleche white I also use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads for minor touch up. I wouldn't hesitate using the bleche white with a scrub brush on your WW's.

This problem is preventable only by the manufacturer.

20 years ago it was a common problem for Coker Tires and Diamondback Classic Tires & others.   This is my experience anyway.

I returned both  brands for replacement until they fixed their manufacturing process.   Once they added a barrier between the black part of the tire and white wall, the problem was solved.   When you first notice the brown, start the return & replace process.

I'm a a whitewall guy and brown walls are not acceptable.    When ordering you might be advised to ask about their "Brown wall policy".   

Until they force their manufacturer to install a barrier in manufacturing, you'll  get brown walls,

My choice now is Diamondback Classics, no brown walls and they clean up easily with Simple Green on a rag,   I use radial white and replace them every 7 years,  not for browning but for  safety.   I finished my 35 Buick in 1999 and I'm on my 4th set of Diamondbacks.   The forst set turned brown and were replaced.   All the others styed white with Simple Green taking off any scuffs.   I have them on my VW too.   

Note:  I put PriorityTies.com radial tires on my 81 El Camino with a 3/4" whitewallsBuick@Parkers.jpg.c916795a80a8d8d191e3fa1493348309.jpg.  No browning @ $73.99 each, free shipping

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a thought and a picture (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

This problem is preventable only by the manufacturer.

20 years ago it was a common problem for Coker Tires and Diamondback Classic Tires & others.   This is my experience anyway.

I returned both  brands for replacement untilr thry fixed their manufacturing process.   Once they added a barrier between thr black part

of the tire and white wall, the problem was solved.   When you first notice the brown, start the return & replace process.

I'm a a whitewall guy and brown walls are not acceptable.    When ordering you might be advised to ask about their "Brown wall policy".   

Until they force their manufacturer to install a barrier in manufacturing, you'll  get brown walls,

My choice now is Diamondback Classics, no brown walls and they clean up easily with Simple Green on a rag,   I use radial whites and

replace them every 7 years,  not for browning but for  safety.

Note:  I put PriorityTies.com radial tires on my 81 ElCamono with a 3/4" whitewall.  No browning @ $73.99 each, free shipping

Thanks, Paul. Very good info. 

Followed this before and I have used all the products and proceedures mentioned. The 600 X 22 Lester tires I know are probably over 30 years old with less than several hundred miles on them but only one side wall consitantly returns to brown.

DSCF5632.JPG.a7dccfe899f7f6f1d24e12e5ee5ce0c4.JPG

1858777143_20161029_1701381.jpg.afaff85b244645ca117fe09cf5af81a9.jpg

The problem was not a brown spot on the tire, it was a brown spot in the whitewall.   It was the tire black being absorbed by the white wall.

You could take whitewall paint an cover it up, but only until the tire flexed and then it would flake off like Tammy Faye Baker's makeup.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
underlined the cause o brown bleed in whitewall (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, 32PONTIAC said:

Any ideas what to help remove brown stains on brand new white wall tires?

i got new tires from Universal "Lesters" and the turned brown 1st day out

in the sun, I would like to clean up for some shows They are going to replace them

sometime next year when stock is available.

It has been a year since your post.

Did Universal ever replace your original tires as promised?

Yes , yes they did replace them it took 2 times of shipping me tires

back and forth to get a good set that didn't have brownish color or 

other problems. I have Firestones on car so far since mid winter 

the Lesters that I originally had couldn't be had just lots of problems

with them. 

• Like 1