Mark Smith NO RESERVE Auction - Lynchburg, VA - Oct 19 - 250+ cars

David Boor

I will NOT attend any on site auction that is charging a 15 percent bidders fee on automobiles. I understand the costs running a business. In this case, you want to bet the estate is paying ZERO for fees? That’s why the 100 dollars and the 15 percent. It’s a great collection, and many things there are unique. So they will get away with it in this instance. Normally I would attend just to chew the fat with the boys……….it certainly will be entertaining. If your interested just pay the 100 bucks for the spectacle………..he’ll it’s 200 to fill the tank on my Duramax. Fortunately there is a fantastic private tour later next week that I am attending. So missing it won’t bother me too much. I much rather spend time behind the wheel than at an auction. Whoever attends please post lots of photos and background info on the feel of the event. Thanks, Ed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I will NOT attend any on site auction that is charging a 15 percent bidders fee on automobiles. I understand the costs running a business. In this case, you want to bet the estate is paying ZERO for fees? That’s why the 100 dollars and the 15 percent. It’s a great collection, and many things there are unique. So they will get away with it in this instance. Normally I would attend just to chew the fat with the boys……….it certainly will be entertaining. If your interested just pay the 100 bucks for the spectacle………..he’ll it’s 200 to fill the tank on my Duramax. Fortunately there is a fantastic private tour later next week that I am attending. So missing it won’t bother me too much. I much rather spend time behind the wheel than at an auction. Whoever attends please post lots of photos and background info on the feel of the event. Thanks, Ed.

Eddie, you and I both know that the seller is paying both of the fees, even if one of them is called a “buyers“ fee.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, greenie said:

I am far enough away I need a hotel room. They are fairly expensive in the Lynchburg area.

You can thank Liberty University for that. There's always something LU-related that requires lodging  happening in Lynchburg, and the college's real estate portfolio owns a lot of the area hotels. Captive audience as it were.

Buyer Beware-many of the cars will be sold on bills of sale. Announcements on the days of sale only as to which vehicles with  convey with titles as they are still working on documents. We've heard the paperwork for the cars is a bit of a mess. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The online coverage with proxy bid was excellent. You could also listen live or watch the video feed; and jump back to the catalog to see upcoming lots. It looks like the top selling item was the 1937 airstream trailer at $155k. (Even without a vin plate or title?!?). As with all auctions, some sales are puzzling. The So-Cal Speed Shop license tag bracket for $500 seemed weird, they sell online for $12. 
You have to wonder how many items were prize funds at (many) past Hershey’s. Signs of a life well enjoyed. 

1 hour ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Honestly Kerry,

Whether or not a car has a title is nothing more than a minor inconvenience! All of the crap I read about people being so scared about a car without a title just makes me laugh. I have owned more than 200 vehicles in my life. Probably 50 of them came with a bill of sale & a tag receipt (which makes things very easy) or just a bill of sale & not ONCE did I not end up with a title, one way or another.

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

I don’t think it’s a matter of being scared about no title, it’s rather an assessment of risk.

One buys a car from either an estate auction such as this, or a collection being dispersed.

No title, money changes hands.  A week later, someone shows up with a valid title, saying “Well, Mark was just storing the car for me….” and the mess begins…

Yes, I’ve acquired a few of the 200 or so cars I’ve owned over the years with no title, but never high dollar cars, and usually when I knew the seller and the history of the car….

• Like 2

I received a car from an estate and still have no title. MD dmv says I need to go through the court system. I am hoping its just a few hoops to jump through, just havent had the time or inclination to so to date.

Another car I have has a misprinted title. I'll keep the story short but MD dmv said the issuing state has to make the correction. That state is Maine. I contacted them and they do not carry records for the car because its too old. As far as they are concerned the car does not exist!  Im hoping with the passage of time I can get MD to correct it.

I was talking to a chap for the first time whilst looking at a couple of cars he had for sale. He told me this story. 'He knows a guy that lives in NY. Worked for the dmv, before he retired he 'kept' a pile of blank title papers. Send him the info and he can get a title for you. Then transfer it to a buddy in another state and bingo he can get any car titled'.  Sounded a bit hinky to me and I steered wide right!

Interesting to see what was auctioned in that vast collection of cars, parts, boats and marine engines. I feel the same way about fees - yes someone has to pay to see the auction spectacle happen, get it advertised, provide food and drink(?) but does it all have to fall on the buyer? It is like having a flea market space at a major show and on top of what the price is you have on your stuff for sale if a sale is made you charge the buyer for the cost of the space, the gasoline to haul it there in a vehicle or trailer etc.

Some people enjoy the whole auction scene - just look on the TV at the theatrical arm waving, yelling and hopping up and down by the auction company employees etc. I just find this all a bit tiresome that is why i do not attend auctions. The last one I did was to specifically purchase a car that was there and there was no leaping around or yelling and I bought the car you see pictured next to my name here.  It was not a car everyone cares to own - 7 passenger , not the premier series of Packard ( only a standard 8 ) no tire covers but I loved it and still do . And it ain't no Do Well Cow L.  And it is a touring car not a Fay Ton.  I drive it, do not have the room nor $ to buy a cosy trailer and truck to haul it around in , heck it has wheels! It replaced my 31 Franklin Derham bodied car that I sold to my good friend Bob .

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like attending good auctions where they know what they are selling and don’t try to be like the TV auctions. All that screaming and waving about gets tiresome IMO.

It would have been interesting to see what exactly was stacked on the pallets but between the buy-in to attend plus the fuel and hotel costs it was prohibitive for idle curiosity.

I did keep an eye on the internet auctions and was pleased to add one mascot to my collection but prices were strong once you take the 23% buyers fee into it. I enjoyed seeing what went well, and what floundered as well. I think auctions are great learning tools for younger collectors as you can see the whole picture from perceived value to amount of interest in a specific item. 

My latest addition, which several people here have seen in other places…

C5A11C56-BA18-4B6F-B51E-67E516A30580.jpeg.5deb79c55c603054376ed5dcb7e9ace6.jpeg

• Like 2