1937 Studebaker President (3C) Fellow Owners

Good Morning All. 

Looking for fellow owners of the 1937 Studebaker President (3C).  Looking to build on additional resources within the vintage car community. 

Also, I'm trying to get past the 14 magical postings needed to allow direct emails to current members.

Hope you reply  

• Like 2

You should be able to email members.  Anyway- welcome and good luck.  The 37 is a popular model and very much 'collected up'  There are many surviving models and you should have no problem finding info, parts, and even help sometimes.

Apologies, I've been offline for a while.  My neighbor has a new backhoe and during an experimentation he found the buried phone line.  The last comments I had were to try the utility finders and place a north arrow on the "as built drawings" you sketched up.  But I am digressing. 

@(S)  

excellent, thanks for the feedback.

@serg37pres

I thought the name details were included in the signature block of the email.  As we can see it wasn't available.  With that said, my first name is Will and from Kent, Washington.  The phone number is shared in private emails and thank you for replying.

@SMB

Excellent.  I hope had better weather than we have had and have been driving.

@SC38dls

thanks for the reply.  I'm located in Kent, Washington. 

@Buffalowed Bill

My other car is a 1952 Chevy, Styleline Deluxe with a 216 ci Inline 6 cylinder, powerglide 

thanks for the replies everyone

Will 

Gee, if it counts, I've got a 1937 President engine in my Indy car.  I do have some sets of parts for sale to put four Stromberg EX-23 carbs (or others) on the straight 8.  I also have several reproduction distributor caps like the one in the photo below.

image.jpeg.1c7fa4d8663d5f1b86d566cdc57148e6.jpeg

2040004167_intakemanifoldsetannotated.jpg.bfb13514631e46cfb26e0ad2b99a308e.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Greetings from the other side of the Planet, Perth West Australia to be exact.

I have 3C which I obtained from Ballarat in Victoria. 

Would someone be able to post a photo of the text that goes on the air cleaner as I would like to get it replaced. 

Rod 

IMG_6712.JPG

• 4 months later...

I am just starting to restore my 1937 business coupe.  firewall plate is 37CQ-2

and the number 9 right below.  I think that means my body was the 9th coupe to come out

of the Studebaker body shop.  Question.. How many 1973 Studebaker coupes are known

to be in existence yet.  I'd like to see all firewall tags for it posted on this site..

The history of my car is this. Back in the fall of 1991 I was out hunting in grasslands of NW North Dakota. In a ravine I came across this Studebaker.   A few days later I contacted the landowner. He said that it was his brother’s car.  I tracked him down and he sold me the car after haggling over the price, I paid exactly $75.00 for this 1937 Studebaker Coupe. Now fast forward to today.  The 37’ has been stored in my machine shed since I picked it up in 1991.   I restore farm tractors, and am just about done with one.  On Jan 5, 2024 I took a bunch of pictures of the car and requested information on various car sights.  Dick Quinn sent  me info as to what I had.  I did not know that it was just one of a few.  It is a Business Coupe with the spare tires mounted in the front fenders. No rumble seat. So I will restore it in the original, inside and outside.  As it has no motor, tranny, or rear end, will be looking at newer equipment.  So. Anyone please PM me with any information. Especially SMB. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Just my opinion based on fact based data. Do the car as original and do it right and it could be worth in excess of $100K, make your anticipated alterations and chances are that you would have to accept much less. 

...because President straight 8s are so easy to come by and rebuild, right?

It’s always nice to see a photo posted of a car that I have restored.  Yes, I restored the maroon coupe, and I still regret allowing Mark Hyman to talk me out of it. I wanted to take it through the AACA judging system.

I finished the restoration as much as I could on a Friday evening.  I loaded the car into the trailer on Saturday and on Sunday set out for the 2015 SDC/ASC International meet in St Louis.  I knew that there were a couple of items that still needed to be done , but I wanted to get opinions from my friends on how I could improve the car to compete in the AACA.  Mark saw the car on the show field and announced that he had to have it.  I told him that I wasn’t interested in selling.  He kept after it, and asked me what my crazy “I don’t want to sell it price” was.  I quoted him a number that I thought would end the conversation, and all he said was “Can I look under the hood?”  He looked, and came up with an offer that I rejected and we negotiated a little and five minutes later he owned it. My wife was pissed that I sold it. She knew how much work I had put into it.

I’ve told the current owner that if he ever got tired of it that I might be interested in buying it back,  but I know that won’t happen. I’m into downsizing now and not really wanting to buy anything more.

A couple of observations on the numbers of these ‘37 President Coupes.  Dick Quinn published the production figures for all ‘37 cars in the May/June 2007 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review.  

There were only 26 cars built as 37C Q2.  20 as regular production and 6 as “State” models.  If Stud37 has body number 9, I think it’s really special that it survived in some form.

The body tag on the green car that Dick Quinn had shows body number 162.   There were only 165 of  37C Q3 bodies produced, so that car was just the third from the last.

I’ll second Bill’s statement that a restoration to original is the way to go.   These cars are too thin on the ground.

Now, if you need an original engine, I have a ‘35 Commander with a 250 straight 8 that I could sell for about the price to rebuild the engine alone. I think the biggest differences between ‘35 and ‘37 engines is that the fuel pump got moved and the master cylinder was moved off being mounted on the engine to a frame location.

Tom

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

37S2de.  I would be very interested in buying the engine you have.   Also the transmission. Yes. I really want to restore it to the original if I get a motor and transmission. Found a rear end so far. Don’t have rims yet. No hubcaps 

either  I’m looking for all the parts that I need, so a

nyon who can help, pm me  IMG_2708.png.931cb447bce6db6157e68466cbdfb6cf.pngIMG_2983.png.852a05189f94ef68fbab1489c24a6775.png

Thanks Tom for backing me up on this one. An alteration to most cars seem to be met with indifference today. However there are some cars that need to be given a fighting chance at survival. This car and similar 1936-37 President coupes just shout out to be saved.

For guys like Tom and me, who have been around these things for a long time it's an easy choice to choose restoration, but sadly that is not going to be the case with many new owners today. Thank you sir for making the effort to do it right.