Hub Puller for 1930 60 Series Buick

Erndog

Does anyone out there have a hub puller for a 1930 Buick (60 series) that they would be willing to rent out, loan, or sell?? The threads on the hubs appear to be 16 tpi and about 3 5/16" diameter.

I have tried the beating method and it does not seem to be working.

8 hours ago, Erndog said:

Does anyone out there have a hub puller for a 1930 Buick (60 series) that they would be willing to rent out, loan, or sell?? The threads on the hubs appear to be 16 tpi and about 3 5/16" diameter.

I have tried the beating method and it does not seem to be working.

One way that you might be able to get the rear wheels loose is to loosen the axle nuts a couple of turns and then drive the car in a figure eight.  It is not necessary to make it a speed sprint.  Slow and easy will many times loosen the wheel from the axle.  It has worked for me when I did not have a hub puller available.

Go to the hardware store and buy 3 extended length nuts in the thread size on your hub.  Buy a hub puller from cheapest place.  Mine came from harbor Freight.  assemble as seen in photo and the hub should pop off easily.  I couldn't find my extended nut for the photo and I only hooked up 2 legs for demo photo.  If your hub has internal female threads,  just buy some long bolts in the correct thread and thread them into the hub.

Bob Engle

hub pulling.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:44 AM, Robert Engle said:

Go to the hardware store and buy 3 extended length nuts in the thread size on your hub.  Buy a hub puller from cheapest place.  Mine came from harbor Freight.  assemble as seen in photo and the hub should pop off easily.  I couldn't find my extended nut for the photo and I only hooked up 2 legs for demo photo.  If your hub has internal female threads,  just buy some long bolts in the correct thread and thread them into the hub.

Bob Engle

hub pulling.jpg

Wish I thought of that a few months ago 

• 2 weeks later...

What am I doing wrong?? I got the three point puller and 9/16" couplers. I backed off the axle nut. I rigged up the puller and put more pressure on it than I care to admit. Then i whacked the end of the puller with a sledge hammer (not large, but big enough). NOTHING happened. I have been through lots of puller scenarios in the past and they always surrendered when hit under pressure. This one is acting like there is something else holding it.

I am open to any and all suggestions, as there must be more to it than I realize.

I wouldn't be surprised if an official 1930 Buick hub puller would just break my hub. It is that tight.

I would suggest you contact George Mcmurty and have him build you the correct puller.  I had him make me one and it pulled my stuck on hub right off.  Besides that it is a work of art.

• Like 1

A post above says he is back at it. I had him make one for my Buick and of course it works great.

If you keep trying the puller you are using I would put the axle nut back on your axle to keep it from hitting you if it does get free.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

A post above says he is back at it. I had him make one for my Buick and of course it works great.

If you keep trying the puller you are using I would put the axle nut back on your axle to keep it from hitting you if it does get free.

Dave

It's still not coming off. And of course, I would never do this without the nut being installed.

I had a similar experience with the pitman arm on my '38.  Wouldn't budge with my puller, even hittting the circumference using a second hammer opposite...  Finally, I gave up for the day and left the puller in place with tension on it.  Next morning I came back and the puller was on the floor and the pitman arm was up against the nut!  ;)

• Like 2

So I tried leaving tension on it overnight. I tried heat on the hub with tension and pounding. I sprayed with penetrating oil (questionable). Still not a d*m* thing. I am concerned about stressing the lug bolts. Is it better to limit heating to just the hub, the shaft, or both? I am convinced that a proper Buick hub puller that screws onto the hub would either break the hub or strip those threads, considering how tight this ^%@ thing is.

3 hours ago, Erndog said:

So I tried leaving tension on it overnight. I tried heat on the hub with tension and pounding. I sprayed with penetrating oil (questionable). Still not a d*m* thing. I am concerned about stressing the lug bolts. Is it better to limit heating to just the hub, the shaft, or both? I am convinced that a proper Buick hub puller that screws onto the hub would either break the hub or strip those threads, considering how tight this ^%@ thing is.

Try to just heat the hub part. Of course the hub extends back quite a ways so you are not getting all the benefit from the heat..... which is the problem.  another thing, try to pull the axel out before giving it a swat with the hammer. The little end play may work to your advantage. 

To remove the hubs on my 1931 8-57, without a puller, I removed the differential cover, then the screw, block and spider gears inside.  I then backed the hub nut off to just beyond the threads and whacked it with a hammer, which pushed the axel in and the hub came loose. 

Messy but easy. Also gave me a chance to clean out the housing and put in fresh oil.

• Like 3

Well, I took a hub cap and a detailed drawing to a local machine shop today. It may take a while to get it back, but It will be interesting to see how it goes. My luck, the hub will fracture circumferentially. 

Hub pullers with pinch bolts were designed for this type of work.  If it is installed correctly with the pinch bolt drawn up really tight it should pull the hub off.  Using other types of pullers may result in warping the drum or stripping the wheel lug bolt threads.  

• Like 1

Before you use this type of hub puller, be sure to put part of a drill the same size as the cotter pin hole in the hole.  When you tighten the hub puller up, you can crush the end of the axle, damage the threads, and close up the cotter pin hole. 

Just take the correct size of drill to match the hole, put it in, cut it off and when done knock it out with a drift.  It will save you a lot of work, time, and aggravation.

Buick Hub Puller.jpg

On the one I made for my 1925 Standard I used a 3/8"Dia. ball bearing to keep pressure concentric to the center of the axle.

DSCF1335.JPG.bb08c95e806f11d41fadd2ee00553bb7.JPG DSCF1336.JPG.041bbb19af29ad7457752fdcfdee4f10.JPG

I had to sent it to Mark Shaw in Vancouver, WA. He was to knock down the entire axle assembly to ship to me in PA. He had to remove a very stuborn wheel that had already had the hub heated.

IMG_20200319_102129170.jpg.55c1c6aad4f5460a02725a5fcbacab7c.jpg

It still took a bit of persuasion!

• Like 3