Car Theft No. 1 In NYC

jeff_a

2 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

How do you hotwire a car from 1903?  In time to not get shot I mean.

Even in a city the size of NYC at the time, how many people would have known how to operate it?

• Like 2

That would be a London-To-Brighton-eligible car....maybe that's why it was horked.🙂

The same issue said there were only 25 cars in all of India; and that the locals thought them to be unearthly things, each one powered by a god.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, GregLaR said:

Pretty sporty looking in 1903.   I can see why thieves would choose it.

thomas.jpg.ccf8ef1c052afcabebd847a6812389a8.jpg

Nice.

Actually a good trivia question for enthusiasts. 
So that is how the Tonneau cover came about. I'll be darned

The biggest problem to most people today to try to drive a really early car, is what they are convinced they know about driving! Remember, that automobiles in the early days were designed to be driven by people that had never even ridden in a car! Planetary transmissions were most popular for most early cars because they were easy to use. Ford was NOT the only one! Cars with a clutch and gear shifting required more training. The average mechanically inclined farmer or shop worker could usually get one going and with that planetary transmission make it run down the street at a rip-roaring eight miles per hour without too much effort.

As for hot-wiring? Why? Most cars had an off/on switch. Not even a key on most in those days.

A longtime good friend has a 1903 Thomas! Neat car!

Apparently it was fairly simple. You needed the coil box key and if it had been left in the car or in a nearby one you were set. Just as today you don’t leave your keys n the car, back then you made sure to slip the coil box key in your pocket.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:18 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

Nice.

Actually a good trivia question for enthusiasts. 
So that is how the Tonneau cover came about. I'll be darned

120 years ago, you could get a car like this with just the front seat assembly. By adding a rear seat unit, you had a 5-passenger car. On some cars, you could easily go back and forth. Where that curved line behind the front seat is on the Thomas, is probably where they separated. 

A car like that would be a 5-passenger tonneau, a tonneau cover is a retractable cover on the back of a pickup or sometimes over seating of a convertible sports car.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)