I have bought and sold Motometers for a long time and have a modest collection. I was working on some recent acquisitions and realized there were some questions I have never found a good answer to so here goes. The smaller Midget and Junior sizes are self explanatory and the larger Universal series are also quite uniform in size and application. My questions involve the largest "Standard" series classification.  Although all Standard meters are the same height and diameter there are at least three different styles regarding body thickness, thermometer diameter, and threaded base diameter. The smallest version has a body thickness of 7/16", thermometer diameter of 1/8", and base diameter of 7/16" (Similar to Midget and Junior) The middle sized and most common type has a body thickness of 9/16". thermometer diameter of 1/4", and base diameter of 9/16". The fairly rare largest size has a body thickness of 3/4", a thermometer diameter of 5/16" and base diameter of 11/16". My questions are:

• Why were the three sizes made, and how did Boyce classify them in their marketing?
  • Were they intended for specific vehicle groups? Such as smallest for a Dodge or Chevy and largest for a Packard or a truck?
  • Did the different thermometer and base diameters affect their accuracy or suitability for specific vehicles?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

20220603_135802.jpg

20220603_135823.jpg

20220603_135839.jpg

20220603_135844.jpg

20220603_135851.jpg

20220603_135910.jpg

20220603_135959.jpg

20220603_140004.jpg

• Like 1

This should help answer your questions about the different sizes that were available.   As you can see in the advertising, the larger sizes were intended for larger, more prestigious vehicles.   The second ad lists the Delux model as specifically for "high-grade passenger cars."  An example of the Delux model is shown in the third photo.  I have seen the Delux version also referred to as a "Senior" model.   I have a selection of motometers NOS in original boxes that I'll take some photos of later when I have an opportunity. 

It was up to the vehicle owner to determine which model would more appropriately fit their vehicle.  Name plates with car and truck names could be purchased and installed on them making them specific to a particular vehicle.  Some dealerships had their own name plates made and installed them on dealer supplied motometers.  I suspect that over the years they were produced, there were some running changes in them so that might add to the confusion.

I have no data on how efficient the various models might have been but they were one of the most popular automotive accessories ever marketed. 

There are many internet resources to learn more about the history of them.

They are a great thing to collect, although there are a lot of evil-bay sellers who think they are worth a small fortune.   I recently purchased an excellent early example on a superb dog-bone cap for $45.00. 

Terry

Boyce advertising.jpg

Boyce advertising 2.jpg

Delux model NOS.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Terry. I always thought the Deluxe name referred to the fully plated versions of the Standard, Universal, and Junior models with the wreath design bezels and filagreed screws. How were they marketed compared to the plain bezel models in the pictures?

This also does not explain the small mount version with the full size top.

20220603_135844.jpg

20220603_135839.jpg

Marketing?  Well, as one of the most popular accessory items ever produced, they were marked through auto accessory stores, catalog operations, garages, repair-shops, and even dealerships, where many accessories were sold, whether or not they were actually endorsed by the manufacturers themselves.  Many dealerships were independent and sold multiple brands of automobiles, so they always had a good line of accessories available too. Even country gas stations represented marketing opportunities for Boyce products. 

I have about 150 accessory catalogs in my collection and many of them have ads for Boyce Motometers.  However, the multiple nuances in them is not usually explained in those ads.  Logically thinking, a smaller size mounting flange would have been produced for installation on smaller radiator caps.  Such information is most likely explained in original Boyce catalogs or technical information that would not have been available to the public.   Perhaps the AACA Library has an original Boyce catalog or other literature than can help answer your specific questions. 

Boyce Motometers became obsolete of course when external radiator caps began disappearing and when auto manufacturers started supplying in-dash temperature gauges. 

The photos are from a display case in the recreated old auto parts store I've set up in my barn.  I'm more of an "accumulator" than a collector but do have interest in them, especially new or in great condition.  There is also a photo of one that was given to me by a friend that has a faceplate advertising the Cruise-Crawford truck.   The last two pics are of my recent find in a North Carolina antique mall.  It was in plain sight in a showcase clearly marked $45.00.  It included the nice dogbone cap it sits on.  I'll buy them like that anytime!

Happy collecting,

Terry

Boyce my display 1.jpg

Boyce my display 2.jpg

Boyce my display 3 Delux model in box.jpg

Boyce my display 5.jpg

Boyce my display 6 Cruise Crawford truck logo.jpg

Boyce my display 7.jpg

Boyce my display 8.jpg

• Like 2

Terry, love that catalog, especially the prices! I do find it interesting that none of the models shown include the wreath bezels and matching screws often seen, and the only Standard model shown is the black painted body type even though many were nickel plated. Do you think that was based on the time period of the catalog or ???

My guess it’s the printing era of the catalog.  Certainly making the device more ornate would aid in its sale to people who want something to dress up their car.  I don’t collect MotoMeters but I sure do enjoy seeing the many versions that are out there!

• Thanks 1

That's a great catalog. If you want to print a few good copies I'd gladly buy one.

Terry

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a site the explains how to repair one?  I have a Sr model on my 1925 KISSEL Speedster.  I have successfully disassembled and will buy a Sr thermometer from Restoration Supply, but would like to get started removing the glass tube from the housing.  Thoughts?IMG_1343.JPG.abca6d1ea2f5de538629b65f71ec1b9e.JPGIMG_1349.JPG.b9c70d01ae1eaabffd2eb46cc6724d83.JPGIMG_1348.JPG.78355312cdd01a08dbd6df1c661f7258.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DBKissel said:

Does anyone know of a site the explains how to repair one?  I have a Sr model on my 1925 KISSEL Speedster.  I have successfully disassembled and will buy a Sr thermometer from Restoration Supply, but would like to get started removing the glass tube from the housing.  Thoughts?IMG_1343.JPG.abca6d1ea2f5de538629b65f71ec1b9e.JPGIMG_1349.JPG.b9c70d01ae1eaabffd2eb46cc6724d83.JPGIMG_1348.JPG.78355312cdd01a08dbd6df1c661f7258.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

I’ve taken several apart. The old thermostat and tube come out of the housing and can be replaced with new ones you can buy. Restoration used to have replacement thermocouple body and tube sets. Maybe they still do. All the other parts disassemble. Getting everything to face correctly is a pain in the posterior.

Ron Hausmann 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had a bout a 50% success rate.   For restoring the Moto-Meter thermometer fluid level from the top back down to the normal level.  I used boiling water, ice cubes and about a 3 ft length of heavy duty twine.  First you dip the Moto-Meter stem into the ice water for while.  Then into the boiling water for a few minutes.  Next tie the twine

to the disassembled Meter on the top.  Last but not least you spin the heck out of the Meter.   Holding on to the end of the twine so the centrifugal force of the spinning will bring the thermometer fluid back down to the normal level.  The boiling water and ice water are used to help shock and free up the thermometer fluid.  With the spinning forcing it back down, hopefully...  I think I read about doing this little "trick" somewhere in the archives of this forum.

Capt. Harley😉

"Back when Men were Men, Women were Women and Cars were Cars.  And everybody liked it that way."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 4:37 PM, Captain Harley said:

I've had a bout a 50% success rate.   For restoring the Moto-Meter thermometer fluid level from the top back down to the normal level.  I used boiling water, ice cubes and about a 3 ft length of heavy duty twine.  First you dip the Moto-Meter stem into the ice water for while.  Then into the boiling water for a few minutes.  Next tie the twine

to the disassembled Meter on the top.  Last but not least you spin the heck out of the Meter.   Holding on to the end of the twine so the centrifugal force of the spinning will bring the thermometer fluid back down to the normal level.  The boiling water and ice water are used to help shock and free up the thermometer fluid.  With the spinning forcing it back down, hopefully...  I think I read about doing this little "trick" somewhere in the archives of this forum.

Capt. Harley😉

"Back when Men were Men, Women were Women and Cars were Cars.  And everybody liked it that way."

I did the same for my 25 dodge woody worked like a charm! John

On 9/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, 29 Chandler said:

I found this Moto Meter underneath the seat in my 1914 Chandler after I brought it home. Wondering if you can date these? The housing looks to be chrome which would make it newer than my car.

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Nice one, that logo plate is quite unique. I once thought there were chrome plated original Motos but now I doubt it. All the chrome ones I have found are either replated (obvious upon disassembly) or newer reproductions.  Yours has original logo plates and nickel plated bezels installed in (I think) either a replated or reproduction body. By the way, the back plate should be behind the thermometer.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Saw those for sale in the store in Iowa

We stopped there while at the AACA meet in Moline last year. Prices were not ridiculous for some nice ones.

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can someone please explain how to determine if the one I have is a junior or senior? I need a replacement thermometer and restoration supply only have the senior ones. I need to get it to Australia and don't want to wait on crazy shipping to be disappointed that it may be wrong and difficult to return.

5 hours ago, Fordy said:

Can someone please explain how to determine if the one I have is a junior or senior? 

It is the face diameter, model a Fords used the junior size, and I think the senior was 1/2" larger. Chevrolets & Fords used Jr. and large cars used the Sr.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Double posting here but I have a number of Boyce Motometers and associated accessories for sale on Ebay right now. Included are a Buick Universal Deluxe meter, A chrome Junior Deluxe mounted on a Stanco pop-top cap, a very nice nickel brass drilled dogbone cap, and a very rare Essandee Glo-Light accessory lamp to fit a Boyce meter. Thanks for looking.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rusty_packard/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

moto3406.jpg

moto3404.jpg

cap3403.jpg

glo3414.jpg

Edited by TexRiv_63
some sold (see edit history)

• 8 months later...