Repairing a damaged trunk lid.

I thought I would post pictures showing how to repair a damaged truck lid. People on this forum liked other DIY posts on how to do things. This is just one way of doing it. Because of how bad it was damaged, pulling the dent from the outside was not really an option. License plate light assembly was broken and smashed. A replacement one was located. Handle and latch assembly was not damaged. And Chrysler trunk emblem was not damaged. Easy repair to do with basic tools. I did use the English Wheel to roll the trunk skin through. A person could use a hammer and dolly, I did on some of it.

66EFC2A7-18DA-4E58-B96C-9CB7B57E5775.jpeg

F51615AF-E522-4CC8-B524-F57233A8CE9C.jpeg

09FBFC8D-54DC-417C-A9DC-9985ED3E67B7.jpeg

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Xander,,

Welcome Back!   we missed your expertise.  Thanks/

By the looks of the green Cadillac (Also rearended,)  you may want to invest in third brake lights for the 

other drivers to be able to see when you are slowing down.  Our small tail lights down low on the fenders

are not noticed by many drivers.

• Haha 1

Straightened out the license plate frame. Welded up the drilled out spot welds. Bolted on the latch assemblies and new license plate light. Reinstalled the trunk lid. This is the bulk of the damage on the car. A few small dents on the fenders. And a few holes from target shooters.

6F6CE3BA-1646-47B2-84C8-3B532F8E9CA7.jpeg

3511DBAF-EDFD-496B-8D28-09F85C486B2D.jpeg

E51E2910-918D-402C-BC1A-DEB1D7D9CD09.jpeg

DF06FCB3-E2B8-414F-A7B8-F8C73F218AC9.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Xander,,

Welcome Back!   we missed your expertise.  Thanks/

By the looks of the green Cadillac (Also rearended,)  you may want to invest in third brake lights for the 

other drivers to be able to see when you are slowing down.  Our small tail lights down low on the fenders

are not noticed by many drivers.

Cadillac trunk lid is an easy fix.

AB2DC759-BEB2-48C5-9B9B-7D4166468EA9.jpeg

• Like 1

I love posts like this one.Not having much experience in body work,I'm always interested in tips on how to do things like this.I don't have an English wheel,but I've gotten several dents really smoothed out with a shrinking disc.My next project has a pretty rough quarter panel that's going to be a real challenge.

Your work here is really nice.Are you planning to restore that car or just leave it as it is?

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I love posts like this one.Not having much experience in body work,I'm always interested in tips on how to do things like this.I don't have an English wheel,but I've gotten several dents really smoothed out with a shrinking disc.My next project has a pretty rough quarter panel that's going to be a real challenge.

Your work here is really nice.Are you planning to restore that car or just leave it as it is?

The Chrysler is very complete, and the engine bay has not been messed with. Story told to me, car was parked in 1954. Nobody says “this car runs great, park it out in the field” Something took it off the road. It’s secrets will come out the more you dive into it. The 41 Cadillac was very complete when I bought it. Parked in the early 70’s. Pulled in the garage to work on the engine. Diving into that showed a broken piston. And the wrist pin in the rod went through the cylinder wall. That answered the question as what to do with the Cadillac.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the dash how I got the car. I bought a parts dash out of a 38 Royal. Placing the best parts in my car. The panel below the dash in the imperial, that houses the switches is plain. With no stamping in it. The one on the Royal dash has a pattern on it. Is the plain one correct for the imperial?

20AB1D80-B6E7-4448-9761-FCBC45773FF8.jpeg

FEAB3E85-48AD-4B19-BC3E-ED7B8C9E309C.jpeg

5C9B4196-CB39-4048-930E-3626241A5C59.jpeg

0D3D0543-1019-4B97-93AD-F00A5DAF03EC.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Question about pictures above. Was the Royal a fancier model, and finished out nicer than the Imperial?

Xander.

Glad you're back, your explanations with images of body and metalwork shaping are very informative and greatly appreciated.

To your question, the Royal Six was the lowest-priced, entry-level Chryslers beginning for 1937, continued in that position through 1950.  The use of the Imperial model name beginning for 1937 C-14 was a bit more muddled, applied to the basic eight-cylinder series selling in the upper middle-priced segment.  To add to the confusion, the lwb C-15 Imperial Custom were the top-line luxury series, essentially a long wheelbase version of the basic C-14 Imperial.  The Imperial nameplate got jockeyed around for the next few seasons before it again was reserved for their top-line luxury series.  Before that happened, the New York Special/New Yorker and Saratoga jumped above the Imperial for a few seasons before they took their places in the pecking order. 

Steve

• Like 2

Beautiful work. Thanks for posting as it gives us amateurs' something to shoot for when doing body work. 

I agree about the third stop light. I found one on line that fit directly above my license plate holder and it is very visible compared to the stock lights on the 38 Studebaker. 

dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I thought I needed a new hood for my car. It is not in the best of shape. Looking at what you accomplished with this trunk has me embarrassed to think that I wanted to buy new! I will be polishing up the dolly and hammer now.

• Like 2