Who is going to the Pre War swap meet in Luray Va?

It's coming up soon.  Watching the weather and hopefully it'll be a repeat of last year with a perfect weekend.  The vendor list grows every year and it's becoming a "can't miss" if you like early stuff. Bringing any old spark plugs???

Terry

• Like 1

Had been looking at being there with our '15 Hudson or '37 Roadmaster,

but both are not quite ready-

hope y'all have a great time

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Had been looking at being there with our '15 Hudson or '37 Roadmaster,

but both are not quite ready-

hope y'all have a great time

We're you coming to Luray? 

Terry

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

May 13-14. Haven't decided yet but between Luray and Shenandoah Expo the following weekend that would be back to back trips north!

I plan to be at both. Luray is only an hour away and the expo is 25 minutes from me. I'm happy to see the Pre-war swap meet growing. It was a three day event the first few years but I think changing it to a two day event has made it better. I hope to be there early Friday to buy!

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

We're you coming to Luray? 

Terry

I had hoped to be able , 

sometimes things just don't work out-

You met our grandson Nathan when you and Sue rode in our '37 Roadmaster many years ago.

His grad school graduation date was moved and is the same weekend in Illinois, so -

best plans of mice and men ...

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I had hoped to be able , 

sometimes things just don't work out-

You met our grandson Nathan when you and Sue rode in our '37 Roadmaster many years ago.

His grad school graduation date was moved and is the same weekend in Illinois, so -

best plans of mice and men ...

Wow, was it that long ago? Congrats to Nate, you should be very proud. We certainly enjoyed getting to meet him- and thanks for the ride. That was a great time that we'll always cherish.

Terry

• Thanks 1

I'm going to Luray and Beardsley cider mill in Shelton,Conn. first time for both. I'm looking for an nos or nice original paint left front fender for a 1923 Ford touring. I hope to see you all there.

16 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Wow, was it that long ago? Congrats to Nate, you should be very proud. We certainly enjoyed getting to meet him- and thanks for the ride. That was a great time that we'll always cherish.

Terry

Yes, and thank you for sharing the time with us way back then,

look at the first pic - you and Sue haven't changed !

and it has been 10 years since Nate earned his first AACA Judging Chip,

and was Youngest Driver on the Sentimental Tour-

Graduated two years ago (Virtual podium) Magna Cum Laude, Deans List/Presidents List all 4 years,

and now his Masters -

so maybe time to relax just a bit, 

and then find a job to start paying off those student loans

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 081.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 076.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 086.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 087.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 088.jpg

Founders Western PA 2010 1937 Buick 089.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics. I remember every mile of that tour. It was fantastic. 

Luray looks like it'll get wet. 

I'm going but how much I get to unpack depends on the weatherman. Brass will dry out and polish but wet weather and paper are not a good mix. Don't need wet literature.  Still though, can't miss a good swap meet.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rainy day in Luray but it let up around 10:00 or so and most everything got uncovered. Found a few great buys and had opportunity to speak to a lot of friends I haven't seen for awhile. Ran into @trimacarand many others so I had a good time. Bought a stack of 16" 1935 Ford wire wheels because for some reason I can't resist them so I'll add them to the pile in the building. Also found some cool accessories at a great price.

Dropped by the auction in Luray where they sold the 1915 Model T at noon for $5000 to a phone bidder. I might have been a player but not after I found out there was no title and the engine in it was from a 20s-something model. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Rainy day in Luray but it let up around 10:00 or so and most everything got uncovered. Found a few great buys and had opportunity to speak to a lot of friends I haven't seen for awhile. Ran into @trimacarand many others so I had a good time. Bought a stack of 16" 1935 Ford wire wheels because for some reason I can't resist them so I'll add them to the pile in the building. Also found some cool accessories at a great price.

Dropped by the auction in Luray where they sold the 1915 Model T at noon for $5000 to a phone bidder. I might have been a player but not after I found out there was no title and the engine in it was from a 20s-something model. 

Smart move. I’ve seen DMV discussions on here and Virginia is strict. The Vin is posted to an internal listing nationwide and the last owner of record is notified. It’s a 90 day process here as long as nobody claims  it. If ownership is disputed and found in favor of the other party you’re out of luck and money. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

Turned out to be a great weekend in Luray.  I got in Thursday PM and the field was dry as a bone. I came through some rains so thought for sure it would be wet and soggy there, but it was nice enough to see a lot of vendors setting up.  I got a preliminary look around and found some nice early T hubcaps ( a type not being reproduced).  I put up the awning and got the tables out anticipating a decent Friday.  It had rained early Friday Am but by about 9:30 things cleared off.  It was short pants and a t-shirt all day. Things dried out nicely and we had a great day visiting with old friends, buying and selling and just enjoying another Luray swap meet.  It so much reminds me of the good old days when it was such a laid back occasion with club members clearing out under the workbench or the storage room.  I never ceases to amaze the number of trailer loads of T and other really early parts being hauled fresh "out of the barn." The VFW fed us well again that evening.  Saturday morning it rained again very early and I went back in for a little more shopping and to sell a few items.  With rain moving in again early in the afternoon I headed for home.   My goodie box was stuffed with nice early brass hubcaps, a complete speedometer set for a 1912-13 T (including all the brackets, etc), a couple of nice early advertising items for the garage wall, a couple of nice accessory brass age oil sight gauges, early hubs, and a hand full of spark plugs.  I nearly sprung the bucks for an original Ford key board and a coil tester but chose to save the $ for another pending purchase at home.

For those who missed out because of the weather forecast, I highly recommend you take the word "forecast" from your vocabulary and replace it with the word "guess."  For this swap meet it's certainly worth the risk of getting a little wet.  See you next year.  Oh-and don't forget to bring me some old spark plugs!

Terry

2F23DDF6-A26C-4F85-99FA-6CC448D56C9C.jpeg

Luray 2022 10.jpeg

Luray 2022 11.jpeg

Luray 2022 7.jpeg

Luray 2022 8.jpeg

Luray 2022 9.jpeg

T for sale.jpg

Barn fresh 15.jpg

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine (in the red shirt) bought that very early '15 Ford. Notice it still carries '14 fenders. The car is returning to Michigan (probably is here already) and the new owner plans to keep it in original condition. 

• Like 1

Yes, had the chance to speak with him.  He was pretty excited about it. 

Terry

52 minutes ago, ericmac said:

A friend of mine (in the red shirt) bought that very early '15 Ford. Notice it still carries '14 fenders. The car is returning to Michigan (probably is here already) and the new owner plans to keep it in original condition. 

Are those the crossover front fenders? Bill and moldings like a 1915, but four rivet top bracket like a 1914? Some people swear Ford never produced that fender ever for any car! In spite of the fact that hundreds of them were taken off of late 1914s and early 1915s fifty years ago in the belief that they were wrong? In spite of the fact that factory photos have been seen showing them, along with hundreds of era photos out in the world where the rivets can be counted (MOST photos are from an angle that the rivets cannot be clearly seen)?

I love those fenders! I have a pair I want to fix up enough to use on my early 1915 runabout. Those odd fenders drive a lot of model T people nuts!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Are those the crossover front fenders? Bill and moldings like a 1915, but four rivet top bracket like a 1914? Some people swear Ford never produced that fender ever for any car! In spite of the fact that hundreds of them were taken off of late 1914s and early 1915s fifty years ago in the belief that they were wrong? In spite of the fact that factory photos have been seen showing them, along with hundreds of era photos out in the world where the rivets can be counted (MOST photos are from an angle that the rivets cannot be clearly seen)?

I love those fenders! I have a pair I want to fix up enough to use on my early 1915 runabout. Those odd fenders drive a lot of model T people nuts!

And check the rear fenders too - they are 1914 style, so either the car had replaced fenders or perhaps it's a very early 15 using some left-over 1914 pieces?  Not to send the swap meet thread off another direction, but there is also another 15 in this area currently undergoing restoration and it has headlamp forks on it that would suit either a fork-mounted electric headlamp or of course a 1914 style gas headlamp.  We could go on....

Terry

Terry, this subject could go on and on for weeks and months! The fact is, that Ford did produce some anomalies for various reasons. But most odd Fords are not factory produced anomalies. That said, years ago I knew of two early 1915s with known histories of being untouched at least almost until they were new. One a touring car, and one a runabout, that had 1914 style rear fenders. I don't know if I could ever find it or not? (A partial computer meltdown a few years ago erased a lot of photos and over two thousand bookmarks I had!) However years ago, I did see an era photograph that clearly showed an early 1915 car with 1914 rear fenders. Of course, they could have been replaced even in its first year, but not all that likely.

As for fork mounted headlamps? Canadian built model Ts used fork mounted electric headlamps from their factory throughout 1915 and most of 1916, and even some 1917s. Most era photographs showing fork mounted electric headlamps on 1915s and 1916s have been identified as Canadian built model Ts due to other Canadian differences.

Although no substantiated evidence has been found (yet?) showing US built production 1915s with fork mounted electric headlamps, there ARE some dirty little secrets. Several prototypes built in 1914 had fork mounted electric headlamps. And a couple early prototypes actually had gas headlamps. Nearly all those prototypes had other differences from production models. These included different windshields, different headlamps and sidelamps, different fenders, and one folding top couplet was photographed a few times with doors that opened opposite of the production models!

Another oddity seldom discussed, is that not everyone was ready to accept those new-fangled electric headlamps! It seems odd to us today, but a lot of people were afraid of electricity! However acetylene gas lamps had been around for most people's lifetime! People understood that, and they trusted the gas lamps. So, in spite of the fact that the Ford factory did not approve (original letters exist that say so!)? Many dealers, when faced with a customer balking at buying the new Ford because of the electric headlamps, would swap them out and replace them with leftover gas headlamps (fork mounted of course!). For a few extra dollars of course.

It was a real win/win for the dealer! He made a good sale of a new car. Got a couple extra bucks for the old gas lamps he probably already had more of than he could otherwise sell? Traded in the brand new electric headlamps, which he could turn around and sell to a previous customer to update their old T model (not everyone was afraid of electricity)! Which trade in in turn replaced the old gas headlamps he had sold (provided the condition was okay?) which he could in turn sell to another balky customer and around we go again.

Lots and lots of era photographs exist showing 1915 even into 1918 new model Ts with fork mounted gas lamps on them. Many of the cars so sparkling new they shine! Customers demanding them is the preferred explanation for them.

Model T history is fun! This drift could go long for days.

How about more photos of people's finds at the swap meet?

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Are those the crossover front fenders? Bill and moldings like a 1915, but four rivet top bracket like a 1914? Some people swear Ford never produced that fender ever for any car!

Not the best photos, but this is Miss. Vickery (previously owned by Bill Eads of Wilmington NC) sporting those fenders. And with her documentation fully intact there’s no way that those fenders were not original to the car…

I remember sitting through a discussion between Bill, Don Lang, and Bruce McCauley about those four rivets at Hershey shortly before Bill sold the car to my father. The one major point of argument is that documentation from Ford archives does not exist for the production deviation using up the stock of brackets… don’t dwell on it too long or you can go bald from pulling out your hair!

C8C174BA-B356-4272-813E-39C546E08609.jpeg

B71E870B-1A43-45D0-9373-10D0F8721E00.jpeg

Sorry for more thread drift… I had hoped to get up there and set up a booth last minute but between the weather and a dog recovering from surgery I was not able to. It’s definitely one I regret not making but there’s always next year.

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

Yes, if sold at the auction, was hauled to the swap meet and was sold there to the new happy owner. 

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Yes, if sold at the auction, was hauled to the swap meet and was sold there to the new happy owner. 

Terry

I believe it was mentioned that it had no title and a later engine, so there were some buyer beware alarms, as there often are on early T's.  Think it was also mentioned it sold for $5k at the auction....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Not the best photos, but this is Miss. Vickery (previously owned by Bill Eads of Wilmington NC) sporting those fenders. And with her documentation fully intact there’s no way that those fenders were not original to the car…

I remember sitting through a discussion between Bill, Don Lang, and Bruce McCauley about those four rivets at Hershey shortly before Bill sold the car to my father. The one major point of argument is that documentation from Ford archives does not exist for the production deviation using up the stock of brackets… don’t dwell on it too long or you can go bald from pulling out your hair!

C8C174BA-B356-4272-813E-39C546E08609.jpeg

B71E870B-1A43-45D0-9373-10D0F8721E00.jpeg

Sorry for more thread drift… I had hoped to get up there and set up a booth last minute but between the weather and a dog recovering from surgery I was not able to. It’s definitely one I regret not making but there’s always next year.

Missed you Mark, next time for sure.  We'll plan an evening at the hotel with some friends I'm sure you'll know.  Nice to see the photos of Bill's car.  I have ridden in Miss Vickery several times and really enjoyed the time spent with Bill and the T. 

Terry