New technology - GPS vs Printed Maps

Buick35

12 hours ago, Buick35 said:

Isn't new technology great? NOT! My wife and I just drove to Tampa Florida from the east coast for her doctor consultation. We drove the horrible I-4 but wasn't as bad as I thought.Anyway I thought we'd come back a less congested more scenic route but I left my Rand McNally road atlas at home.Would you believe nobody in Tampa sold road atlases or even new what I was talking about? I bought my last one at a Wal-Mart in 2014. It didn't help that most of them didn't understand english. I guess road maps have gone the way of teaching cursive writing and track phones which I'm being forced to give up but that's another story. Sorry for venting my frustration.

Yesterday morning I was driving to Tampa Airport from Ocala when the GPS in my GMC notified that there was traffic on the route and diverted me to an alternate route to avoid that traffic. I purchased the upgrade from GM this past fall and the enhancements are phenomenal. Maps were great and served their purpose but again so did the Yellow Pages.  

• Like 1

I think the best of both worlds is ideal:

(1)  Large paper maps of the state, and group of states,

so you can plot out the route by yourself, and understand

where places are located geographically.  And if you 

change course, you have an idea where you're going.

No electronic machine will dictate your route.  It's fun to

plot a vacation route and anticipate the things you'll see.

(2)  A Global Positioning System for the small roads,

which aren't shown on most maps.  Then, if you change

course or get lost or detoured, you can tell where you are

immediately.

Whether you're using a map or electronics, it's good to

have a passenger to mind the directions.

• Like 5

I used my trusty (but out of date) garmin for years. Even made a rig to mount on my motorcycle. Never left home without it. Then my wife told me about waze on the phone. I have no idea where my garmin even is at this point. I love the modern tech gps stuff but grew up looking at maps. I think they both have their merits. I prefer state and even county maps over the large atlas though as I can read the larger print better, LOL. I had quite a collection at one time but no idea where they are?  I travel locally about 4 counties in 2 states and had the county maps of each in the truck. 

• Like 1

Not a new problem. Just yesterday I was reading that in the 1500's there was no sign for the men's room in The Rose Theater on the Thames and they are still repeating a joke about that.

You can open the driver;s door half way and make a little Vee.

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:35 AM, Buick35 said:

Isn't new technology great? NOT! My wife and I just drove to Tampa Florida from the east coast for her doctor consultation. We drove the horrible I-4 but wasn't as bad as I thought.Anyway I thought we'd come back a less congested more scenic route but I left my Rand McNally road atlas at home.Would you believe nobody in Tampa sold road atlases or even new what I was talking about? I bought my last one at a Wal-Mart in 2014. It didn't help that most of them didn't understand english. I guess road maps have gone the way of teaching cursive writing and track phones which I'm being forced to give up but that's another story. Sorry for venting my frustration.

use the WAZE app on a phone. Forget outdated maps and GPS. I would only use a map for a cross country trip and that’s it! 

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)

My wife can read a map just fine but absolutely sucks at giving directions, either she’ll tell you to turn after you’ve gone past it, tell you to turn the wrong direction or just straight up miss a turn off

So yeah Google maps for us…

A few years ago one of our club members wrote a club tour with GPS.    We now call him "Wrong Way Bob" because we were always lost.

Two weeks ago we were in Atlanta and GPS couldn't find where we were or where we were going,   I called the store we were looking for

and the employee didn't know where their store was either.   Wasted 2 hours in Atlanta!

• Like 1

I've had a 2007-version Garmin for 15 years and use it in the vintage cars with a windshield suction cup, hooked up to a 12V gel cell UPS/alarm backup/gate opener battery stowed in a plastic coffee can behind the floor shift.  It also has a speedometer function on the data screen.  The max speed attained shows 134 mph--apparently when there was a skip on the satellite while traveling in my DD 1995 Mazda 4-cyl pickup.  I have no vehicle capable of even 100 mph, and chuckle whenever I see that max speed attained displayed--and which I refuse to reset.  Strange what amuses one when one is this old....

20 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

My wife can read a map just fine but absolutely sucks at giving directions, either she’ll tell you to turn after you’ve gone past it, tell you to turn the wrong direction or just straight up miss a turn off

So yeah Google maps for us…

Years ago on a Rallye,  one navigator told the driver-

"Turn Right Here - Left !"

Imagine the fun and frustration -

• Haha 2

I often use my very old Garmin for everyday travel to unknown-to-me locations, as well as cross-country.

I also use it in vintage cars and when on tour, (but not for navigation to destination).

The correct speedometer is a help, 

and also gives the street names which may be either missing or behind a tree branch.

A couple of our earlier 6-Volt cars have an inverter to supply a 12-Volt negative ground power port,

allowing the use of GPS, Dash-Cam, Cell phone/iPad charger, Radar Detector, etc. - all for safety considerations.

Edited by Marty Roth
additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1