Alsancle- AKA- AJ & Little Al has a new ride.

edinmass

This is a great description of the paint colors courtesy of our very own Walt. (Thanks Walt!). 

The car is described as a convertible coupe for 4 in all the period literature, even though we would all call it a convertible Victoria today.

The original  colors are described as wheat with dark trim in brown. The Brown is so dark but it almost seems black.

CF6F92D8-1F6B-4F03-9A2E-4A90E0C648C0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This is a great description of the paint colors courtesy of our very own Walt. (Thanks Walt!). 

The car is described as a convertible coupe for 4 in all the period literature, even though we would all call it a convertible Victoria today.

The original  colors are described as wheat with dark trim in brown. The Brown is so dark but it almost seems black.

CF6F92D8-1F6B-4F03-9A2E-4A90E0C648C0.jpeg

That’s amazing he had that and you have the car! Fantastically detailed on the correct trim and colors as displayed. Thanks for sharing 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)

Walt, fantastic post....three thumbs up!👍👍👍

Sounds like a nice car..............and having worked on it and more importantly driven it, I can confirm it is!

• Like 2

91ABCFA3-7291-4D57-A7EB-F1B6C761F3C5.jpeg

Another good shot of the car, and the colors look fine. I think poor photos give the wrong impression some times. The Phil Hill Purple Packard is a great example, It always looked odd to me until I stood next to it, maybe some colors just photograph poorly naturally. 

• Like 3

We had a visitor here today from the forum.......with a very nice car that will be on display tomorrow at the British Car Show............500+ cars are registered for the show in Jupiter Florida. He was hoping to meet AJ here but just missed him.........lucky for him!

The member.....George Cole..........

IMG_5842.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

We had a visitor here today from the forum.......with a very nice car that will be on display tomorrow at the British Car Show............500+ cars are registered for the show in Jupiter Florida. He was hoping to meet AJ here but just missed him.........lucky for him!

The member.....George Cole..........

IMG_5842.jpeg

Another car that was on my list that I probably will never will get.  I looked for a long time for LHD 3.5.

Such a pretty car. Even Ed could stand in front of it.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

That’s amazing he had that and you have the car! Fantastically detailed on the correct trim and colors as displayed. Thanks for sharing 

When you are talking about a real coachbuilt auto show car there are usually pictures and articles related to the car.   That is if it was actually on the floor of a salon.    Probably 1 in 20 cars that are purported to be "auto show" cars were actually on a show floor.

The special stuff tended to get a lot of attention and that included magazine articles, newspaper articles and mentions as well as lots of photographs.  

If you see something really cool from the 20s or 30s but there is no history prior to WWII you can draw your own conclusions. 

There is all kinds of period history on this particular car.

1136402228_1929Stearns-KnightJ-8-90ConvertibleVictoria-1-Copy.jpg.b4a71db48c0c59be6d5cb13b22d94a0f.jpg

1929HotelCommodoreStearnsKnight.jpg.dc1c3958d9bdc747e0c33290df966f1a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@alsancle

Not to sound dumb, I didn’t realize it was a show car. I thought it was a custom coach built car that was cool. I had no idea until I read the article from Walt. I’ve learned a lot following this forum. My car knowledge is postwar and particularly in the super stock era to the end of the muscle car era. Thanks to people like yourself sharing things I’ve been able to broaden my knowledge. Thanks 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, George Cole said:

Looks can be deceiving, and pictures don't necessarily tell a thousands words.  Where's all the rain in the picture?  It was pouring like a cow p*zzin' on a flat rock when I pulled into Ed's courtyard yesterday morning.

George, it’s funny you should say that. I have not seen rain in two weeks, until I had to carry all my luggage a hundred yards to my car yesterday morning. Probably 2 miles from you at the same time you pulled in.

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

1929HotelCommodoreStearnsKnight.jpg.dc1c3958d9bdc747e0c33290df966f1a.jpg

Are there any photos of the car on the right with the wheel disks? Looks like a Bentley with a top chop, I like it. 

Bob

Hey Bob,

The car directly in front of the Stearns is a Minerva.  I haven’t gone through the Minerva thread, but there’s a decent chance the car is a pictured there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

George, it’s funny you should say that. I have not seen rain in two weeks, until I had to carry all my luggage a hundred yards to my car yesterday morning. Probably 2 miles from you at the same time you pulled in.

Hey AJ.  Sorry our paths didn't cross.  I left Cocoa Beach headed south at 7:30 yesterday morning.  Didn't hit rain until past Jupiter.  I arrived at the museum at exactly 10:30.  The rain water I drove though at the end of the street by the railroad tracks was easily over a foot deep.  By the time I left around 2:00 p.m., rain had stopped and the streets were dry and bare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@George Cole you should open a separate thread on your car, very cool and would be interested in learning more about it.

Hey Steve, I probably will shortly.  For now it's been an exercise in frustration working some of the bugs out and getting it dependably operable...which it still isn't.  I've been getting a lot of help from fellow Mark IV owners (there aren't many,) on the Jag-Lovers Forum.  We're at the Wheels Over the Pond show in Jupiter today.  Regards, George

• Like 3

When Ed started this thread I assumed it would be a comical satire of AJ's RV trip and interesting to me as I recently sold my last RV.  Now you have me interested in Sterns Knight and early Jags.

12 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’ve learned a lot following this forum.

Like Bobinvirginia  my knowledge base continues to expand.  Stay in good health as most of us have a lot to learn.  Thanks to all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a follow up to Salon Cars, Show Cars…..yes there is a HUGE difference although we don’t often point it out enough…………Catalog Customs, One Off’s, and the dreaded owner influenced design’s………

Salon Cars…..cars displayed at the invitation only displays. Think Millionaires only club.

Show Cars……cars displayed at the events open to the general public for a small fee.

Regional Show Cars…..yup, special cars were done for small venues….Kansas City, Denver, Hartford,ect.

Special Order Dealer Cars- Uppercu Cadillac, Earl C Anthony, Inskip, ect………

Dealer Fleet Cars - specials done for places like the Broadmore Hotel and the Pierce Arrows with two transmissions and special gears in the transmission and rear end, heavier brakes, longer chassis,ect.

I will go into more detail after todays show and my tablet has power…….

By some strange coincidence, I am lucky enough to work on a bunch of the above special cars……….quite a privilege to be honest. Sitting in a seat with the same upholstery as movie stars, captains of industry, society gentleman which unlimited wealth and no employment……….you can actually relive history taking a car on the same roads and driving through the same neighborhoods as they were when new………

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous car and wonderful to see it out and about and running fantastic and not spoiled by an over the top "glitz" job being passed off as a "restoration" - its just perfect.  It's obvious that Ed has been just the right person to sort this wonderful car out. though I do agree someone needs to start a "Go Fund Me" campaign to get him some new shirts....

Amazon.com: Funny Tractor Mechanic T-Shirt - I'm the Okayest! : Clothing,  Shoes & Jewelry

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 4/15/2022 at 8:14 AM, yachtflame said:

Ed would be the irritating one on the right!

I would have expected a photo of Dumb & Dumber........

21 hours ago, SC38dls said:

just noticed the door handle looks like a stir up from an English saddle. I like it. 
dave s 

These are "coach handles" yes they look like stirrups! They are a hold over from the 19th century and earlier horse drawn carriage trade from which the custom body automobiles carried on a tradition for individuals to have their carriage/car body reflect their desire and persona.

As Ed mentioned there was a very big difference between an auto show and a salon. It is a major story to be told and would make clear to those of you here who read this exactly what was going on when and where and who was organizing all of this a century ago.  The Salons and motor shows in Europe were defined differently then the ones here in the USA.

Stirrup handles : Mostly used on town cars ( open front limousines) up through 1930 on the rear doors; but Packard used them on all doors on its 7 passenger touring cars up into the 1930s. I have them on my 1930 Packard 7th series touring. I absolutely Love the look - and even they had a variety of styles, sizes etc.  The coach built cars, luxury cars; have so many "side stories" : who had what styling trait, who used what style upholstery, hardware, paint combinations - a lot of it reported when it happened BUT in trade publications to the coach builders that were not available to the general public in a car magazine that you bought on the news stand. That means the production/publication of those periodicals, catalogs, etc were very very small and survival rate to this day is scarce . It is why when I can scan and copy something from my archives/collection if I have the time and get it to an owner or "person of interest" everyone can benefit . I am not a hoarder, but one even has to know where to look and also what was available when these cars were new. My buddy the late John Conde once mentioned to me in conversation in the flea market at Hershey something to the affect that ' major collections have some great material, information , photos etc but you have to know where to look and that the stuff even exists'.  Authors then have to put it all together to present but make it a "good read" but also an accurate report of exactly what happened.  .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

Fabulous car and wonderful to see it out and about and running fantastic and not spoiled by an over the top "glitz" job being passed off as a "restoration" - its just perfect.  It's obvious that Ed has been just the right person to sort this wonderful car out. though I do agree someone needs to start a "Go Fund Me" campaign to get him some new shirts....

Amazon.com: Funny Tractor Mechanic T-Shirt - I'm the Okayest! : Clothing,  Shoes & Jewelry

I need some of those shirts to give out to some people I know……….👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

My buddy the late John Conde once mentioned to me in conversation in the flea market at Hershey something to the affect that ' major collections have some great material, information , photos etc but you have to know where to look and that the stuff even exists'.

Totally agree! Just last week we found a copy of a thesis from 1912 tucked away in a notebook in a private collection. The author was a witness to the events etc. the thesis was centered around and which I have been researching. Out of curiosity, and since the author was alumni, we contacted the special collections at the university library and low and behold they found a box containing all the period photos (the author was a gifted armature photographer)to go along with the thesis and more - an amazing treasure trove.

• Like 1

Terry, I am so happy to read what you mentioned!  The age of computers is great but now people are used to pressing a button to gain instant knowledge. BUT someone has to take the time to find the information, scan it, put it on line and then some  can interpret what actually happened. First Person experience that is then recorded as soon as possible is absolute gold for the historian and authors. This goes far beyond the interest in automotive history but for local history as well which is why it is so important to talk to and listen to  those that were there then.  All the seemingly minor nuances that really put the story/history in perspective.  What impressions at the time did it leave that the memory of all that is still with the person 50 or more years later?  Lots of details that were not written in reports at the time for general public consumption.

Terry says it wisely ' Treasure trove" is indeed what it is be it information or photographs. Looking at period photographs - look beyond the main subject matter - what do you see going on behind there? 

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Yeah, but you and I don’t photograph well together!

I DISAGREE............

rs_1024x759-191204162414-1024-dumb.cm.12419.jpg

• Haha 5

On 4/9/2022 at 3:01 AM, jeff_a said:

It's not a motor home, are-vee, or conquest, it's a Winnebago, to honor the original make popularizing these palaces on wheels, eh? Winnies have a few competitors now, but they're of no consequence.

jeff_a, the reason I said "conquest" is because it is very plainly written on the side, regardless of the "brand".  The word was what made me make my trying to be funny comment.