Audrain pre 1908 tour in Newport RI

alsancle

51 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

Is there a list of the participants by make and year of manufacture for those of us who are somewhat thin on Brass Era knowledge?

Steve

Sorry Steve. Not that I know of. I’ll try to identify some of them, I’m sort of in the same boat as you. If you see one you’re wondering about asking I’ll go over and look at the name  plate

54 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Sorry Steve. Not that I know of. I’ll try to identify some of them, I’m sort of in the same boat as you. If you see one you’re wondering about asking I’ll go over and look at the name  plate

AJ:

Whatever identifications you can add will be fine, thanks.  Other than the curved-dash Olds and a few of the mass-market makes which are familiar, the large, expensive, low-production makes are those I need to learn to recognize.  If the car should have an identified coachbuilder plate, that makes it even more interesting.

Steve

BTW: Some impressive 'rockpiles' there...

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

Great looking array of pre 1908 machines, thanks for posting such fine photos. I was especially happy to see the circa 1907 Fiat (mis-identified as Stevens Duryea in one post), a similar one ran in the 1907 French Grand Prix, I built this Pocher kit of one some 30+ years ago. Doubt there are more than 1/2 dozen of these still around. 

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

An easy way to "remember" is to photograph the name plate (or the windshield info sheet at car shows) as you are doing the car. It only takes a minute and costs nothing with digital cameras. That way you can look back at it years later and see what it is.

Thanks for posting these. Pictures are always appreciated.

Don

One of the red cars has THREE spares on the back!  Now THERE'S confidence!  I wonder if it was delivered from the manufacturer that way?  Thanks for posting, AJ!

• Like 1

A whole lot of incredible and wonderful cars there! Thank you for posting these photos.

I am curious, is that "longnose" Stanley the one I saw at the Bakersfield swap meet in California about ten years ago?

Others, a lot of interesting "speed" cars. Several high end early cars including Pierce and Locomobile. Looks like for an EARLY car tour, they were planning on speed! 

I don't offhand recall seeing photos of that Yale before. I know there are only a handful of them in existence, and I knew the owner of one of them (smaller red runabout) some years ago. He drove it often on one and two cylinder tours.

29 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

A whole lot of incredible and wonderful cars there! Thank you for posting these photos.

I am curious, is that "longnose" Stanley the one I saw at the Bakersfield swap meet in California about ten years ago?

Others, a lot of interesting "speed" cars. Several high end early cars including Pierce and Locomobile. Looks like for an EARLY car tour, they were planning on speed! 

I don't offhand recall seeing photos of that Yale before. I know there are only a handful of them in existence, and I knew the owner of one of them (smaller red runabout) some years ago. He drove it often on one and two cylinder tours.

I think this car has always been in New England. There are about a dozen replica Vanderbilt  cars out there.

I think this car has always been in New England. There are about a dozen replica Vanderbilt  cars out there.

I know that several such cars exist, but did not know how many. It was an impressive car to watch being driven around, but I did not know who had it there. Every time I see pictures of one? I wonder if it might be the same one?

Again, thank you so much for posting pictures of this event! I wish I could be there.

• Like 1

Thank you SR for the photos of the other ones! 

Boy, you really have to watch out for me. All I have to do is see a photo of an interesting car similar to one I saw ten years ago, and I will start dragging people down a rabbit hole with me!

For that reason, I won't ask any more questions (here) about the cars not at the Audrain meet.

Racer is a blast. But there are number of things about it that make it not the greatest for touring. For example no windshield, or any kind of storage. And if you get a flat you’re getting towed.

A bit like a few of the model T speedsters and racing cars I have had! But I love driving cars like that! Open wheel, wind in your face! Someday I will have to tell of the time my wife and I got to follow a herd of cattle, we were in an open wheel speed car! (The only time I was able to tell my wife to "Shut your mouth!")

As for flat tires? You are supposed to be prepared to fix them on the side of the road.

• Like 1

RHD_VCR.jpg

This is the way I would want a racer configured.   And I would hook the lights up with LED bulbs so you have brake lights and running lights.

There are things you HAVE to carry,   fire extinguisher, propane torch, water bottles, etc. and having them on the floor of the car is mess and a pain.

Also, I don't know if this is the one with the sidemount spare or another similar car, but I would do that too.

• Like 1

This one, and the pale green one, both built in England, are the only ones with right-hand drive.  For some unknown reason, at a time when manufactured cars in the US, including Stanleys, were made with RHD, and all of the other racers in the 1906 Vanderbilt had RHD, the Stanleys built their racers with LHD.

Sorry for the thread hijack - these Vanderbilt cars are very cool!!

Oilzum2b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1