Best Quality Reproduction Wiring Harnesses?

9F94M567042

Hey Everyone,

Trying to source a trusted, quality vendor for making reproduction wiring harnesses. I have found a couple overseas that look like they would do a quality job, but being overseas, they don't do American built automobiles.

Anybody here have any recommendations for someone who will perform this task and do quality work? Almost seeking NOS quality.

Thanks,

Feel free to move this topic if needed.

On the 1938 Century, I used Rhode Island Wiring. Their product was excellent. Everything was clearly labeled. Their instructions were very easy to follow with clear custom printed descriptions and schematic diagrams. Installation was easy with their instructions and diagrams. 

For my 1937 Roadmaster 80C, Rhode Island Wiring did not have a pattern for the 80C, which has a couple of slight differences from a typical 80 series sedan. I did not want to remove the existing harness and send it to them as a pattern. Brian DePouli suggested that I try Harnesses Unlimited. (They also advertise in the Buick Bugle.) Harnesses Unlimited indicated that they had the pattern for the 80C, so I ordered that harness from them. The quality of the wiring harness was very similar to Rhode Island Wiring. I think that they are also a little bit less expensive than Rhode Island Wiring. The only negative thing that I would say is that their instructions, while detailed and correct, look a bit less professional than Rhode Island Wiring. They were basically photocopies with a couple of minor changes to indicate the specific 80C wiring. Their instructions and labels give the impression of being written by an older gentleman with somewhat rough penmanship while Rhode Island Wiring has clear computer printed instructions and labels. Their harness also was designed to utilitze separate bulbs for the rear turn signals, which I had not planned for, but which was easy to adapt to. 

Either of those two companies produce a quality wiring harness that will work and look correct. The slick appearance of the Rhode Island Wiring instructions might inspire a bit more confidence when you first open the box, but based on my experience, either one will be fine.  

• Like 5

I think you have two choices.

RI wiring is has done a bunch of harnesses for me.   I would recommend them.  Have not used the other guys.

Although I would recommend checking any crimped connectors as I did have one faulty on on my last harness regardless of who makes it for you.

My car, a 1931 model 8-66S rumble coupe, was a really hard example for wire harness replacement because the original wire harness was gone before I ever saw the car.   I bought a reproduction harness from Harnesses Unlimited.   The very first step according to Harnesses Unlimited installation instructions, and rightly so, is to photograph/document routing and carefully remove the original harness.  Some items like headlamp/tail lamp connecters and those metal Tees used to split off branches of the wire harness need to be saved from the original harness and transferred to the new harness.   My car was also missing the current limit relay, but I found one and restored it, it's in the car and working fine today.   

Then I discovered Chuck Hoffman had the 1931 Buick wiring drawings.  Getting these 5 or 6 drawings eventually saved the day, but also added a layer of confusion.  All wiring on the Buick drawings was marked with color coding and allowed wires to be traced from the battery and generator to the current limit relay, instruments, lights and horn.  The Harnesses Unlimited reproduction harness DID NOT follow the Buick color coding and instead uses a numbers system to identify connections from the battery and generator to the rest of the items I just listed.   I spent hours verifying numbered wires of color that differed from the Buick drawings got routed to their correct end points.  Another tactical error I made was installing the firewall insulator in the car before I understood the harness coming from the engine compartment on the right side of the car to the current limit relay and the harness that left the current limit relay to go to the headlight switch at the bottom of the steering column on the left side of the car are supposed to be routed in stamped channels on the metal firewall behind the insulator.  Getting that all straightened out was fun...

In the long run, patience paid off.  The harness is in the car, routed and connected correctly per the Buick drawings and works flawlessly and reliably.

This is one of five original Buick wiring drawings and it shows engine accessory wiring on the right side of the engine routed to the current limit relay inside the car and then to the headlight switch on the left side of the car.  It also shows a metal Tee where the headlamp harness splits to go to the right headlamp including routing over the front crossmember of the frame under the radiator.  All wire colors are identified on the drawings.

Assembly-Wiring Information-Section 1-300dpi-v1-01-23-31.jpg

This is the current limit relay that was missing from my car.  All loads except starter and ignition go thru the relay so it is key.   Think of it as an alternative to a fuse panel. 

BW 006.jpg

Sorry for the sideways picture but this shows the Harnesses Unlimited wiring and how all harnesses come together at the current limit relay. 

BW 013.jpg

The Harnesses Unlimited connections have to be connected by number from the instruction sheet.  The harnesses are not faithful to Buick color coding.

BW 0014.jpg

I try to do things in correct assembly order and got fooled on the firewall insulator because I didn't remove the original wiring from the car.  Behind the insulator are channels in the firewall sheet metal with clips to route the harnesses to and from the current limit relay.  This channel routes wiring from the relay to the headlamp switch at the bottom of the steering column.  

BW 018.jpg

Harnesses headed for left and right sides of the engine compartment from the current limit relay disappear thru holes in the firewall insulator and are then routed down the firewall in the channels behind the insulator

BW 023.jpg

The 2-wire harness on the left goes to the ignition switch and the two harnesses on the right go to the instrument panel 

BW 027.jpg

In the lower left corner of this picture you can see the harness that connects battery feed, generator cutout and ignition to the current limit relay, all on the right side of the engine.

BW 036.jpg

This harness on the left side of the engine came from the current limit relay and connects to the headlight switch and headlamp wiring.

BW 028.jpg

The headlight switch is a busy little feller....

BW 030.jpg

As good luck would have it I had the radiator out of the car for repair when I started wiring the car.  This let me easily route the right headlight wiring across the crossmember under the radiator.

BW 043.jpg

Another branch of the wire harness comes thru the firewall to service the horn.   

BW 037.jpg

This picture also came thru sideways but show connections to the back of the instrument cluster.

BW 044.jpg

Lights- camera- action- the speedometer only instrument light comes to life.

BW 078.jpg

The little light switch on the right side of the panel controls panel lights only, headlight and parking light switch is on the steering wheel.

BW 079.jpg

Dome light wiring comes from the brake light switch under the floorboards on the left side of the car over to the passenger side B pillar to a slide switch on the pillar then to the light fixture.

BW 040.jpg

Of course I had to add Trippe driving lights and turn signals...

BW 062.jpg

Ahh- but it all works...

BW 070.jpg

BW 077.jpg

BW 076.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
removed extra picture (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks for the responses folks. I don't believe either of those companies mentioned, YNZ or Rohde Island can help since this is for my 1969 Mercury Cougar.

YNZ does do some this for the Mustang, sister to the Cougar, but a lot of Mustang wiring is not quite the same. And, I don't feel comfortable sending in the old harnesses with out actually speaking to someone in person. That's just the way I am. To much old school I guess. And I don't trust people much either. Will keep searching.

Don't understand why companies don't do Ford products. Lot's of GM/Chevrolet folks out there.

4 hours ago, 9F94M567042 said:

Thanks for the responses folks. I don't believe either of those companies mentioned, YNZ or Rohde Island can help since this is for my 1969 Mercury Cougar.

YNZ does do some this for the Mustang, sister to the Cougar, but a lot of Mustang wiring is not quite the same. And, I don't feel comfortable sending in the old harnesses with out actually speaking to someone in person. That's just the way I am. To much old school I guess. And I don't trust people much either. Will keep searching.

Don't understand why companies don't do Ford products. Lot's of GM/Chevrolet folks out there.

Doesn't sound like you're actually "old school" if you haven't picked up a phone and called either of the aforementioned suggestions (to speak with "someone in person").

While I don't have experience with R.I.W. (they seem to have a stellar reputation also), I've been buying/installing/selling YnZ's harnesses (and even advised/helped them on correctness issues) for over 30 years and got someone every time I've called there during business hours.

Then again, I do consider myself somewhat "old school" restorer and in past 40+ years have designed, drawn diagrams and made many harnesses from scratch (or repaired some) if/when none have been available, including quite complex 50 y.o. vintage GT Ferraris or +/- 100 y.o. wooden boats, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

I might check with West Coast Classic Cougar if you haven't already. I have bought small parts for a Marauder from them that happened to be the same as Cougar parts. They seem to be sticklers for quality, and if they don't have what you need you might get some good leads on where to go.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/

Quick Google search and Bloo is correct :

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/xr7wire.html

Appricate the responses. Personally don't care for the customer service at WCCC. That's just my opinion.

TTR- By 'someone in person', I mean face-to-face. And a hand shake. And I have been in touch with YnZ Harnesses by the way.

I was an electro-mechanical designer/drafter for over 30 years so I think I am fully capable of creating any type of drawing needed to reproduce a new harness if needed.

Old School- drafting board, mechanical pencil, straight edge or T-square, triangles, hand lettering thousands of drawings, GD&T Need I say more??

Not attacking you personally, just commenting.😁

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:12 AM, 9F94M567042 said:

Hey Everyone,

Trying to source a trusted, quality vendor for making reproduction wiring harnesses. I have found a couple overseas that look like they would do a quality job, but being overseas, they don't do American built automobiles.

Anybody here have any recommendations for someone who will perform this task and do quality work? Almost seeking NOS quality.

Thanks,

Feel free to move this topic if needed.

I recommend YnZ's very highly.  I had a problem with a newly installed harness that I purchased from the 6 earlier and they took it back, found the problem, made a NEW harness and sent it back. They refused to charge me anything for the new unit!, saying it was their fault, so, no charge!  And the new harness fit ,looks and works perfectly.

I have used both YNZ and RI wiring. I always prefer the RI harnesses over YNZ as I found for one, RIW will use the same color wire as what was originally used where as YNZ will use black with number tags, and RIW will use the correct, OEM style connectors (twist type bayonet on early GM) where YNZ uses modern type push in connectors. On my own 32 olds, RIW didn’t have a pattern for it and my harness was non existent so I went with YNZ. All wires came black, which I could see in the remnants of my original harness wasn’t the case, and I ended up changing 7 modern connectors out with the correct, OEM style ones that I purchased from RIW. They would have been on there if the harness came from RIW so by experience, I feel RIW makes a more correct, OEM harness .

i have a 1928 Chrysler series 72 convertible coupe 

it was restored in the uk  

it had a complete new wiring harness 

supplied by vintage wiring harness north vic

and is of a very good quality

dont know if they are still in business as this was 10 years ago

good luck

HQ9aOkyLQVzjpdCxAuIQ69uJupbWyuO2Zsv1mkI1.jpg