Chickasha Swap Meet - How is it going?

RansomEli

Anyone attending the Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet, can you give us a report?

Attendance?

Number of vendors?

Any neat cars for sale?

Couldn't make it this year, so I just know there were some REOs or Franklins for sale cheap. 

Thanks

Nothing on eBay is selling, swap meets are minimal traffic and money during these times, so we decided to have a yard sale that brought in $100 for two days of work before the heat arrives. Starting to think all the swaps and auctions are equal to owning a boat during these times.

Soon we'll see prices drop dramatically on everything across the board (resale not retail) and those with deep pockets will stock up (again). 

I think the main difference is, this time it's not coming back. I believe we are seeing the beginnings of one of the worst (IF not the worst) economic collapses we've ever seen (worldwide). I believe this one will be equivalent to a leaky faucet unlike the great depression of the late 20s this one will be a planned slow death. But don't bring politicians into the subject (God forbid), even though that is exactly what is causing all of it.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 9

The MTFCA forum had a report yesterday of a fairly nice mid 1910 model T for sale. Price seemed reasonable at just over $20,000. It looked to be an old restoration of a good survivor, a lot of correct parts on it. I don't know if it ran or not, but it looked to be pretty useable as is. It does have an interesting very old "repair" of the weak early rear end housing.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27815

• Like 1

I have been going for about 20 years.  I thought last year was pretty bad so didn't go this year.  In my opinion it was declining even before Covid.  Leaving for the Founders tour in the morning and filled up, $75 for 14.5 gal.  Is this going to  significantly reduce tour/show attendance this year?

• Like 3

Nothing is selling on evilbay because it's mostly junk or has such stupid prices people just look and laugh (or puke). Trend seems to be online auctions where good stuff brings very strong prices. Quality will always be strong. Junk will never be anything more. 

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Swap meets that are well run are enjoying a bounce while poor management at eBay has chased away both buyer and seller. Of course, Covid has had a tremendous effect- witness the reduced spectator count at Hershey. Demographics will certainly dictate what buyers look for and sellers provide. Take the opportunity to buy and enjoy what you like, and don’t worry so much about what others are, or are not, buying. 

As for pre-war swap meets, check out the growing event at Luray, VA.

Edited by greenie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greenie said:

Swap meets that are well run are enjoying a bounce while poor management at eBay has chased away both buyer and seller. Of course, Covid has had a tremendous effect- witness the reduced spectator count at Hershey. Demographics will certainly dictate what buyers look for and sellers provide. Take the opportunity to buy and enjoy what you like, and don’t worry so much about what others are, or are not, buying. 

As for pre-war swap meets, check out the growing event at Luray, VA.

Absolutely looking fwd to Luray again. One of my favorites. A good old fashioned swap meet. That and of course Hershey are about all I'm doing anymore.

Terry

• Like 2

I normally attend Chickasha, but timing this year made it impossible since we're leaving Sunday morning for the AACA Founders Tour in Mobile, Alabama.

Last minute change with A/C leaking freon on the '54 Caddy convertible, so we'll just drive the newly antique-licensed 1995 Grand Marquis (easier on my wife for the days following her chemo). Weather in Mobile looks good, other than strong Thunderstorms Tuesday and early Wednesday.

Hoping to make Chickasha next year !

• Like 3

The problem with Chickasha is that it really isn't close to anything or anywhere unless you live there. I went for the first ten years or so. It is a good event-and the early days produced lots of great "scores"- but takes a lot of effort to get there especially if you are from anywhere north. east, or west. Also, once you arrive, the swap meet is over in a day and a half.  In years past, one of the highlights was spending an evening at the Don Bolton/Ted Oney collection which was always a treat.  They were such a gracious and entertaining hosts. 

I thought about going this year, but when I added the flight, plus rent a car (egads, they are expensive nowadays!!!), plus a crappy hotel motel (because there are only crappy hotel motels in Chickasha) I decided to pass again.  Also, weather in Chickasha is typically cold, windy and rainy or sometimes hotter than the hinges of hell. That fine red dirt stays with you for a long time....

The Tulare (formerly Bakersfield) prewar swap meet in California is a much better option and seems to be growing. It is like swap meets "used to be" for those of us who like prewar stuff. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

At our club meeting, Rose City Model T Club, the guys that represent out club for the Portland Swap Meet (Oregon) said there were cancelations of some venders that would have had to travel quite a ways. So we will see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, motoringicons said:

The problem with Chickasha is that it really isn't close to anything or anywhere unless you live there. 

Funny how Jay Leno always seemed to find his way there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, motoringicons said:

In years past, one of the highlights was spending an evening at the Don Bolton/Ted Oney collection which was always a treat.

I couldn't agree more. 

I know Don is gone now, but is Ted still opening his collection during the Chicasha Swap?

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

I couldn't agree more. 

I know Don is gone now, but is Ted still opening his collection during the Chicasha Swap?

Ted sold off almost all of his cars awhile back and I believe relocated to Colorado. I am not sure if he is still with us.

The Bolton Collection was sold off after Don's death through private sales and the remainder at a Bonham's auction in Amelia Island.

They were two of the nicest car collectors I've ever met.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, motoringicons said:

Ted sold off almost all of his cars awhile back and I believe relocated to Colorado.

Sorry to hear this....  With the slim pickins at the swap and big car collections gone, aside from seeing a few of my car buddies at the swap, there is not much justification to make the trip anymore.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1