My two seminars at the Annual Convention-

Terry Bond

Many of us are eagerly awaiting the Feb Annual AACA Convention.  I've been calling it "Gettydelphia" since it was relocated from the traditional venue in downtown Philly to Gettysburg.  That's even easier for us to get to.  

I'm planning on presenting two seminars there and thought I'd post a little advance promotion.

First up will be something I've been asked to do by quite a few members.

"The History of the Spark Plug."   This will be an "electrifying" presentation with details on how the earliest versions of the spark plug evolved.  There will be some thumb-nail sketches of a few of the major players in manufacturing during the early years.  No-Bosch did not invent the spark plug and NO Champion was not the first to manufacture them!   Of course there will also be a look at plugs through the eye of the collector with examples of many different rare and unusual plugs too.

"The Cars of Scotland."   Ah-you thought only bagpipes and Scotch came from Scotland right?  Truth is, the Scotts invented the world!  From the TV to the pneumatic tire (oops, that's TYRE), Scotland has left us with many modern marvels - including a number of automobiles.  I became fascinated with Scotland's motoring history while living there years ago courtesy of the U.S. Navy.  Since then, I've dug up a lot of information and will share with you a few new discoveries made along the way.  Sorry, but hotel rules preclude a Scotch tasting while you enjoy.

See you there?

Terry

• Like 4

Have I missed information on the convention? I am pretty close to Philly and have always wanted to go. I am not yet an active member (just remembered I need to pay my dues) but would love to go. If it is in Gettysburg so much the better. I would rather go there than the big city of brotherly love. About the same distance either way. Is there a cuttoff for registration? Have I missed it? 

Also, for a newbie is it worthwhile to go, or will I just be in the way?

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

You'll need to contact Headqtrs and get your dues paid first. Look at the posts on this forum under the the AACA Shows and Tours category for a link to the registration forum. You can register at the event, but Banquet tickets may not be available without advance registration unless there have been cancelations.  It would be an enjoyable event for you I'm sure.

Terry

After seeing this I checked out the main page and found what I was looking for. Thanks. I usually just hit the forum link. 

Next question, Can one just go for a single day? I am in the just about too close to stay the night and too far to drive 2 days in a row. It is around my birthday so I may see if I can still get a room for a night. Would have to talk the wife into it. She really has no interest in antique cars.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

After seeing this I checked out the main page and found what I was looking for. Thanks. I usually just hit the forum link. 

Next question, Can one just go for a single day? I am in the just about too close to stay the night and too far to drive 2 days in a row. It is around my birthday so I may see if I can still get a room for a night. Would have to talk the wife into it. She really has no interest in antique cars.

Stay as long as you want to.  Many years ago when I lived in Baltimore I used to drive up real early Saturday morning to go to the judging school and then came home.  If you come on Friday you'll have plenty of seminars to choose from and also the trade fair.  I'm sure HQ will have a big table full of all the AACA merchandise there too.  It's really a great time.

Terry

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

Terry, I'll see you in Gettysburg.  I'm presenting the HPOF seminar at 10:15 on Saturday.  The schedule should be out very soon.

See you there- so far I'm penciled in to present the Cars of Scotland right after yours.  

Terry

• Like 1

Terry I can not get there this year but I hope you mention the Arrol-Johnston car  and the 1908 Nimrod Expedition that you do not hear much about. There are very few pictures of that car and I believe only one wheel remains of it. As for Shackleton you could talk the weekend about his exploits but then you would be off topic except for the one thing he did. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

"The Cars of Scotland."   Ah-you thought only bagpipes and Scotch came from Scotland right?  Truth is, the Scotts invented the world!  From the TV to the pneumatic tire (oops, that's TYRE), Scotland has left us with many modern marvels - including a number of automobiles.  I became fascinated with Scotland's motoring history while living there years ago courtesy of the U.S. Navy.  Since then, I've dug up a lot of information and will share with you a few new discoveries made along the way.  Sorry, but hotel rules preclude a Scotch tasting while you enjoy.

Will this be recorded?

I'm at the opposite end of the country and definitely won't be able to attend.   But I would like to hear more about the aforementioned Arrol-Johnston, as well as the Argyll, Albion trucks, and other efforts from Scotland.

Craig

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Just renewed my dues, now to figure when will be the best time to go.

It's hard to decide but traditionally, Friday is a day filled with seminars.  The Trade Fair will of course is open as well.  Saturday is filled with Judging Schools in the Am and later in the PM the Annual General Meeting takes place.  There will be some seminars on Saturday as well, prior to the membership meeting (like my "Cars of Scotland).  The Trade Fair winds up Saturday PM so everyone can get ready for the banquet that evening.  That banquet is a big part of the weekend though - It's the AACA "Academy Awards" and a moment in the spotlight for the AACA National Award winners in attendance.  It's a great chance to dress up and really experience one of AACA's "golden moments" laced with tradition and honor. 

I could go on-like I usually do, but you can attend what you want and form your own thoughts.  I'm sure you'll be hooked though.  Be sure to introduce yourself! 

See you there,

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Due to the change in venues the seminar schedule is still in flux.  As soon as it is final we will post.  I will be doing a seminar on how to move a complete convention to a new location in four weeks! :( 

What time is this seminar??  I want to put it on my list.