For Sale: 1950 Hudson Commodore - "Runs and drives good" - Huntington, WV - Not Mine - 6/10 & 5/7/22 Reduced

For sale on Craigslist: 1950 Hudson Commodore 4-door Sedan in Huntington, WV  -  $20,000  -  Contact Shelby Gibbs: 304 525 38 zero nine

On 5/7/22, Seller reduced price to $18,500

On 6/10, Seller reduced price to $14,000 and relisted

Link to 6/10 relist: https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/huntington-1950-hudson-commadore/7494265255.html

Seller also placed an Ebay Buy-It-Now listing for $20,000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165250353332/1950-Hudson-Commodore

Contact Ebay Seller: studebakerjeff 

Seller's Description:

1950 Hudson Commodore 4-door

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders
  • transmission: manual
  • odometer: 24,000
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean
  • VIN: 504104574

FOR SALE A 1950 HUDSON. RUNS GOOD AND DRIVES GOOD. HAS LOW MILEAGE. HAS A SMALL PROBLEM WITH THE WIRING, BUT VERY SMALL AND CAN BE FIXED

image.png.427bc7a11bfec641e1630e954b82298a.png

image.png.3578262b783bbd0d86ead5d6731f29a8.png

image.png.7efe41c92a312aedd79bc0b8891661f7.png

image.png.3c4c778a8c6ae3ac1e6df6b39d214f54.png

image.png.41ca266bd277c5c0760781a8e59268e7.png

image.png.6450ae7178ae91c1f68a84f70af5b2ca.png

image.png.a3e2709e33db8f40fe3b4cda0f9bf403.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price & status (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This car has been on the Hudson forum a few months.

He is hard to communicate with. I believe he said he is 80 years old? Wife is sick?

I think he bought the car in the last year.

He was asking for help, don't know if he got it.

All the photos I've seen are in the garage.

Seat upholstery doesn't match, needs dash touch up, etc.

I think he bought it the way it is, guessing he's asking somewhere near what he paid?

I think he has someone listing it on ebay for him.

Best to call his number and get the info from him.

• Like 3

Here is one of his posts on the Hudson forum. 

"I want 20,000 for It. I have a little problem with the wiring, Not that bad just trying to find someone to check it out . Not getting no power to the coil. I would do it myself, but being 82 years old It is hard to get under dash.. It runs good. I run a lead to the coil to get it started, and can drive it. If you know someone that would like to buy it , let me know."

Here is a later post. Hope he sells his car without being taken advantage of. some Hudson sedans sell for $20K ,
don't think this is one of them.

"I would like to sell my Hudson. My wife has been sick, and I want to help her, I posted my picture on the flathead fourm.. My name is Shelby Gibbs. I live in Huntington W.va. My Phone number I 304-525 -three eight O nine. My email is Ticktockguy@comcast.net .  I"m asking 20,000.00 for the car. It has a little wiring problem but is is minor. It runs and drives good. It is manual transmission, Thank you."
Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1950 Hudson Commodore - "Runs and drives good" - Huntington, WV - Not Mine - 12/28 No Longer Available
  • 4 months later...

Relisted, Price Reduced to $18,500: 5-7-2022: See Current Link Below.

A 1950 HUDSON COMMADORE - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

FOR SALE A 1950 HUDSON, RUNS GOOD AND DREIVES GOOD, HAS LOW MILAGE, PRICE DROP TO 18,500
Just had the carb. rebuilt and new ignition wires

Copy and paste in your email: edcb39daafc33dd1a6423ede00c30e4b@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by 58L-Y8
Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

So what does a respectable interior cost these days?

Paying for "respectable interior cost" in a really otherwise nice Hudson, plus acquisition and transportation, registration, taxes, etc., will far outweigh the resale value.

If you want this car, likely best to buy at an affordable price and maybe live with it "as-is",

just repairing the "little wiring" issue, getting power to the coil.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Paying for "respectable interior cost" in a really otherwise nice Hudson, plus acquisition and transportation, registration, taxes, etc., will far outweigh the resale value.

If you want this car, likely best to buy at an affordable price and maybe live with it "as-is",

just repairing the "little wiring" issue, getting power to the coil.

Thanks for your thoughts, Marty.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1950 Hudson Commodore - "Runs and drives good" - Huntington, WV - Not Mine - 5/7/22 Reduced and Relisted

This 1950 Hudson has one major flaw: the engine is incorrect for the car. Someone removed the original 262 that a Commodore would have and replaced it with a smaller 232 base-model Pacemaker engine. The seller does not mention this anywhere in the listing. The mismatched seats aren't helping the sale either. To further nitpick, the dashboard and all the interior should have a dark brown woodgrain finish and not be painted light blue. The shade of blue on the car MAY not be an authentic 1950 Hudson color anyway. Some additional minor flaws include a missing horizontal bumper bar under the front license plate and there's a thin C-shaped sheet metal baffle piece near the top of the radiator that's not there. If the "minor wiring problem" still exists and hasn't been properly addressed, all these things could add up and detract from the seller's somewhat optimistic asking price of $18.5K. I was searching You Tube and found this exact car was offered for sale in the past by an outfit called Auto Barn Classic Cars in Concord, NC. It was marked SOLD! on their website. The dealership does show some detailed pictures of the car but they don't seem to have their engine facts straight either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

55er, thank you as well for your insight. The dashes in the 1950 Commodores and Supers that I'm familiar with have a sort of imitation leather look to them in shades of brown. I have a beautiful one, and also, many other '50 items and options. That's why I've been searching intently for a '50 Commodore. While the paint looks nice on this car, I too can't find any evidence that it's a correct 1950 factory color. I have to think that the gentleman that bought it, and is now selling it, probably paid too much for it by far. Maybe his wife loved the color. Lastly, I suppose that it's possible that it has a 232 head on it, but that alone is way too suspicious on a supposedly low mile car.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

232,262,308 are cast into the cylinder head on the front corner. 232,262 engine blocks are the same? The 308 block is a different casting. You will see a cast round rib above where the oil pan bolts on. That is only on the 308's. You can see in the picture the cast rib towards the bottom. And the cast 262 on the cylinder head. This is a 308 block, with a 262 cylinder head on it. And in a Auburn.:o

Auburn 013.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Relisted, Price Reduced to $14,000: 6-10-2022

A 1950 HUDSON COMMADORE - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Seller's Description:

FOR SALE A 1950 HUDSON, it did run but it stopped running. Too old to work on it. HAS LOW MILAGE, PRICE DROP TO 14.000. Car is worth at least 19500, great deal for someone who wants to restore the car.  Just had the carb. rebuilt and new ignition wires. odometer: 28000

Copy and paste in your email: 9c4d1b6fa11039d088305742a33609d6@sale.craigslist.org

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1950 Hudson Commodore - "Runs and drives good" - Huntington, WV - Not Mine - 6/10 & 5/7/22 Reduced

If you are suggesting that the 262 engine is holding this one back, I'd say that you might be right, but only with some buyers. That 262 is a wonderfully torquey motor without any of the block cracking tendencies of the 308. The problem with this Commodore, which I seriously considered earlier, is it's crappy looking interior and how poorly it's been photographed. Look at all of the reflected fluorescent light glare on the paint. It could be perfect looking, but you would never know from those photos.

14 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I am a fan of the 49 Commodore, but would only invest in a club coupe. The day mine went away.😒

D4A3872B-4495-4BE0-93A1-A57CFB65FD58.jpeg

Oh Man, you sold that?

Dang.

I never get tired of those old Daytona videos.

I have a complete, great running 262 Hudson engine, transmission, and overdrive.

I bought it, running and still in the 1949 a couple of years ago, just in case I were to need it as a replacement.

If you need this, please contact me.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

That 262 is a wonderfully torquey motor

That's what's in my 47 Big boy, and boy you are right,  That thing has gobs of torque.  You get it on it and you can really feel it at almost any speed.  I forgot how good it really runs,  until I finally moved it out of the small garage to the bigger garage to free up some space to work on the wife's car.  Boy that thing runs really smooth.   Makes me realize I really need to finish cleaning the crap out of the back of it and start driving it again. 

• Like 2

My first Hudson was a 52 Wasp sedan. 262 column shift with overdrive. My daily driver for a few years. Never let me down, never had one problem with the car. Original interior, with older repaint in the original color, Texas tan. 262 is a great motor, and the wet clutch is very smooth.

• Like 3