Drive-In Theaters

TxBuicks

When I was in HS in the late 70s early 80s we had two drive in theaters in town.  By my senior year we were down to one,  and it lasted until about 1990.   Currently they are building a huge retail housing complex on the lot which sat vacant for almost 30 years.

Shame.    The drive in theater was the greatest invention ever for a HS kid.

When I lived in N.J. there were a lot. Turnpike drive in, North Brunswick, Somervile.  All gone by the 80s. THERE IS ONE LEFT IN sOUTH jERSEY. None down here in SC.. in the 50s and 60s. we went every week with our girls.

I remember going to drive-ins from the mid-50's until the early 70's.  I believe there's one left in Mendon, MA, about 35-40 miles west of Boston.

Many drive-ins had to adapt to the current digital format from film about 10 years to so ago.  At that time, there was still one in Graham, TX which was still in operation.  As well as one slightly southwest of Fort Worth, TX.  Honda came out with a promotion to give away 10 digital projector mechanisms to the top ten vote-getters on a national poll.  The Graham drive-in got one, as did the main remaining drive-in near Fort Worth.  In more recent years, seems like the Panther Island pavillion has a drive-in location, too?

There was a very popular drive-in here in Weatherford, TX.  Of course, families were up front and in the middle ground.  Word was that every so often, there would be people hiding in the trunk or climbing the rear fence to get in without paying.  My parents and I went to see "Old Yeller" and a few other shows back then.  My grandmother used to get complimentary tickets every so often, so sometimes she took me along.  The drive-in and the local "picture show" were  owned by the same people.

Seems like there have been some documentaries on drive-ins over the past 10 or so years?  Going to the drive-in was another reason to drive cars and be seen in them.  Unfortunately, as things progressed, the in-car speakers deteriorated and trying to listen to the dialogue on the car radio meant you might run the battery down.  Seemingly, the "only way to win" might have been in the far back rows of the parking lot?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

There was a very popular drive-in here in Weatherford, TX

I recall driving around the courthouse in Weatherford several times on my way to Mineral Wells.  Also stopped at the Mesquite Pit more than once for some brisket!  ;)

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, billbuickgs said:

BENGIES Drive in Essex Maryland . 2miles from my home . Opened June 1956 .

Claims to have the largest screen in America .

Bill

Last drive in for me was over in Timonium.  1970's.  I have not gone to Bengies.  Understand the owner is a bit of an oddball. Could be stories.   

2ae5d4a674464a49b2aa90caaa899efc.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 11/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, Smartin said:

There is one about an hour from here.  Skyview Drive-in, Belleville IL.  They have several car club events every year and they draw a big crowd. 

Last time I went to the Skyview in Belleville they had a full house and turned away probably 50 cars, including me. That was about three years ago. There also is a Skyview drive in in Litchfield Illinois. They have cruises too. I remember my Dad buying 1960 Chevrolet station wagon and he would fill a cooler with soda and Mom would pop a batch of popcorn and put it in two big paper grocery bags. if we were lucky everyone would get a candy bar too!!! We were not allowed food from the concession stand, too expensive! We would then go to the Starlight drive-in in Alton IL. (its gone), Dad Mom and the 4 kids. They had a playground we could use before the show. Remember the "pic" mosquito smokers?.  Later I took my dates to this drive in. Went on my first date with my Wife there in 1969. A lot of friends would show up on "D-I night" and we would park one of our cars in the very back row, by itself, for more privacy and take turns in it with our date...LOL!!! GOOD TIMES for sure!!!!,,,, Oh yeah, my sister had a '56 chevy convert and the liner behind the back seat was missing and you could put someone in the trunk and then climb into the back seat without being seen, not that we ever did that!!!!

Edited by Roadhog1951
spell (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...