So long guys, sold my car.

48Super

After almost 40 years of Riviera ownership I am now without one and very unlikely to own another.  Some of you my recall that earlier in the Spring, I posted here about a strange engine issue I was having with my '65 GS. After months of unsuccessfully trying to diagnose and correct the problem and then spending thousands having professionals also be unable to figure it out, I just gave up. As much as I liked the car, I decided I was too frustrated to continue. I'm at a point where I want to drive and enjoy my cars as opposed to slaving over a problem I can't correct.

The good news is that the car was recently sold to a very capable ROA member who I'm certain will be more successful at repairing it than I was. I really liked this car and I'll miss it but sometimes you just have to let go.

To replace the Riviera I got myself a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport with 3000 miles. I know what you're thinking "he's joined the DARK SIDE!" The Corvette is a blast to drive, it is absolutely just like a brand new car and it puts a gigantic smile on my face when I see it. 

I enjoyed being an ROA member and part of this forum for many years and I greatly appreciated all the help and advice I received during that time. I'll drop by here occasionally just to see what is going on (force of habit is hard to break). Good luck with your cars everyone.

20210920_151346_Burst01.jpg

2012 Corvette (1).jpg

20210921_113722_Burst01 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Sorry I wasn't abe to help you with your problems Mike.  The vehicle is in capable hands now.

I've come to the point of frustations MANY times. I just keep going at it.  I have an advantage over MANY as this is what I do/done for a living for over 60+ years.

Enjoy the 'vette!!!!

Tom T.

Everything has its time. Its normal for us to re-evaluate priorities as we age. I'm sure the decision was not made in haste as you have been around an awful long time with #603. Old vehicles can definitely become a bit of a pain to keep on the road. If I was not able to do all repair and maintenance, I would not have an old vehicle. You're not the first one to give up a Riv for a Vette. Seen it happen a handful of times over the years. Thanks for the update Mike and Happy Trails to you!

I will guess there is probably an old black rusty Escalade hooked to the front of that U-haul trailer. 🤔   

That Riviera is a beauty........the new owner is a lucky man. No doubt you will enjoy driving your Corvette

purchase. I just bought a 95 Corvette Indy Pace car with 1,000 original miles on it, very rare with only 527

made......It is a blast to drive, it immediately became my favorite car that I own as far as being fun to drive. 

DSCN0553.JPG

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0564.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, that is amazing to find a '95 Corvette with only 1000 miles. I know you will enjoy driving it because I've had a '96 Corvette for about 6 years now. I like the way the full-width hood opens up to give you access to everything in the engine compartment. Did you find the little storage compartments under the arm rests yet? You should consider joining the on line C4 Forum, lots of useful and interesting information can be found there. Hope you get to drive the car more than the last guy did.

1996 Corvette Front.jpg

1996 Corvette RT Side.jpg

Mike, I didn't know there was a C4 forum.....I'll check it out. I had a 1996 Polo Green with black interior coupe

that I bought new in June 1996 that I thoroughly enjoyed for five years. I hadn't been looking to buy a new Corvette

back then but one morning I picked up the Sunday Dallas Morning News and Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson, Tx.

was running a full page ad that stated that they had purchased all the 96 Corvettes that the Bowling Green Corvette

plant had left over before converting to C5 production (Around 60 Corvettes) and that they were selling all of them for

10,000 dollars off the Sticker Price. I thought the ad was a misprint, but I called the first thing Monday morning and they said that the ad was correct. Knowing an incredible deal when I found one, I drove straight down there and bought my Polo Green coupe with an MSRP

of 38,000 dollars for 28,000 dollars. I drove that car for five years and sold it for 26,000 dollars!

I love C4 Corvettes, even though they are the red headed step child of the Corvette purists. I have an 89 coupe I bought last year with only 78k on it. Car came with both tops and a six speed. Red with a black interior that was in perfect shape. They aren't fast by today's standards, but I have enjoyed driving it WAY more than the two supposedly more modern C5's I had. It has a raw feel to it that the newer cars just don't exhibit. Plus, I like the simplicity of the L98 cars, and the fact that 1989 was the first year of the ZF 6 speed and last year of the Knight Rider digital dash. Makes me almost want to grow a mullet, if I had more hair lol. I think C4 vettes will actually increase in value now, as it's somewhat tough to find ones that the interiors and weatherstripping aren't rotted on. But for now, I think they are a great bargain. What else can you buy for less than 10k that will run 150 mph, and handle like a go kart, all the while getting really decent gas mileage? As I said, I like the L98 cars, but the two models I would really like to own someday are the 1990 ZR-1 with it's one year only wheel design, and a 1996 LT4, with it's 330hp and six speed.

21 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

That Riviera is a beauty........the new owner is a lucky man. No doubt you will enjoy driving your Corvette

purchase. I just bought a 95 Corvette Indy Pace car with 1,000 original miles on it, very rare with only 527

made......It is a blast to drive, it immediately became my favorite car that I own as far as being fun to drive. 

DSCN0564.JPG

I see only two pedals on the floor. Looks like you’re missing out on 1/3 of the fun.  Seriously; a really nice car. I would have a hard time keeping the mileage down, though.