1966 PONTIAC GTO CONVERTIBLE BARN FIND SURVIVOR TRI-POWER FOUR SPEED FULL DOCS

Another car that has been on my list for ever,  this ticks every box except the color and the fact it is 75K.   At 40K I would be paying attention.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Pontiac-GTO-/154605555411

IF YOU HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THE ULTIMATE 1966 GTO THIS TIME CAPSULE IS IT. THIS GTO IS ONE OF THE RAREST YOU WILL EVER FIND AND POSSIBLY ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND. THE CAR IS UNRESTORED WITH ORIGINAL SPECIAL ORDER TIGER GOLD PAINT,WHITE TOP,AND BLACK INTERIOR. THE 389 TRIPOWER ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN ARE NUMBERS MATCHING ORIGINAL. FACTORY ORDERED SPECIAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDES:M21 4 SPEED CLOSE RATIO TRANSMISSION,3:90 REAR END WITH SAF-T-TRACK DIFFERENTIAL,20:1 MANUAL QUICK STEERING,AND METALLIC BRAKE LININGS. OPTIONS INCLUDE RALLY GAUGES,RALLY WHEELS,CUSTOM SPORT WOOD WHEEL,WALNUT SHIFT KNOB,UNDERHOOD AND TRUNK LID LAMPS,REMOTE MIRROR,VISOR VANITY MIRROR,AND MORE AS LISTED ON THE WINDOW STICKER. RED LINE TIRES WERE STANDARD.THE GTO IS PHS DOCUMENTED. ALSO,THE BUILD SHEET WAS FOUND ABOVE THE GAS TANK. THE PAPER IS IN ROUGH CONDITION BUT THE WORDS TIGER GOLD CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER DOCUMENTING SPECIAL ORDER PAINT. THERE IS ALSO AN ORIGINAL SERVICE RECEIPT FROM A PONTIAC DEALER IN 1967. THE RECEIPT SHOWS THE PROTECTO PLATE STAMP THAT WAS USED AT THE TIME OF SERVICE. THE NUMBER 495309 FROM THE STAMP MATCHES THE NUMBER STAMPED ABOVE WS CODE ON THE ENGINE. ALSO,THE STAMPING ON THE TRANSMISSION MATCHES THE VIN,AS NOTICED WHEN A CLUTCH BEARING WAS REPLACED A COUPLE YEARS AGO.THE CAR RUNS AND DRIVES BUT WOULD NEED NEW TIRES,SUSPENSION WORK,AND OVERALL MECHANICAL CHECK TO BE ROAD WORTHY.STRUCTURALLY THE CAR IS SOLID. IT HAS NICE FLOOR PANS,BRACES,TRUNK,AND REAR WHEELHOUSES.THE RIGHT DOOR AND QUARTER HAVE SOME DENTS. MINOR RUST HOLES CAN BE FOUND ON LEFT SIDE FENDER AT LOWER REAR,LEFT DOOR AT LOWER REAR,AND LEFT QUARTER AT FRONT WHEEL OPENING AREA.INTERIOR IS COMPLETE WITH A NICE BACK SEAT,DASH,AND GAUGES. BUCKET SEATS ARE NICE FOR THEIR AGE WITH MINOR WEAR.MUCH MORE CAN BE SAID OF THIS RARE SURVIVOR BUT CAR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PICK-UP.

GTO-3.JPG

GTO-2.JPG

GTO-1.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

I had a very similar car back in the late 70's.  Reef Turquoise with Parchment interior and white top.  389 tri-power 4 speed (with console).  The only car I really miss to this day.

This is an exceptional car and deserves a good restoration despite the rust belt heavy scaling on the frame.   But I agree, $75K in it's current condition is pretty optimistic when it needs a $40K restoration.

Only downside for me personally is the black interior.  Think "sweaty fat girl in elementary school, wearing shorts, tubby thigh squeaking on plywood chair".   You remember that noise.   :lol:

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

I don't think you can call a car that's so far gone that it requires full restoration a 'survivor'.  'Barn Find' -- maybe...

I agree.  But if the price was right I would fix enough to make it dependable and love it the way it is.   The hardest part for me would be the gold.

I love the gold. Great car but at 75k I would expect a fully restored vehicle. I think you are close at 40k. Doesnt look like it needs a full restoration, but it does need a lot of love to make it road worthy. Makes me want to get to work on my 66 chevelle even more!  I have a good friend with a 66 hardtop, seriously considering trading my 79 TA for it.

My father had a ‘66 GTO when I was younger. It was just a used car then and he did not baby it. For some reason he sold it shortly before I turned 16?  I’ve had a soft spot for these ever since. I can still smell the burning rubber. 

Neat car and a lot of potential. The tri-power four speed plus 3.90 rear end is super cool. I could live with the gold although far from my first choice. My ideal would be maroon in and out to match my memories. 

I know these are popular but the price seems high to me. Lots of work here. That passenger quarter took some strange damage that looks like it would be hard to pull. I’d love to have it, but I could get so many other bucket list cars for that kind of money. 

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I can tell I’m getting old and boring, I’d rather have a nice clean Lemans stick for a fraction of the price. I have very little desire to go fast anymore.   

I struggle with gold.........  I do like Aztec Copper in straight axles. 

You need to find me a link to any 66/67 Lemans Vert stick car that has sold in the last 10 years.  I don't remember one - although that doesn't mean it didn't happen.   All those cars got crushed or turned in to GTOs.

• Like 1

I had a 67 Nocturne Blue/ black interior 400 4 speed back in the early 90's. It had been parked for years inside a damp garage and was a Pennsylvania car to start then into Ontario Canada. Needless to say it was rusty. These are one of my favourites also, and rare to find in Canada as we got Beaumont's not GTO's until 1969 unless special order.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

You need to find me a link to any 66/67 Lemans Vert stick car that has sold in the last 10 years.  I don't remember one - although that doesn't mean it didn't happen.   All those cars got crushed or turned in to GTOs.

I am sure virtually all of them are “clones or tributes” whatever you want to call them.  And priced quite a bit below the legit GTO market. 

I have not tracked them like other specific cars but do think they are fabulous.

it is still fun to think about stumbling onto a clean, dog dish hubcaps, Plain Jane Lemans some grandma has in her garage, with a stick that she “never drove much because she didn’t want the stick but her husband chose that”.......... so it only has 17,000 miles on it. 

but not Gold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Here's the closest thing currently available.  Lousy pictures, poor ad and a small block Chev with auto trans and a GTO hood, but the asking price is pretty fair and there's much here to work with. 

The red interior means this car had to be Cameo Ivory, Regimental Red or Starlight Black originally.

1967 Lemans convertible - $14,500 (Chatsworth)

lemans1.jpg.25e31ffd3fc88621aae63d432ab66fe7.jpglemans2.jpg.b201d4e7f5f4bba4e2b2ae08bf0dd2a4.jpglemans3.jpg.55830ea2fe26085d89c1047e21b5c0ef.jpg

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/chatsworth-1967-lemans-convertible/7379525813.html

Selling our 1967 lemans has been sitting for about a year ran great when was parked. Has Chevy 350 and turbo 350 automatic transmission. Clean title $14,500 obo. For more info please call anytime

Perry (310) 694-1804

Cannot seem to grab pics but here is a cool 68 Lemans w ohc 6, 3 speed.  Looks nice for $13k.

I saw original owner listing 3 weeks ago, so flipper has it but has done no apparent harm.  I like the 68, 69 nose, very clean looking car.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1016172172552307/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

This isn't a convertible but I would LOVE to have it.  To bad they don't show the OHC Six.

https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/pontiac/114184-1967-pontiac-lemans-sprint-ohc-6-cyl-4-bbl.html

1967-pontiac-lemans-sprint-ohc-6-cyl-4-b

AJ, that is the kind of car I could make my everyday driver to and from the office 8 months out of the year here in Northern Illinois. Great styling and a price to just let you smile and enjoy the daily sound and smell and ride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Cannot seem to grab pics but here is a cool 68 Lemans w ohc 6, 3 speed.  Looks nice for $13k.

I saw original owner listing 3 weeks ago, so flipper has it but has done no apparent harm.  I like the 68, 69 nose, very clean looking car.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1016172172552307/

Steve, that is pretty cool!

That is an interesting and rare project car / barn find but IMO too far gone to be called an original survivor. I'm probably alone here but that 75k price is ridiculous and even 40k is pretty crazy although if you dumped some extra dust on it and took it through a big auction it would probably get the big $$. This is why my muscle car days are over even though I love 'em.

• Like 1

My 1968 Firebird convertible was an OHC 4.1 inliner with a 3 speed stick floor shift. Manual roof,  bare bones Firebird. But it had the 4 barrel Rochester and the supercool hood call out emblems "4.1 OHC". Sounded more like a Jaguar 6 than a lowly Chevy Stovebolt  updated decendant.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, TexRiv_63 said:

even 40k is pretty crazy

I agree.  I have followed the GTO market for years and if you get $75K for that car you are either lucky or found a buyer with too much money.  Unless you are providing the labor yourself you can't finish that car correctly for $40K in my opinion.  The 66/67 GTO market has been soft in the last 24 months.  Go to Bring a trailer/GTO to see what you could have purchased for $75K

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I agree.  I have followed the GTO market for years and if you get $75K for that car you are either lucky or found a buyer with too much money.  Unless you are providing the labor yourself you can't finish that car correctly for $40K in my opinion.  The 66/67 GTO market has been soft in the last 24 months.  Go to Bring a trailer/GTO to see what you could have purchased for $75K

I agree the 75k is asking stupid money.   But the car is a bit of a unicorn with those options.    You can't compare it to your run of the mill 389/4 with an automatic and no docs.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Here is the comp that is going to tell us exactly where the market is for the gold car if it was really nice and black.   I'm assuming the Royal Bobcat treatment was not done in period and I'll call it a wash on value then.   I'm figuring 125-145k.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1021-467926/1966-pontiac-gto-convertible

66GTOConvertibleRoyalBobcat.jpg

Thats a pretty nice car. For an auction sale I would not be surprised to see it hit $125k.  

• Like 1