Movie car ridiculousness

rocketraider

26 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

And every car that goes off of a cliff explodes into a ball of flame......, Usually before it hits something solid!

They make a point of doing this regularly on The Simpsons whenever anything crashes.  Even a shopping cart.

Her is a question for old TV fans.

Was it ever explained how Roy Rogers and Dale Evans chased crooks on horesback and sidekick 
"Jingles" drove a jeep?    Really a jeep in the old west or were Roy and Dale just way behind the times?

31 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Her is a question for old TV fans.

Was it ever explained how Roy Rogers and Dale Evans chased crooks on horesback and sidekick 
"Jingles" drove a jeep?    Really a jeep in the old west or were Roy and Dale just way behind the times?

Wasn't it actor Pat Buttram in the role of Pat Brady who drove the Jeep which was named NellyBelle?

Paul,

"Happy Trails" to You !!,

"'Till We Meet Again", 

maybe on the Glidden Tour in Saratoga Springs ?

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)

Oh where to begin.....

Roy and Dale were in the present time period of their show, just happens to be in the west and they like horses as transportation.

Pat Brady plays the part of Pat Brady, and drives Nellybelle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043225/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Andy Devine said "Pluck your magic twanger Froggy" on his show, Andy's Gang. He took over for Ed McConnell upon his passing. Andy was also Jingles with Wild Bill, as noted by misterc9. And you are correct on Pat Buttram also (Gene Autry and later Green Acres)

Smokey and The Bandit,  many times during the movie as the car is speeding away from hijinks, one can hear the driving shifting through the gears, only problem is the car is a 3 speed automatic.  I have heard that the sound track was dubbed in from 2 lane blacktop.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:54 PM, CarlLaFong said:

It's even more ridiculous to believe that you could squoosh s Continental to a cube that size

You guys beat me to mentioning this one.  I'm too lazy to find the forum postings, it's not here at aaca, but a couple of years ago I found some commentary on this.  There apparently were a couple of different Continentals used in various scenes.  And when they put the car in the crusher, it clearly had its engine removed.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Marty Roth said:

Wasn't it actor Pat Buttram in the role of Pat Brady who drove the Jeep which was named NellyBelle?

Paul,

"Happy Trails" to You !!,

"'Till We Meet Again", 

maybe on the Glidden Tour in Saratoga Springs ?

No, ironically enough, Pat Brady played the role of Pat Brady. Pat Buttrum  was Gene Autry's sidekick

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

No, ironically enough, Pat Brady played the role of Pat Brady. Pat Buttrum  was Gene Autry's sidekick

I guess I got my cowboy shows mixed up, sorry.   What Iiked about those  shows,  WE saw the bad guy  do   

the crime, get caught, have a fair trial and get hung, all in 22 minutes.  Gave me great expectations of justice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Hey, didn't that smart aleck already say that? 😆

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

What's wrong with this picture?

YnY6H6B.gif

I don't know, but when I saw it in the theater the tuner crowd got awfully  and uncharacteristically quiet. They know it is physically impossible for a FWD Honda to grab air.

Didn't help that all the old American muscle car guys busted out laughing.

How many of those movies did they make anyway? Long in the tooth...

13 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Well .......... - I guess we've got that "Down Pat",

... at least Trigger and Bullet were able to keep it straight ?

Back in 1998, driving our '63 Impala convertible from New Orleans to the AACA Founders Tour in Milpitas, California  (San Francisco Bat Area), I stopped at their museum in Victorville, CA. On the advice of the guide/docent, I waited around a while and got to meet Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - surely among my childhood heros. I regret not asking for autographs or pictures. They both were very gracious. 

19 hours ago, wws944 said:

You guys beat me to mentioning this one.  I'm too lazy to find the forum postings, it's not here at aaca, but a couple of years ago I found some commentary on this.  There apparently were a couple of different Continentals used in various scenes.  And when they put the car in the crusher, it clearly had its engine removed.

Even more idiotic was showing the movie watchers a crane setting a 2 1/2 ton block of crushed Continental sedan into the box of a Ford Falcon Ranchero and driving off.  Someone tried to duplicate that stunt by setting a safe of the same weigh into a Ranchero.  The floor pan tore apart where the cab met the box, the windshield popped out and the rear tires blew.   The body was two badly bent sections on the ground in the middle.   But, movie ask us to suspend credibility, to not think, just be entertained.

13 hours ago, rocketraider said:

and photoshop wizards appeared.

They have been "photoshopping" film since about when the first negative was made.... Watch the film The General with Buster Keaton. Yes, he did his own stunts, but he knew how to use a camera to record what was not real.👍

I had an old friend whose job was to determine if pictures were real or not for the CIA. Way before digital cameras.😉

• Like 1

One of Buster Keeton's most famous film shorts had him playing all the roles in the movie! As many as seven of him in single scenes! He played the men, the women, a kid (if I recall correctly?), and some of the most famous scenes are him as seven players in a small musical band!

This was a silent film in the early 1920s ("The Playhouse" I think?).

CGI just makes it easier and faster.