1963 Studebaker GT Hawk - $12k

Not mine. The advertiser gives just enough info to get you to nibble. Or maybe not. Looks interesting so might be worth a look.  I like the wheels. Maybe Hurst?  The auto show connection might be true but wouldn’t add any value for me.  The blower and the four speed do though. Interesting comparison with the rusty black one that was posted recently. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1148930368952818/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

Rare model with the R2 supercharged engine and 4 speed manual transmission. Was one of the display cars in the Studebaker Booth at the 1963 NY Auto Show.

This is the only pic. 
image.jpeg.b9f913fcb7fc443cf91e98b64ddd21f9.jpeg

• Like 2

I came close to buying a friends R2 four speed Avanti a few years ago before I came to my senses.  It looked like a great original Black car until you looked at the hog troughs.    So because I must have nothing else to do I watch for R2 four speed cars.   You see maybe 3-4 Avantis a year,  and maybe one GT.

So this is the 2021 R2 stick GT that will be for sale and the guy put together a horrific advertisement.

The auto show thing is awesome if you can prove it.   1 in 100 people that make that claim can prove it.

If the red is factory,  it beats the white that at least 1/2 of them seem to be.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm annoyed with myself now.   At 12k this was a crazy deal for a very special car.  

46A code on the production order below, "High Performance Package" includes the following:

• 289 cu in Avanti Supercharged engine (Studebaker made, not Ford)
  • Belt-driven Paxton SN-60 Supercharger
  • Carter AFB 4-barrel pressure sealed Avanti carburetor
  • Twin Traction limited-slip differential
  • Power front disc/rear drum brakes (Studebaker was the first U.S. manufacturer to use front disc brakes)
  • Heavy-duty springs and shocks
  • Front and rear anti-roll bar
  • High-performance gauge package (tachometer and 160 mph speedometer)
  • Other features are the 4-speed Borg Warner T-10 transmission and a 3.73 ratio twin traction rear end
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 8:12 PM, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Chrysler I believe had disc brakes in the late 40's early 50's on some special models. 

I know for sure the 55 Imperial 56 Imperial Limo's had disc brakes, not the standard 55 Imperials

Imperial had discs around 49-50, Crosley before that.

Lanchester patented and used an early version in 190?

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 6:43 AM, alsancle said:

I'm annoyed with myself now.   At 12k this was a crazy deal for a very special car.  

46A code on the production order below, "High Performance Package" includes the following:

• 289 cu in Avanti Supercharged engine (Studebaker made, not Ford)
  • Belt-driven Paxton SN-60 Supercharger
  • Carter AFB 4-barrel pressure sealed Avanti carburetor
  • Twin Traction limited-slip differential
  • Power front disc/rear drum brakes (Studebaker was the first U.S. manufacturer to use front disc brakes)
  • Heavy-duty springs and shocks
  • Front and rear anti-roll bar
  • High-performance gauge package (tachometer and 160 mph speedometer)
  • Other features are the 4-speed Borg Warner T-10 transmission and a 3.73 ratio twin traction rear end

He who snoozes looses.... or sometimes you just get lucky...

I made the PO a decent offer and I got this special Stude. I put it on Barnfinds as a lark, hense the asking price. I have the car parked next to my Avanti, and plan on a full rstoration.

This GT Hawk actually starts and runs excellent. Everything works , including the S/C. It is very original down to the paint and carpets. It is registered and I drive it on a regular basis. I have 2 NOS front fenders an 2 rear quarters, still in the original S/P cartons. I even have an extra D/S front fender along with a trunkfull of parts that also came with it. I think it was a real good buy. It was for sale for 4 days before I got there to see it. All I can say is that this Hawk is way cool and I was lucky to be able to buy it.

thumbnail_IMG_2713.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2700.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2782.png

• Like 7

To be really nice, yes. It will be a while before that happens though. Until then, i am just enjoying it and fixing what needs to be fixed to keep it safe andd reliable.

I am looking for the Daytons that were used on it when it was in New York in 1963. The PO got the original steel wheels and hub caps. I have the caps but not the wheels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sagandaga said:

To be really nice, yes. It will be a while before that happens though. Until then, i am just enjoying it and fixing what needs to be fixed to keep it safe andd reliable.

I am looking for the Daytons that were used on it when it was in New York in 1963. The PO got the original steel wheels and hub caps. I have the caps but not the wheels.

Do you have pictures of it from the show?  Those should be somewhere.

Cool car.  Keep us posted on your progress.

I sent email twice to the National Studebaker Museum in South Bend asking if they had any in their archives. I also mentioned I was willing to pay for copies of any pictures or information they had on this car. No response was forthcoming from them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That's a very Nice looking Early '63 GT Hawk, (Non-recessed Parking Lights) but the Dealer or Owner that installed that incorrect location Radio Antenna on the Right Cowl ought to be Shot!

I included a Pic of a '64 Avanti Powered GT with the correct Left Front Fender and through the Lower Cowl into the "A" Pillar Factory/Dealer Correct Location.

I happen to prefer the optional Thunderbird style Rear deck Antenna, but if it is front Mounted, it would be good to be correct on an otherwise Original, excellent condition Hawks.

Red '64 2.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Advertised again, this time asking for $16k. Hadley, NY. Still cool, still needs work.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1075035569849108

1963 Studebaker GT Hawk. R2 supercharged engine, 4 speed transmission, PS, PDB and full high performance package. Early production model, 1 of 1, built for the 1963 New York Auto show in the spring of ‘63. The car is very original, paint, interior and running gear. All numbers match build sheet. Starts well, runs and drives. This is a 59 year old car and has not been restored. I have some rare and valuable NOS parts that may go with the car for the right offer. The last photo is the car in 1963. Not looking nor entertaining comments or rebuttal. Seriously interested parties can contact me for an appointment to view.

More pics in the ad.

image.jpeg.f39bf8662e52d0fa8f9024d14c0bdbb4.jpeg

I think this is the ultimate Studebaker GT. I’m assuming it must need more work than what shows in the pictures, because a Studebaker guy should’ve snapped this up.

I realize he’s flipping it, but I still think 18 K is not outrageous for what it is.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think this is the ultimate Studebaker GT. I’m assuming it must need more work than what shows in the pictures, because a Studebaker guy should’ve snapped this up.

I realize he’s flipping it, but I still think 18 K is not outrageous for what it is.

I think you are spot on. My thought the guy that is selling it now must have bit off more than he could chew, more work than what they figured on? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If I have to buy this, I’m gonna be pissed.

I’m tripling my shop rate if you make me work on this…………

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pic

Just now, alsancle said:

Somebody tell me about the wheels on the car in the auto show picture.

Product photo of 1963 Studebaker  GT Hawk

Pic is at the Chicago Auto Show.   I attended and walked that red ramp up behind the Avanti.  Had to because the crowd in front of the railing was 2-3 deep and I was 16 and still growing!

The wheels on the Hawk GT are Dayton wire wheels and sure look great on the car!!!

• Like 2