1963 Studebaker GT Hawk - $12k

1 hour ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if they used the same car at both NY and Chicago Auto Shows. Only about a month between them.

I'm not a Stude guy but I thought I saw somewhere that the Chicago car is alive and restored.  Could be they made a few show cars to the same specification?

As a side note, I have Ed on board now, and have messaged the seller.  He responded quickly to my question on the availability of the car, but have not heard back with my 2 followup questions. 

• Like 2

Hi, AJ!  It sounds like you are talking yourself (& getting our help!) in buying this GT!  I like it!  You have my endorsement!  Greg

On 12/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, alsancle said:

I know you don't get it.   But the last line of this build card says everything to me.

9A3B5E78-AC9D-49A9-B750-2D26CAD9EA53.jpeg

Pricing, the psychology and thought process behind is just so fickle at times.  

I think of Studebaker people as pretty loyal club guys who "get it".  It is odd to me that one of them hasn't grabbed this.    

Things that sell in the 10-12K range.......rubber bumper MG's, Tired restored Model A sedans, Nice Vega/Pinto/Gremlin, Six cylinder Nova,....... and........apparently.........A 63 GT Hawk, supercharged, four speed, NY Auto show documented car..........?

Uh......what am I missing.......

I would think this car would gather a crowd at any Studebaker event.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Pricing, the psychology and thought process behind is just so fickle at times.  

I think of Studebaker people as pretty loyal club guys who "get it".  It is odd to me that one of them hasn't grabbed this.    

Things that sell in the 10-12K range.......rubber bumper MG's, Tired restored Model A sedans, Nice Vega/Pinto/Gremlin, Six cylinder Nova,....... and........apparently.........A 63 GT Hawk, supercharged, four speed, NY Auto show documented car..........?

Uh......what am I missing.......

I would think this car would gather a crowd at any Studebaker event.  

I’m with you. What is wrong. Here’s the Chicago show car.2A25FB90-B01F-4BF8-8F97-68C1553C3CF3.jpeg.d69db3d5ef55a2bc4ffe17d52ba64e7b.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

It’s so much more fun when my friends buy stuff. You get to play with it, sit in it, and then go home and not think about it.

That my collecting plan in a nutshell……..play with other peoples toys, and get paid to do it. So far it has worked out great. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is one of those cars that will be bought for a good price and restored beautifully. With its provenance, everyone that hears the story of how well it was bought will think, 'where was I when things like that were around?'

I dont know if it IS a bargain, but from what I have seen sell it seems like it to me. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, alsancle said:

I'm not a Stude guy but I thought I saw somewhere that the Chicago car is alive and restored.  Could be they made a few show cars to the same specification?

The Chicago show car and the New York show car are indeed two separate cars.  The Chicago show car, serial 63V8227, is restored and owned by Steve Doerschlag.  https://studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTN30/JTN30.html

More on the NYC show car here: https://studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTN46/jtn46.html

Craig

• Thanks 1

It looks like a great value to me, but I can play the devils advocate and argue against it. It goes something like this......Said while smiling......” I just don’t want to have one more thing in my life that I am responsible for”

that prudent responsible judgment frequently fails me.

AJ, I think it is best for all of us if you buy it and let us ride along and experience it for free. Those auto show cars are right up your alley. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

It looks like a great value to me, but I can play the devils advocate and argue against it. It goes something like this......Said while smiling......” I just don’t want to have one more thing in my life that I am responsible for”

that prudent responsible judgment frequently fails me.

AJ, I think it is best for all of us if you buy it and let us ride along and experience it for free. Those auto show cars are right up your alley. 

Agree, Maybe we can have a rolling exhibit with it as well. He can store it at members garages around the country. Stay for 2 weeks and move on to the next location.