VW odd option.

The ad doesn't appear to be genuine Volkswagen accessory, nor are they VW Part Numbers.  And VW didn't start using a 12V electrical system on Type 1 until 1967.

I do know GM offered electric razors in the 1950's as an genuine accessory.

Craig

• Like 1

It is claimed "Manufactured specifically for the Volkswagen Beetle"

But also came in 12 volt version which VW did not offer anywhere near 1959. So I don't know. Maybe it was made for any vehicle. It had a mounting bracket for the VW dash, but if you wanted to custom fabricate a bracket you could mount it in some other. Also, it just plugged into the cigarette lighter.

• The first picture in this thread is 1962 or later VW Beetle.
  • The second picture could be 1959 or earlier.
  • Why?   The gas guage shown was introduced in 1962.

2 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:
  • The first picture in this thread is 1962 or later VW Beetle.
  • The second picture could be 1959 or earlier.
  • Why?   The gas guage shown was introduced in 1962.

The second photo is either 1958 or 1959.  1957 & earlier dashboards are way different with the radio speaker in the center, and 1960 models got the dished steering wheel like the '62 or later in the top photo.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Why?   The gas gauge shown was introduced in 1962.

Yes! I had a friend with a 61 Beetle, and I got used to flicking the "reserve lever" with my foot. You drove until the engine faltered, flicked the lever and drove to a service station. Who needs a gauge? This  is also why VW fuel gauges said R instead of E for many years, a nod to Reserve.

The 62 fuel gauge was also mechanical, float attached to a "Bowden" cable that swung the needle.

• Like 1

I have seen before where VW would rebox a german accessory item made by a german aftermarket company. They would give it a ZVW part number (accessory items for VW started with ZVW) That being said, it is possible to find some accessory VW items as an "original authorized" accessory part or as an aftermarket item as well.

I use to collect mint NOS boxed accessory items back in the 80s and 90s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yes! I had a friend with a 61 Beetle, and I got used to flicking the "reserve lever" with my foot. You drove until the engine faltered, flicked the lever and drove to a service station. Who needs a gauge? This  is also why VW fuel gauges said R instead of E for many years, a nod to Reserve.

Except you had to remember to reset the lever after you filled up with fuel.

Craig

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, 8E45E said:

The second photo is either 1958 or 1959.  1957 & earlier dashboards are way different with the radio speaker in the center, and 1960 models got the dished steering wheel like the '62 or later in the top photo.

Craig

The second picture is 58-59. Not all 1960 models get the dished steering wheel. The Standard beetle and the Standard Custom models keep the old LONG steering column until 1966 and both have no gas gauge until 1966, The standard also uses the old 3 spoke steering wheel that goes back to 1938. The Standard Custom model uses the 56-59 deluxe steering wheel with the long steering column. Both standard models continue with this arrangement threw 1966 model year.

Here is the picture of my 65 111 1200"A" Custom ( in 1965 VW starts calling the Standard model and the Standard Custom 1200"A""s) Note the long old style steering column and deluxe style steering wheel, manual choke, grab bar delete, and no chrome trim on dash with gas gauge delete and reserve tap on firewall. Note the gray only door cards and no map pouch and the "A" pillar with no door light switch. Speedo is in kilometers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

The second picture is 58-59. Not all 1960 models get the dished steering wheel. The Standard beetle and the Standard Custom models keep the old LONG steering column until 1966 and both have no gas gauge until 1966, The standard also uses the old 3 spoke steering wheel that goes back to 1938. The Standard Custom model uses the 56-59 deluxe steering wheel with the long steering column. Both standard models continue with this arrangement threw 1966 model year.

Here is the picture of my 65 111 1200"A" Custom ( in 1965 VW starts calling the Standard model and the Standard Custom 1200"A""s) Note the long old style steering column and deluxe style steering wheel, manual choke, grab bar delete, and no chrome trim on dash with gas gauge delete and reserve tap on firewall. Note the gray only door cards and no map pouch and the "A" pillar with no door light switch. Speedo is in kilometers.

You have a non-US market Beetle.  

To my knowledge, the Standard and Standard Custom was not marketed in the US or Canada, but that did not stop one from importing a Standard Custom prior to 1968 on their European Delivery Program, or a US serviceman bringing a new on home upon his returning from duty overseas.   Not to mention, different VW assembly plants around the world used older components years after the German plant upgraded to more modern components.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 8E45E said:

You have a non-US market Beetle.  

To my knowledge, the Standard and Standard Custom was not marketed in the US or Canada, but that did not stop one from importing a Standard Custom prior to 1968 on their European Delivery Program, or a US serviceman bringing a new on home upon his returning from duty overseas.   Not to mention, different VW assembly plants around the world used older components years after the German plant upgraded to more modern components.

Craig

Craig, The 1200"A" Custom model was imported to Canada. The only difference from a Euro Standard Custom and Canadian 1200"A" is the European model stays with Franz Reimspiess original design architecture 36 HP engine and Canadian's get the new 40HP engine.

My fresh air 1965 36 HP engine;

This engine below is a 40HP engine. The 40hp was used in the states from 1961-1965. In Europe it was used from 1961-1978, in fact the very last Beetle sedan made in Germany was a 1200 40HP with swing axle. Notice the difference between my 36HP engine and the 40HP. The 36HP has a cast in generator stand-the 40HP has a bolt on generator stand. Notice the difference in the fuel pump location between the two. FYI the Porsche 356 1600 engine design is in-between these two engines as it has a bolt on generator stand but the fuel pump is in the same location as the 36HP engine. Early 356 engines use VW engine cases and later use the three piece engine case.

Below is the 356 engine and note all of these engines can be interchanged without any problems. See how the Porsche engine is in-between the two VW engines.

TheSamba.com :: Porsche - 356 - View topic - 1954 Pre-A typ 1500cc 2pc. Porsche  engine

The 1200"A" model was offered in Europe and Canada only. Here is a brochure for the Canada 1200 "A" Custom;

1.jpg

My 65 1200"A" was picked up at Wolfsburg in January 1965 and driven through Europe for a month, serviced in the south of Germany for it's first oil change and valve adjustment ( 600 mile service ) then brought back to Wolfsburg factory serviced again for the 1500 mile service and VW arranged to ship it on the VW factory ship to Long Beach Ca. where it was reunited with it's original owner. I bought the car from the original owner 53 years ago.

It's still a numbers matching car, I rebuilt the engine in 1972 while I was a unit repair mechanic ( engine and transaxle mechanic) for a VW dealership in Redondo Beach Ca. I painted it in it's original Seablau color in 1973 in my driveway.

Note the car on the rt. of my 65 is a friends 1966 40HP Type 115 ( 1200"A" Ragtop sunroof )- deluxe models got a steel sliding sunroof starting in 1964.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Craig, The 1200"A" Custom model was imported to Canada. The only difference from a Euro Standard Custom and Canadian 1200"A" is the European model stays with Franz Reimspiess original design architecture 36 HP engine and Canadian's get the new 40HP engine.

My fresh air 1965 36 HP engine;

The 1200"A" model was offered in Europe and Canada only. Here is a brochure for the Canada 1200 "A" Custom;

1.jpg

Canada was in interesting market for VW, and those 1200'A' models were, and are quite rare.  The Type 3 Notchback was imported to Canada, as was the  Karmann Ghia Type 34.

There is equipment US Beetles have that is not normally seen on Canadian market Beetles, including swing out rear quarter windows.

Craig

71_T3_1.jpg

71_T3_2.jpg

71_T3_3.jpg

There is equipment US Beetles have that is not normally seen on Canadian market Beetles, including swing out rear quarter windows.

U.S or any other country never had swing out windows. They were a dealer installed factory option in the U.S. and Europe. Can't imagine Canada didn't have these.

VW of Canada tried to keep a low price point to be competitive with the popular British sedans and wagons which had sovereign (no duty) import status at the time, hence the availability of low-price offerings, including the Beetle 1200A to provide a low advertised price.  

Incidently, it was Studebaker of Canada who helped VW of Canada keep prices down by importing new cars and Type 2's though them from Germany to save some on paying full duty.  As per Stu Chapman, Studebaker's advertising director of the time, stated Studebaker of Canada used its status as a Canadian manufacturer to take advantage of lower import duties than a Canadian importer. Studebaker was able to import Volkswagens from Germany and sell them to Volkswagen of Canada at a lower cost to Volkswagen and Studebaker was still able to make $150 on each car imported.   

As per Automotive News:  Automotive News - Stude's Import of VWs Stirs Hassle In Canada - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

For Volkswagen products offered in the British Empire,

the alternative product was a "Mr Tea",

as advertized by Father Guido Sarducci on Saturday Night Live.

You placed a filter with tea leaves into a funnel,

and poured boiled water into it-

hopefully not while driving your VW over British Backroads.

And you had to pour left-handed while driving on the right side of the car and left side of the road,

but couldn't shift at the same time.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Custom & Standard are both new terms to me.  Stationed in Germany1965-1967, all we heard was German & Export VW's.  A few guys in my unit bought

new VW's in 1966.  One bought the Geman edition and the other bought the Export edition an took it home.  I drove a 1957 Porsche Speedster 1600N while there and the USAF shipped it home for me becuse it was sold new in Texas and imported to Germany by another Air Force guy.   Just before he left for Vietnam it was stolen and the insurance paid for it.   He was shot down in Vietnam, then the car was recovered and sold to a German Police Investigator who could not title it in Germany without paying the road tax 1957 to 1965.  My Iucky day was when I found it for sale.   I drove it 2 years in Europe and then 2 years in America.  Over the Alps, Austria, Paris and the Rhine River valley then the beaches of west Florida and the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.   

It joined a long list of cars I wish I had never sold.   20 years later I had fiberglass replica Speedster with a 1600 VW engine.   Just NOT THE SAME!

10 VW's later I still drive my 66 VW Export Beetle with radial tires, I call it my high performance German Sports Sedan here in the Smoky Mountains.

I looked on eBay under "Automobile coffee maker" and found dozens. They mostly work off the 12v cigarette lighter plug. The one in this thread is a nicer design, however. A coffee maker would make your car smell nice, but most people probably smoked a cig along with it.

Phil

car coffee maker.jpg

21 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Custom & Standard are both new terms to me.  

I doubt its 'new' to you.  Starting in 1971, they got different chassis, and in 1973, bodies.  The more upmarket of the two became the Super Beetle with McPherson strut front suspension (with increased front luggage space, and a curved windshield with a redesigned dash starting in 1973.  The Standard Beetle was still available.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I doubt its 'new' to you.  Starting in 1971, they got different chassis, and in 1973, bodies.  The more upmarket of the two became the Super Beetle with McPherson strut front suspension (with increased front luggage space, and a curved windshield with a redesigned dash starting in 1973.  The Standard Beetle was still available.

Craig

First two years of Super Beetle 71-72 (also called in Europe a 1302 ) use the flat windshield, Their bodies are new and extended, in 73 the curved one appears.

1974 is the last 6volt beetle in Europe, it's called the 1200"L" 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

I remember Beetles and Super Beetles but that is all. Then there was the type 3 and type 4 version with almost enough performance. I had a '70 type 2 Westphalia with dual port 1600 and RVEECO cooler. Still had drum brakes though.

9 minutes ago, padgett said:

I remember Beetles and Super Beetles but that is all. Then there was the type 3 and type 4 version with almost enough performance. I had a '70 type 2 Westphalia with dual port 1600 and RVEECO cooler. Still had drum brakes though.

Yes, you were too early. The type2 gets front disc in 1971 and if you waited another year you would get the type 4 engine, in fact 1972 is the only year the type 4 engine in the bus is dual carbureted, beginning in 73 they will be FI.

Does anybody remember the VW option (aftermarket) pulley, and rope with T handle? The pulley attached to the engine Pulley and you would be able to pull start the motor with the rope and T handle just like starting up an old lawn mover. My friend Rich had one and would do demonstrations of starting the car up this way on his 59 beetle at car shows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KdFwagen said:

Does anybody remember the VW option (aftermarket) pulley, and rope with T handle? The pulley attached to the engine Pulley and you would be able to pull start the motor with the rope and T handle just like starting up an old lawn mover. My friend Rich had one and would do demonstrations of starting the car up this way on his 59 beetle at car shows.

Nope, just the factory equipped which came in every early Beetle. busses, kubelwagen, schwimmwagen  too.

STARTING A '51 SPLIT WITH THE HAND CRANK - YouTubePin auf Palm Green Sand Green 1957 Standard VW Bus

26 minutes ago, KdFwagen said:

Non factory;

image.jpeg.cea332d89b9ffe7846eda421963252dc.jpegThis Is How To Jump Start A VW Beetle In 10 Seconds

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KdFwagen said:

Yes, I have seen that done at car shows here, of a Beetle owner performing a 'rope start' when crowds were around.

Craig