DMV Title Search... Should I have HIGH HOPES or LOW - 1966 Ford Truck

Wowabunga

I've never done a title search.  My truck has a Maryland title but I'm told prior owner bought the truck out of Pennsylvania.  My truck has "been around the block" a few times and has had multiple owners and multiple states so what can I expect from a Maryland vin search at the motor vehicles...?   Crazy to pay money to only have them say we can't help you unless it's history is Maryland tied.

The "Marti Search" folks only work with 1967 Fords and up so strike that option out.

Thanks for any advice.

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Because of privacy laws I doubt you will get much from a DMV

yes, that is an issue

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Many or most states don’t keep records back super far in any event.  Would love to be proven wrong.

Here in CT, what the DMV states that they don't have, and what they actually DO have, are 2 different things:

I had a cheap Jon Boat registered in my name here in CT in the 70s.  My Dad used it last in the 70s and I never renewed the registration since, nor did I still have an old registration.  My Son wanted to register it a few years ago. We filled out forms for a "Father-Son transfer of ownership" and all we could provide to DMV, was the old CT hull numbers on the bow.  Low and behold, DMV pulled up my last 70s-80s old registration somehow, and issued a new one to my Son.

That was shocking to me, as our DMV State Statutes stated back a couple of decades ago when I looked that up for a different reason then, that "The current Commissioner of DMV retains the authority to decide to not keep records beyond 3 years"

PS, AJ, Our State supposedly never had Titles until 1959, but at some point in the 60s, then they were mandatory.  Any older car that was then currently registered in CT at that exact  point, the current owner then received a "grandfathered" Title in the mail.  This makes a mess when we find a CT barn car/truck that never was registered during that grandfathered era, and therefor never did have a title issued.  Then it is tough to resell that vehicle to another State that either mandates a prior Title from a titled State, or requires a Current registration from a non-titled State. 

Out of all the prewar project cars that I have bought in the last 4 decades, none came with a title or registration, even "out of State" ones.  CT-DMV website claims to require a current registration for untitled cars that are 25years old or older, yet there is a CT-DMV form that bypasses that requirement. (that many CT people don't even know of).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, F&J said:

yes, that is an issue

Here in CT, what the DMV states that they don't have, and what they actually DO have, are 2 different things:

I had a cheap Jon Boat registered in my name here in CT in the 70s.  My Dad used it last in the 70s and I never renewed the registration since, nor did I still have an old registration.  My Son wanted to register it a few years ago. We filled out forms for a "Father-Son transfer of ownership" and all we could provide to DMV, was the old CT hull numbers on the bow.  Low and behold, DMV pulled up my last 70s-80s old registration somehow, and issued a new one to my Son.

That was shocking to me, as our DMV State Statutes stated back a couple of decades ago when I looked that up for a different reason then, that "The current Commissioner of DMV retains the authority to decide to not keep records beyond 3 years"

PS, AJ, Our State supposedly never had Titles until 1959, but at some point in the 60s, then they were mandatory.  Any older car that was then currently registered in CT at that exact  point, the current owner then received a "grandfathered" Title in the mail.  This makes a mess when we find a CT barn car/truck that never was registered during that grandfathered era, and therefor never did have a title issued.  Then it is tough to resell that vehicle to another State that either mandates a prior Title from a titled State, or requires a Current registration from a non-titled State. 

Out of all the prewar project cars that I have bought in the last 4 decades, none came with a title or registration, even "out of State" ones.  CT-DMV website claims to require a current registration for untitled cars that are 25years old or older, yet there is a CT-DMV form that bypasses that requirement. (that many CT people don't even know of).

Frank,   they were able to give you old info on something you own.   I'm impressed they were able to go back that far.    However, if you are trying to do a previous owner search,  I'm fairly sure that you will get nowhere just about everywhere.

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

What's the purpose of the search?

Would like to present a "rumor of ownership" pertaining to my big vintage 1966 Ford C-750 hauler so that once and for all we can confirm the rumor or put it to rest. The rumor is Richard Petty used this truck back in the day. When I bought this rig from the Hagerstown Speedway in 2004 the owner told me that there is "Petty blue paint" under the red paint. This is fact as there is light blue paint under the fenders, on the frame in many places and the sleeper cab has light blue paint under the red paint ( but zero blue on the wedge and cabinets ). Is there really a snow balls chance in hell that Richard Petty has ever been associated with this car hauler. My research says no. My 15 years of research has left me empty handed and I still have no idea who owned this large truck from 1966 to 1975, nor do I have any photos of the truck in service during that time. It's a big truck LOL and no one seems to know anything...! Help

1-carlise_stopped copy.JPG

PettyBlue_UnderFender.jpg

FordC700rear.jpg

• Like 2

Cool truck and cool story. Im in MD, good luck with the DMV.  Right now I am pretty sure they are still closed for that kind of stuff but if your in the western part of the state you may have better luck. Privacy laws will most likely take over though. Depends also a lot on the clerk you get, if they are willing to help or not. Ive never researched here but have been under the impression that once its registered in MD thats it. If it is currently registered in another state they may not be able to help.

• Like 1

Send or phone Richard Petty Motorsports your query and history.  Petty may answer you himself.  Who knows.

Hi, Grog...our posts collided

• Like 2

I cant say that I have ever et Richard Petty, But I have seen him a couple of times.

Seems like a nice guy.

As for the truck, It would be fun to know but is still just an old truck. 

Any added value might be with the Petty museum or the likes.

• Like 1

I just pulled this off the web with a search for Petty trucks:

Pin by Eric Witzke on Sports - Racing stuff | Old race cars, Nascar cars,  Trucks

In other years with the Dodge there was this

96 NASCAR/raseing haulers ideas | nascar, racing, nascar cars

Not to say that he didn't use different haulers, but it looks like his preference in that era was for an open trailer and a box truck.   That being said - you have one heck of a cool ramp truck!

• Like 2

I've made a few friends this week and Aaron just sent me this clipping of Petty using a Ford wedge back hauler... just when everyone said it never happened here's proof.   

I'm stirring up a lot of memories on the Petty pages and the Bobby Allison pages on social media.  Here's to hoping someone out there will remember this truck and who was using it.   There was a truck fabrication company in Charlotte called Baker Truck Body and I'm chasing after some info from one of the fabricators.  My vin decode says my truck was from the Charlotte dealer region. 

PettyFordHauler_ArronHartley.jpg

• Like 4

That is pretty cool.   Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Don't get mad at people questioning celebrity attribution for collector cars.   I'm guessing that about 95% of the "My car was owned by such and such" is BS,  which is why people naturally question everything.

I keep searching - the truth is I was really hoping to find a pit picture with Petty using the truck but, I found this picture.  It doesn't explain the blue paint but if it is the same truck if it is an ex Woods Brothers that just as cool

Wood Brothers Racing - the original hauler back in the 70s | Old race cars,  Race cars, Nascar cars

• Like 2

I aquired a 1998 Buick Riviera a few years ago from the original owner. He could not find the original title but went to the New York State DMV for a replacment. The car was not driven for over 10 years and was no longer in the system so they had to start from scrach. Good thing we were not in any hurry on it with covid and all. We have just recently been notified that the replacment title is on it's way. We were told that after 10 years, in this state at least, anything not registerd is dropped from the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3macboys said:

I keep searching - the truth is I was really hoping to find a pit picture with Petty using the truck but, I found this picture.  It doesn't explain the blue paint but if it is the same truck if it is an ex Woods Brothers that just as cool

Wood Brothers Racing - the original hauler back in the 70s | Old race cars,  Race cars, Nascar cars

Could well be the same truck as that's early-70s #21. Petty had been enticed back to MoPar (ok, 71 was the year Ford pulled the rug out from under factory support) so wouldn't have done to be seen using a Ford hauler.

Petty and Wood families are longtime friends so the truck could easily have found its way from Level Cross to Stuart and been repainted in Wood Bros livery.

For those who have never seen the original Wood Brothers shop above, it's built on pilings right on the side of the mountain on US 58. Rickety-looking thing... like all the old-school racers before big-money sponsorship took over, they worked with what they had.

• Like 1

Maurice Petty's daughter runs an all Petty group on Facebook. She's dealing with some stuff right now so don't take it personally if she's slow to respond but that would be the place to ask. Bleeding Petty Blue is the name if I recall correctly. She literally grew up at the shop, and would likely know on sight. 

• Like 1

Hi, i have a similar problem where i bought a 1950 International L122 pick up that does not a VIN number and no title. I do have an original bill of sale from the last two owners. Massachusetts DMV website is not fun to navigate. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you tried to title using the serial no.(predecessor of VIN) or the engine number?  This is not likely to be done without an in-person visit to DMV.  They will want to be sure you pay sales tax on the purchase price, and that the purchase price reflects reasonable market value

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 7:38 AM, alsancle said:

That is pretty cool.   Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Don't get mad at people questioning celebrity attribution for collector cars.   I'm guessing that about 95% of the "My car was owned by such and such" is BS,  which is why people naturally question everything.

In the 1980's Bobby Allison used the red truck when he was sponsored by the Plessingers.  Here's his car in 1983 on the truck at a large race track, anyone know which track this is from ?

I'm still missing photos from 1966 to 1982... a huge black hole.  I'm pretty sure I've eliminated Richard Petty, because Petty only had a Ford for one year and I now have two photos of 2 different Ford haulers he used.  Gonna call Ford next... have no idea who to call..???

ba1983oct-vi*.jpg

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Have you tried to title using the serial no.(predecessor of VIN) or the engine number?  This is not likely to be done without an in-person visit to DMV.  They will want to be sure you pay sales tax on the purchase price, and that the purchase price reflects reasonable market value

I've learned from one of the racers Tom Peck who also used the truck in the 1980s... Tom said that truck was always breaking down with blown engines.  My guess is the engine is not the original, but if it leads me to my answer I'll try.   I need to find out who at Ford I need to call about original vin assignment.

If NASCAR has anything you'd probably have to fork over to even look at it. That outfit is seriously into getting into your wallet...

Anymore if a product announces itself as "official whatever of NASCAR" I look at something else. That product is paying NASCAR a royalty for that "endorsement" which means, if you buy it, you are also subsidizing NASCAR.

No longer about racing as much as branding, licensing, and marketing. Any college marketing graduate will tell you that's where the money is!🤑

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

They have an extensive archive but it's not available to the public. No, you can't pay to see it either. I've tried. The Hall of Fame/Museum is in downtown Charlotte. 

Billy what about the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame ( in Mooresville 20 mi north of Charlotte ).  Their websites and social media seem friendly to the general public.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, mike6024 said:

I posted a pic of your truck on the "Bobby Allison Facebook Page." And no-one has taken notice of it so far.

https://www.facebook.com/bobbyallison12

I called Bobby Allison on the phone and talked to him and his wife for about 10 minutes.  I asked him if he had any pics of his haulers and he laughed saying: "We didn't take pic of the trucks, it was about the cars, it was all about the cars...!"

Asked him who he bought the truck from and he couldn't remember ( crashed affected memory so I pushed no further ).  Turns out he may have never owned, just used it.  Frank Plessinger who owned the Hagerstown Speedway was a race promoter and he sponsored Bobby Allison.  From 1975 to 2004 the Hagerstown Speedway owned the big truck.  The photo of Allison in 1983 was Allison's car, but the truck belonged to Plessinger.  Allison's wife said they had Bobby's name on the truck, and it's red and white and with gold trim.  That's the same colors as it sits today.

I'm going to contact several NASCAR museums.    I really need to find out who at FORD I should be contacting...???

• Like 1