1950 Pontiac streamliner 8cyl flat

Pauline

I just bought this car yesterday. It starts, but I need to replace braking system and install gas tank. I started it with electric fuel pump and a gas can. Don't laugh as it worked.

Going to need floorboard but I can drive without.

2,200.00 and I feel like I got a great deal.20210317_155001.thumb.jpg.8aaa4ac72d2b927d9c6b93ac130bb0c5.jpg

20210317_155019.jpg

20210317_155032.jpg

Edited by Pauline (see edit history)
  • Like 4

It reminds me of many of the cars I saw in Cuba some 8 years ago... still strong and sturdy, with many miles left to go!   Thanks for sharing the photos.  Good luck with it!

• Thanks 1

Cool old Pontiac. You will have lots of fun with it.

I remember the Cuban cars.

They all look familiar with a tad of unfamiliar.

They have all been being nursed along for many years. Often a different door or hood or grill, or bumpers. Just enough to make one look twice.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on your new toy....

If you are keeping stock brakes, I have everything for you!!!!

All Brand New , fresh stock....

Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinders, Brake Shoes, Brake Hoses, Wheel Bearings & Seals, Emergency Brake Cables, and BRAKE DRUMS....

Front & Rear....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

Congratulations on your new toy....

If you are keeping stock brakes, I have everything for you!!!!

All Brand New , fresh stock....

Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinders, Brake Shoes, Brake Hoses, Wheel Bearings & Seals, Emergency Brake Cables, and BRAKE DRUMS....

Front & Rear....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York...

Craig is a good guy, I was buying parts from his family store back in the late 1960s! always pleased with all the parts.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Try to lose those horrible wheels as soon as you can

I will at some point. I barely noticed yesterday after getting her here that there are missing and or broken lugnuts. I am not impressed with all the rust. For now to drive her on road in my 1 horse town, I need to fix brakes, tires, and reinstall gas tank. 

It probably has reverse threads on the lug nuts and studs on the left side of the car. Check and be careful as reverse threaded studs are no longer made. It has become a bit of a problem unless you want to change them all to normal thread. Reverse threaded lug nuts are still fairly easy to get.

For what it's worth, Chrysler used reverse threaded studs on the left side of the car clear into the 70s, and there are several kinds depending on which brakes were used. With careful measurement of the length, depth of the shoulder, etc. it may be possible to determine if one of the Chrysler versions is close. If so, once you have determined a Mopar (Chrysler) part number, you may find it from a NOS/NORS Mopar parts dealer, or even on Ebay. That tactic worked to replace a missing stud on my 1936 Pontiac after all other avenues failed. It wasn't an exact match, but close enough.

Some possible sources of early Pontiac parts are @Kornkurt here on the forum, and California Pontiac Restoration http://pontiacparts.net .

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 10:35 AM, rocketraider said:

This car shares a lot body-wise with same year Chevrolet which might make things a little easier. The taillights are probably available reproduction as 50 Pontiac were a favorite for 50s-style hotrods. Just elegant.

This a stick or a HydraMatic?

HydraMatic

Congratulations and have some fun with your 1950 Pontiac.  I signed up so I could comment for your post.  My daddy bought a brand new leftover 1950 Pontiac 4 door straight 8 after the 1951s came out.  I and my older sister learned to drive in that car, me in 1955 at age 14 with a learner's permit.  The hydramatic trans would shift very nicely when in adjustment but when out it had a very rough shift into 3rd and my dad would leave it that way; would not pay to get it adjusted.  A constant 70 mph was easy but one time when I was a couple of years older and was driving with my dad in the passenger seat and an old lady was in the back who my dad apparently did not care to visit with, I creeped it up to 90 indicated and stayed there for many miles on a two lane highway while my dad said nothing about slowing down.  (no seat belts then)

When I and my sister were old enough to drive alone she was agressive with driving but I beat the crap out of it, our only car.  Gas pedal to the floor was the way I drove up to the speed limit.  Neutral drops to make the tires squeal were great fun!  At 67k miles while my dad was driving, the engine developed a terrible rattle; turned out to be a cracked piston.  My dad did not blame us kids as it happened while he was driving but I am certain that we kids were responsible.  A cylinder was badly scored so my dad got a rebuilt engine.  Somewhere along the way to the scrapyard at 107k miles it got a new Hydramatic trans.  With care the car would have lasted much longer for certain.

The engine was difficult to start in winter when the car was no longer new and in about 1959 after my dad had bought a 1958 Pontiac, he was trying to give me a push start in the 1950 and while unintended, the trans was in reverse, the park position for that year trans and something broke inside the trans when he pushed me so there was no more reverse.  I drove it for some time like that but had to plan parking; could only go forward.

107 HP did the job well!  The car never failed us while out on the road except when a radiator hose blew.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, Pauline said:

I just bought this car yesterday. It starts, but I need to replace braking system and install gas tank. I started it with electric fuel pump and a gas can. Don't laugh as it worked.

Going to need floorboard but I can drive without.

2,200.00 and I feel like I got a great deal.20210317_155001.thumb.jpg.8aaa4ac72d2b927d9c6b93ac130bb0c5.jpg

20210317_155019.jpg

20210317_155032.jpg

Congratulations on your 50 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Sedan.

FYI a Streamliner is the Fastback body;

Pontiac 1950

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 11:35 AM, rocketraider said:

This car shares a lot body-wise with same year Chevrolet which might make things a little easier. The taillights are probably available reproduction as 50 Pontiac were a favorite for 50s-style hotrods. Just elegant.

This a stick or a HydraMatic?

I GOT THE HYDRAMATIC ON A 50 SILVERSTREAK (TORPEDO) BEEN UNDER A TREE SINCE THE 80's. IT's COMPLETE BUT STARTING TO RUST OUT.