[Rescheduled, See Thread] Is Anybody Else Thinking About The 2021 ROA Convention?

J3Studio

Is anybody else thinking about the 2021 ROA Convention in June? My wife just pointed out that she probably should request those days sooner than later if we are able to attend …

Edited by J3Studio
New information (see edit history)

I have paid for my attendance at the 2021 ROA meet at Branson. Each state seems to have established their criteria. Some states give points for not wearing a mask. Other states conform to CDC guidelines. I’m in hopes the vaccine roll out, for those who opt to take the vaccine, is close to being completed for our age group by meet time.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

I’d say keep your fingers crossed.  Linda and I have had both vaccinations but we still mask up, stay home unless it’s a necessity, and maintain social distancing.  What you cannot know is what the guy next to you has done.

One of our biggest concerns should be how the host hotel handles its responsibilities as prescribed by the state.  Branson depends on tourism so who knows what the city fathers will do to keep tourism up.

Here’s the latest that I could find.

https://www.bransonchamber.com/wp-content/uploads/2020-RECAP_-4p-Update.pdf

https://www.huschblackwell.com/missouri-state-by-state-covid-19-guidance

Even if the venue gives the all clear to host the meet, Ed's post reveals the fact there are many people who are still afraid even if they got the vaccine and will not attend gatherings like a meet even though it can be done safely. Probably what happened with BCA especially trying to have 2 meets splitting a small number of interested registrants there were. Just not enough interest. A national meet requires a minimum level of attendance in order to make it financially feasible and sometimes that's tough even without a pandemic. I hope ROA gets enough registrants to support the meet but won't be surprised if they do not.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Even if the venue gives the all clear to host the meet, Ed's post reveals the fact there are many people who are still afraid even if they got the vaccine and will not attend gatherings like a meet even though it can be done safely. Probably what happened with BCA especially trying to have 2 meets splitting a small number of interested registrants there were. Just not enough interest. A national meet requires a minimum level of attendance in order to make it financially feasible and sometimes that's tough even without a pandemic. I hope ROA gets enough registrants to support the meet but won't be surprised if they do not.   

Everything @JZRIV says is true. Based on experience with multiple different automotive organizations, one of the most impressive things about the ROA is how inexpensively Roy and others manage to deliver a great experience. 2021 Convention costs (no travel/hotel included) for us would likely be about $195—for another organization, costs for about the same services provided would be about $610 this year. That's a big difference—and I hope it means there's a little more wiggle room on the numbers needed.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

On 3/10/2021 at 7:15 AM, JZRIV said:

people who are still afraid even if they got the vaccine and will not attend gatherings like a meet even though it can be done safely.

It would seem to me if you have the vaccine shots would it not mean you are as safe as you are ever going to be? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

It would seem to me if you have the vaccine shots would it not mean you are as safe as you are ever going to be? 

Everybody is being CONDITIONED to never feel "safe" again.

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

No, they're still recommending masking, distancing, etc. Not all will be vaxxed by then, even with the J&J dose and the increased availability. Also, the new virus variants may be more resistant. Plus, confined spaces like ballrooms are a concern and I doubt the hotel will have the capability to install the upgraded air filtration in a cost effective manner. Even some healthcare workers are refusing to get vaxxed, which is a real problem so I'm sure some attendees will refuse it.

If it's on, I'll probably go but I'm it really depends on the infection rate in the weeks prior. Perhaps there's a tent on site that could be used. If it has no side walls that might be an alternative.

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Don’t forget the check.😃😃

Listen if you come please bring that Australian cattle dog I met at the Kansas meet. I’d like to say hello to the dog.

Turbinator

Bob, I will be bringing the dog with me. I won't be bringing my wife Cindy because she passed away of a sudden

heart attack right before Christmas......it's just me and my dog Nikki now.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, I will be bringing the dog with me. I won't be bringing my wife Cindy because she passed away of a sudden

Seafoam, very sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.

Thanks Mark and Ed......it indeed has been a difficult 2 1/2 months. Cindy was a wonderful companion who

liked the old car hobby as much I do. She grew up in Detroit, and when she was in high school, she wouldn't go out

with any guy who didn't have a nice car. If you looked like Burt Reynolds and you drove a Volkswagen bug you didn't stand a chance with her. On first dates I always drove one of my old musclecars to pick the girl up.....

I knew if she asked me why am I driving that old GTO and not a new BMW, I was wasting my time! My first date with

her was on New Years eve and I drove my 69 GTO convertible that night even though it was raining (last time the car was wet) It turned out that she wanted that very car for her first car but her folks would not agree to it and bought her a new Mustang instead. She flipped out over my car and we were together ever since. One instance that stands out was in 1997 when we were at

the Pontiac Oakland Club national convention in Denver, and I was chatting with John Delorean

who had come there to give a seminar. John had his back turned to Cindy when she approached, and she didn't know who I was talking to......when she realized it was    John Delorean she almost fainted! She had a crush on John Delorean when she was in Jr. High. 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I will be bringing the dog with me. I won't be bringing my wife Cindy because she passed away of a sudden heart attack right before Christmas … it's just me and my dog Nikki now.

Ugh. Our best. I can't imagine.

So sorry to hear this Winston. I won't say I know what you are going through as I've not had the fortune to be in your situation. I know how I feel when someone I've know for many tears & years is not here any longer.

Prayers to you & ALL involved. We are now left with ALL the good memories.

Tom T.

8 hours ago, jframe said:

Everybody is being CONDITIONED to never feel "safe" again.

I feel safe as I ever did. I get my second shot March 23rd. My wife told me if I don’t pass for worms and rabies she’s going to leave me at the Vets to be put to sleep.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Winston, I’m sorry to learn of Cindy’s passing. I remember meeting her in Kansas and I found her to be pleasant. Please accept my condolences.

Bob Burnopp

6 hours ago, Golden73 said:

No, they're still recommending masking, distancing, etc. Not all will be vaxxed by then, even with the J&J dose and the increased availability. Also, the new virus variants may be more resistant. Plus, confined spaces like ballrooms are a concern and I doubt the hotel will have the capability to install the upgraded air filtration in a cost effective manner. Even some healthcare workers are refusing to get vaxxed, which is a real problem so I'm sure some attendees will refuse it.

If it's on, I'll probably go but I'm it really depends on the infection rate in the weeks prior. Perhaps there's a tent on site that could be used. If it has no side walls that might be an alternative.

Sir, you have you good points. If they have it I’ll go. I’ve had my two shots.

I heard today the US loses a million people a year to AIDS. I’m not an AIDS candidate, but a million people is a lot.

Turbinator

Bob,

I think you’d better check your hearing.😎This is from the HIV.gov website.

Deaths

“In 2018, there were 15,820 deaths among adults and adolescents with diagnosed HIV in the United States and 6 dependent areas. These deaths may be due to any cause.”

In the accompanying graph, it showed that 68% of HIV cases were among gays and bisexuals, a 7% were among drug users.  The other 25% were among heterosexuals who had other than monogamous relationships.  

These were the latest stats that I could find.  The COVID-19 virus has taken over the medical watch.

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

think you’d better check your hearing.😎This is from the HIV.gov website.

Ed, you have a good point regarding my hearing. Having my hearing checked could help.

My source was in error regarding deaths from AIDS in America. THE GLOBAL death rate from AIDS is around 700,000 annually. The death rate from AIS in the US is 15,600 plus as you you showed

Greetings,

Due to the uncertainties with the pandemic and for the health of our members, we are rescheduling the international ROA meet set for June in Branson. Our meets are more than a gathering of people and cars in an open parking lot. Our typical meet consists of four days of indoor gatherings with vendors, events, snacks, drinks all day and hor d’oeuvres in the evening, ending with an award banquet. Unfortunately, none of that is possible at this time and may not be in June. We were contracted for a set number of sleeping rooms and food expenses and if restriction governing social distancing and masks continues, we would not be able to meet our contractual agreements. Any payments made in advance for this year will be refunded. 

Since Branson is a popular city centrally located with many attractions, we will reschedule for next June instead of going to Oregon as originally planned. We were limited to the selection of dates. To avoid a conflict with BCA we will meet a few weeks earlier from Wednesday June 8 to Saturday June 11, 2022. Other than a change of dates there will be no change to the hotel, prices or schedule.

If you know that you will attend in 2022, you can request to have your registration forwarded. If so, we need to know by email or phone by March 20th, or refunds will be sent.

Don’t forget to cancel with the hotel at 417-335-4700.

In the meantime, stay well and we’ll see you in 2022.

Ray Knott

ray@rivowner.org

• Thanks 3

The shot is not full proof and they are still unclear if the vaccine will protect the new morphings of the virus.  So keeping large gathering curtailed and continuing the vaccination process is the only way it's going to put a halt to it

1 hour ago, Ray_Knott said:

Greetings,

Due to the uncertainties with the pandemic and for the health of our members, we are rescheduling the international ROA meet set for June in Branson. Our meets are more than a gathering of people and cars in an open parking lot. Our typical meet consists of four days of indoor gatherings with vendors, events, snacks, drinks all day and hor d’oeuvres in the evening, ending with an award banquet. Unfortunately, none of that is possible at this time and may not be in June. We were contracted for a set number of sleeping rooms and food expenses and if restriction governing social distancing and masks continues, we would not be able to meet our contractual agreements. Any payments made in advance for this year will be refunded. 

Since Branson is a popular city centrally located with many attractions, we will reschedule for next June instead of going to Oregon as originally planned. We were limited to the selection of dates. To avoid a conflict with BCA we will meet a few weeks earlier from Wednesday June 8 to Saturday June 11, 2022. Other than a change of dates there will be no change to the hotel, prices or schedule.

If you know that you will attend in 2022, you can request to have your registration forwarded. If so, we need to know by email or phone by March 20th, or refunds will be sent.

Don’t forget to cancel with the hotel at 417-335-4700.

In the meantime, stay well and we’ll see you in 2022.

Ray Knott

ray@rivowner.org

Thanks for all you do Ray,

Tom

• Like 1

• J3Studio changed the title to [Rescheduled, See Thread] Is Anybody Else Thinking About The 2021 ROA Convention?

I was looking forward to Branson but fully understand it being canceled. No one knows for certain where we will be with covid in 3 months. 

Next year we should be closer to normal and have a better turnout. 

Get your shots and stay safe.