1934 red ford cabriolet from mass.

samsonized

2 hours ago, samsonized said:

i just purchased the car pictured from a couple in shrewbury.  they purchased it in 2016 ftrrom the estate of the person who restored it who was supposed to be called old joe  but not sure on name.  trying to get some info on the car   

They people you bought it from do not know who they bought it from????

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alsancle said:

They people you bought it from do not know who they bought it from????

Been there...done that.  I asked the seller I bought the 1920 Cole touring car through to ask the owner for any history on the car.  The owner told him he didn't know who he bought it from and didn't have any history on it.  I also asked what shops had done work on it and got the same answer.  No doubt the owner was just being an axxhole.  Sad to say there's people like that out there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, George Cole said:

The owner told him he didn't know who he bought it from and didn't have any history on it.  I also asked what shops had done work on it and got the same answer.

3 hours ago, samsonized said:

they purchased it in 2016 from the estate of the person who restored it who was supposed to be called old joe  but not sure on name.

Maybe it is not a bad thing them not knowing or willing to share.  Sometimes the information passed on is partially or totally incorrect. 

Perhaps you are better off with new raw data.

I have memories of my Pontiac since 1945 and memories of my Grandparents, Brother and Cousin's reminisces about it's first 15 years in the family.  I also have 60 years worth of literature, books and letters from GM Canada and there more than a few discrepancies, mostly from the different GM Zone offices.  

I am not particularly a Ford fan but  your Cabriolet is Beautiful.   I wish you  good luck with your new ride.  If you have half as much fun with it as I have had with my Pontiac in the last 60 years you will have a great time.

5 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Join the Early Ford V8 club and drive the 34 Ford into one of their events near where the car was from.  You will get all kinds of stories, it is a memorable car.

That's true if "Old Joe" was an active member locally.  However, I find many nice cars that the

owner enjoyed the restoration alone and never shows them because someone might tell them

they did something wrong.   I recommend the Early Ford V8 Club of America's book called The

1933-34 Ford Book,  Restoration Manual.   It's terrific way to learn all about my favorite Make &

Model.   You'll learn more than Old Joe could tell you, except for this particular car.

Enjoy it like we have since 1972, 1934 Ford are awesome cars.

definitely the same car  the couple of bought it from have been driving it in mass so the sticker is a different color   very cool  so now it looks like the car was restored sometime before 1999   great lead  now i have to figure out who owned it and some more history    

9 hours ago, samsonized said:

definitely the same car  the couple of bought it from have been driving it in mass so the sticker is a different color   very cool  so now it looks like the car was restored sometime before 1999   great lead  now i have to figure out who owned it and some more history    

What was the name of the family in Shrewsbury you bought it from?

The red inspection sticker was from the old IM240 safety and emission testing done during the OBD 1 and dyno testing. In Massachusetts all cars regardless of year must have a yearly safety inspection. Since I was a early beta test station and “old car guy” I seemed to do most of the very expensive cars and strange vehicles that were in Western Mass. Some of the stories I could tell are insane. People who didn’t want anyone driving their new Ferrari at all, never mind driving it on the dyno. My favorite was an inspection on a 1897 Haynes Apperson.........the computer would not take the 18 digits for the YOM. I called Boston, spoke to the head honcho at the RMV. Nice guy who was very helpful. Since the car didn’t have a windshield, and no place to install plates...........we worked out everything. I placed the sticker under hood on a piece of plexiglass, and they faxed over a special road permit for Massachuetts that didn’t require the car to display any plates. They actually did ask us to attach them at first........I explained they would have to drill into the car, and that wasn’t going to happen. It all worked out in the end. They asked for a photo to hang on the wall in Boston main office. The final letter gave approval for no lights, no windshield, no plates, no seat belts, no reflectors, and a whole bunch of other stuff. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Good luck with the search. I know some guys have a knack for detective work hunting down previous owners. I found a stack of business cards in the car I am restoring which led me to believe it was the PO. He was an insurance agent, so I contacted the office through their website. I got a short to the point reply back 'he doesnt work here anymore, I dont know him'. OK then, maybe ask around the office if anyone had ever heard of him? I dont know if they thought I was a scammer or what. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graham Man said:

drive the 34 Ford into one of their events near where the car was from.  You will get all kinds of stories, it is a memorable car.

That doesn't always work. I have no pre-1970 history on my '25 Buick. I took it to a car show, the site of which was about a 1/4 mile from where the car had been stored. A number of people remembered the former owner, but none of them even knew he had the car. Seems he had it restored, then squirreled it away in his basement.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1

edinmass, that is a great story about the 1897 Haynes Apperson. I can't imagine trying to work out what you went thru, with the New York State DMV. You have no idea how incompetent they are. Because of the pandemic, I tried for months to get an appointment to get my drivers license renewed. Finally, January 18th popped up as an open date, so I made the appointment. I even told my wife that I thought the DMV would be closed on MLK day, the 18th. Two weeks before the 18th I received an E-Mail from the DMV stating that the 18th is MLK day, so the DMV will be closed. They did give me paperwork however, stating that I could be admitted to my DMV any day during the week before or the week of the 18th. So I went on Thursday the 14th. When I went to the door with my paperwork the security guard refused to let me in, stating that I was too early and to come back on the 18th. Even when I showed him the E-Mail from the DMV it took several minutes for me to convince him that every thing was on the up and up and he finally let me in. On the 15th, I received an E-Mail from the NYS DMV reminding me of my appointment on the 18th, MLK day, the day they were closed. You just can't make stuff like this up.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Sounds like a great road trip.  Drove my 1933 Graham downtown Chicago, it was awesome.

Looking out my windshield...  I think it was 2009

image.png.41d95df9ad857fa96be6661004368ba6.png

Great pictures! If it weren't for one or two people in blue jeans, I'd think these were high quality colorized photos from the era. Thanks.

I love samsonized's beautiful new '34 as well. Congratulations!