Vanity Plate Suggestions

MikeJS

Good day.

For my birthday last fall, I was gifted the "authorization to proceed" with acquiring vanity plates for my '64, something I've kinda always wanted but for some reason never got around to getting myself. Now with 'gift' in hand, I figured I'd try for a simple plate;  64 RIV 

The process here in Alberta is that we submit one request. The agency I go to (AMA) can search to see if it's available, if so pay for 'em, they submit the formal request to the Government, and the Gov't either mails you the plates or reject the request. A few days later I got a letter in the mail saying the request was denied, no reason given, just denied. I can now return to the agency and request another option but I only have 30 days from the original application or request a refund. 

To complicate matters, under recent new policy, the letters I and O are no longer used on plates, apparently they are replaced with the numbers 1 and 0. They obviously look the same so they don't want someone using the letter I and someone else using a number 1 for a same/similar plate, or that may have used the letters in the past when available but would be represented by numbers now under new policy.

Anyway, back to AMA, I tried reversing it  RIV 64 , a few days later I got a call, once again rejected. We then tried; THE RIV (that's how I've always referred to the car), and well you guessed it, rejected. Feeling pretty rejected myself and running out of time on my application , since we can have up to seven characters, one last ditch effort:  RIV1964 Well needless to say no luck there, (or reversed 1964RIV) but they did refund my money, less the application fee, of course.

Since I've calmed down a little by now, I would like to give it another try, and would love to hear/see any vanity plates for their Riv that members may have (or wished they had) and wouldn't mind if someone else in a land far far away uses their creative idea.

Seriously, any and or all suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Later,

• Like 1

Just a few suggestions but the rules without enough information seems to work against you, I looked at the AMA website and they talked about max 5 for a veteran, is that a veteran car registration or?

425BR64 or 64BR425 

BR64 or 64BR

BRIV64 

42564 or 64425

LUCKY64

BLUE64

SMILE64

LOVE64

LOVEGAS (sorry)

Good luck.

• Like 1

Good day,

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, much appreciated. Some great ideas here and I do like a couple in particular that have been posted in this thread that I'll likely give it the ol' college try next week. Thanks.

For clarity, from what I gather the Government of Alberta system appears pretty archaic. I've found no links on line to search directly so we have to use a private registry. I use AMA (Alberta Motor Association) but they simply appear to have backdoor access to do a preliminary search, and so far pretty well everything I've requested shows up as available, but at the end of the day, it's the government paper-pushers that have the final say on the request.

From what I gather there are four different plate categories - basic registration, personalized (vanity), antique, and veterans. The veterans plates are for Albertans that have served in armed forces or the RCMP, so I don't qualify. The antique plates (25 years or older) have restrictions on the vehicle's use, primarily limited to club events, shows, parades, etc. Although far from a daily driver, I still want the option to drive whenever wherever.

Anyway, with some great suggestions in hand, I'll certainly keep you posted as to what I chose and what the gov't allowed...

Thanks again, take care, stay safe.

Later,

On 1/17/2021 at 9:58 AM, MikeJS said:

The antique plates (25 years or older) have restrictions on the vehicle's use, primarily limited to club events, shows, parades, etc. Although far from a daily driver, I still want the option to drive whenever wherever.

Mike, I am in a similar situation. My Riv's current 'regular' plates expired in 1985. I can renew as a 'regular registration' with annual fees.

However, opting for a  continuous Alberta 'Historic' License plate is a no-brainer, a 1-time fee. But, I was unaware of any restrictions. This, along with distinctive character format makes the Historic plates even less desirable. I don't want to stand out.

As far as I'm concerned, the restriction is our winter (and COVID-19). So, for the 6.5 months of non-winter, I intend on driving my ride as much as I please. To eastern Canada, Branson MO, anywhere!

Buying road insurance in the spring will then allow me to license my ride. I will try registering my 1985 plates as 'Historic'. However, the inability to register a 'personal' license plate as 'Historic' has me doubtful on using my old plates with their rigid rules.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, CarNicopia said:

LXIV RIV (64 in roman numerals)

MCMLXIV (1964 in roman numerals)

Good day.

Thanks for the great suggestions, as soon as I read em, it was like "doh, why didn't I think of that. " When my kids were young, they/we all learned how to decipher Roman numerals by the dates of the old Disney classics such as Dumbo, Snow White, Jungle Book (<-one of the best soundtracks ever) etc. that they/we watched endlessly. Since The Riv is part of the family, it was a no brainer. Unfortunately first choice MCMLXIV wasn't available so went with Plan B but dropped the RIV.

In spite of the province no longer using the letter I, (and no longer using month/year stickers), I'm glad to finally get my birthday present resolved. My daughter called it a 'smart plate'...🤔

Thanks again, take care.

Later,

LXIV.jpeg

• Like 3

I picked up "RIV4747" for mine, I was surprised I was able to get that plate in CA. I have a pair of "Irv White Buick" license plate frames, and a keychain too, from about 64 with the tiki (or comic book) font on them. Got extremely lucky finding those.

3 hours ago, jsgun said:

I like that you kept the used car lot tag on the trunk too

Jenner Motors was a downtown Edmonton Pontiac Buick dealer and I think Mike's Riv is a local car. Dealers were either Pontiac/Buick or Chev/Olds in Canada. Cadillacs were usually Chev/Olds and GMC on Pontiac/Buick enterprises.

If Mike's Riv was indeed sold new in Edmonton, it counters my belief that Riviera's were not sold outside the US until 1965 models.

I considered myself to be a 'car kid' when pedaling my 2-wheeler. I knew every 50's - 60's GM model, thought the Ford 289 was a type-o, knew only 283s. Then at 20 years of age, stumbled upon a '65 Riviera in upstate NY. This is a Buick? I was hooked!

Anyway, practically all 1st generation Rivieras in Canada were snuck out of the US at night!

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

Jenner Motors was a downtown Edmonton Pontiac Buick dealer and I think Mike's Riv is a local car. Dealers were either Pontiac/Buick or Chev/Olds in Canada. Cadillacs were usually Chev/Olds and GMC on Pontiac/Buick enterprises.

If Mike's Riv was indeed sold new in Edmonton, it counters my belief that Riviera's were not sold outside the US until 1965 models.

I considered myself to be a 'car kid' when pedaling my 2-wheeler. I knew every 50's - 60's GM model, thought the Ford 289 was a type-o, knew only 283s. Then at 20 years of age, stumbled upon a '65 Riviera in upstate NY. This is a Buick? I was hooked!

Anyway, practically all 1st generation Rivieras in Canada were snuck out of the US at night!

Hi John,

I don't know about Canada but the '63 Riviera that I had in Sweden between '76 and '82 was sold new in Sweden. I seem to recall that they were assembled in Europe (the Netherlands?) and had a lower compression 401 than the one sold in the USA. So yes, they were sold new outside of the USA.

The '63 that I have now in Australia was sold originally in Portland but that is another story.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jsgun said:

I see you got a tiger in your tank. I like that you kept the used car lot tag on the trunk too

I have a brand new, never been on a car, genuine Esso Tiger Tail here for anyone who wants one. Just pay postage to you.  PM me if you want it.

:D

• Like 1

For my '63 Riv, I am considering PNDLR.  It is a '63-only letter sequence that most will not understand the meaning of. Kind of an inside joke.

I have already checked and this plate is available in GA (we moved to the north-GA mountains from TX last year).

:D

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

NY has an eight character limit on personalized license plates.  NC, apparently has a much more generous limit...

_MAS4236.thumb.jpg.ed23f555e8a09a8d76b77

It's a fake vanity plate, not a NC issued plate! 😂

As long as I have the state issued plate in the car I am good to go. I haven't been stopped yet! 

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

I purchased a pair of 1963 standard issue Maryland license tags.I media blasted them then repainted them by hand. Then I took two part clear epoxy and coated the finish for protection.

I use them all the time while carrying all the required paperwork and standard Historic Maryland tag.

2B9A089D-78C1-48CA-B791-A40F539156B1.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

It's a fake vanity plate, not a NC issued plate! 😂

As long as I have the state issued plate in the car I am good to go. I haven't been stopped yet! 

Well done. I think you are all set. The Dukes of Hazard a car named The General something or other. One segment Of my family likes the show so much they gave one of my cousins the Nick name “ Boss Hogg”.

It stuck!