Driving classics

Den41Buick

Took a ride with my bride of ** years for lunch to celebrate our anniversary(yesterday) and my birthday (tomorrow) at the Ocean House in Watch Hill, RI. What a beautiful day to drive the back roads of RI in a convertible. We had our lunch on the veranda as usual. We have been going there since the new hotel was built in 2010. It is a beautiful spot for a very relaxing lunch. And yes, classics can park in front of the hotel. (Also because no one knows how to valet them).

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

3E8DEF0D-212D-4D42-90E2-5D79DC7EA9C8.jpeg

Edited by Den41Buick
Another picture (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ericmac said:

I decided there is no good reason not to drive the Cadillac every day from now until the weather turns. It was absolutely glorious out today.

I like that idea, before you know it, we'll be putting them away here in the upper midwest and the snow will start to fly.  I also had the thought that a bunch of people who passed you going the other way had a nice start to their day seeing that beautiful Cadillac out on the road stretching its legs!  Blue sky this morning over here on this side of Lake Michigan.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, Den41Buick said:

Took a ride with my bride of ** years for lunch to celebrate our anniversary(yesterday) and my birthday (tomorrow) at the Ocean House in Watch Hill, RI. What a beautiful day to drive the back roads of RI in a convertible. We had our lunch on the veranda as usual. We have been going there since the new hotel was built in 2010. It is a beautiful spot for a very relaxing lunch. And yes, classics can park in front of the hotel. (Also because no one knows how to valet them).

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

3E8DEF0D-212D-4D42-90E2-5D79DC7EA9C8.jpeg

Nothing like a 7 dollar cup of coffee! We enjoy the Ocean House.......back before it burned, and today. We kept a boat in Avondale Marina for 30 years. Place isn't the same since Swift moved in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ericmac said:

That looks like a beautiful place.

To John's point,  I heard from a couple people who were astonished that I would "dare" drive such a car on the public roads. Why not, I ask!

They ALL are just used cars. The only difference is their price. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

They ALL are just used cars. The only difference is their price. 

How true.  As you suggested Ed, the more I drive it the better the car gets. Steering and brakes are fantastic. It runs and shifts better each time I take it out. Lots of little thing are left to do (lights are dim, stuff like that) but it's a real usable car again. 

• Like 3

Another beautiful day in New England. The Roadmaster was itching for a drive. So we decided to take a ride to the Publick House in Sturbridge, MA. We ate lunch in the tavern, then traveled the backroads through Woodstock, CT. Then the car stopped for ice cream in Putnam, CT. We then headed home to celebrate our little boy, Teddy’s first birthday. 

B0CB8491-46F2-430E-8451-C1BCAF0B9017.jpeg

819ADCB5-AC34-416C-A5C0-0B2CF1DBFF40.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, alsancle said:

Today and yesterday have been perfect weather.  75 degrees and no humidity.    For guys that don't understand why Duesenbergs are coveted I took this video for you.   Note that it never comes out of second gear.

I am pretty sure there was a shift to third just at the end of the video.

A nice weather here and since it is after Labor Day almost all the tourists have left town. That made it a good day to move the dashcam to the old car and take a drive around the town. Not a Duesenberg or even a Buick just a lowly Plymouth so it might disappoint you.

https://video.fitchfamily.org/videos/watch/b7185a0a-e150-40e5-97c8-d89e92866036

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I am pretty sure there was a shift to third just at the end of the video.

A nice weather here and since it is after Labor Day almost all the tourists have left town. That made it a good day to move the dashcam to the old car and take a drive around the town. Not a Duesenberg or even a Buick just a lowly Plymouth so it might disappoint you.

https://video.fitchfamily.org/videos/watch/b7185a0a-e150-40e5-97c8-d89e92866036

yes, he goes to third at the end.

Duesenberg advertised 88 mph in second gear.  It definitely will hit 55 mph easily in second.  88 is redline plus with the tallest factory gears.

• Thanks 1

Paint color in that photo looks good, have seen the car in person and in the sun and it is much lighter in tone. I like white walls , but have no idea where you get the energy to clean plated wire wheels on that size rim. My 1930 Packard has larger rims and only the spokes are polished and it is a chore to clean them , but each year that seems to take more time , guess because the car is getting older ..................🙃...........owner getting older?!! well not in thought or mind ( lost that years ago).

• Like 4

So today was warmer. 80 and some humidity.   My daughters truck needs a complete new rack and pinion so I don’t have my truck.  My new daily is a king of the road family truckster.   I’m gonna get a bumper sticker that says my other car is a RR.   Did 30 miles in one of those today.

0CA0D40F-8167-4CA2-9CD9-E9079DB855EB.jpeg

CBC35F49-A350-49D9-AB86-7DCF432D2B1C.jpeg

I like big full size station wagons. My first 20 years of life were in the family 1949 Pontiac , then 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagons. Still like them .

Didn't find out until over a decade + later that the dealership we bought the Plymouth in was built originally to sell Franklins in on the SW corner of Jericho Turnpike ( Rt. 25 and N.Y. Avenue ( Rt 110) in Huntington , long island.   I got to know the fellow whose family built that dealership and have the metal corporate seal /stamp that the agency used for the Franklin sales.  Yes, more obscure automotive artifacts.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, Walt G said:

I like big full size station wagons. My first 20 years of life were in the family 1949 Pontiac , then 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagons. Still like them .

That would be a top-of-the-line nice Plymouth wagon.   It would have been a Fury wagon; the 'I''II' & 'III' designations didn't come out until the full-size 1965 C-bodies were introduced and the Belvedere name was applied to the intermediate size B body. 

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I spent countless hours sorting that car, and it’s one of two Model J’s out of more than two dozen I have driven that really are “as good as they can get”. I took it for a spin last night..........sort of like hooking up with an old girl friend after a bunch of years. It’s still smooth, powerful, and effortless to drive and shift. Quite simply, one of the worlds best pre war cars. By the way, tell the owner he has a headlight out.

• Like 1

I was at a club technical session last weekend in Ohio.  One of the gentleman was a very knowledgeable collector with multiple great cars and he intimated that the Model J was overrated (or at least I interpreted it that way).  A sorted Model J is something to behold.  I guess like most of our cars,  maybe 10-20 percent are truly sorted?

How many prewar cars - especially a pre-1930 car can do this?   It is 1/2 of the of the way through its allowable RPM range.   This car has the middle set of factory gears,  not the tallest and not the stump pullers.

If anybody can guess what we are following I will be impressed.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That car is very well sorted. And one of the best J's I have ever driven.......or worked on. It's a fantastic car; I can name the car in front, but that would not be fair.............It is a BIG BOY TOY!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I talked to Lib yesterday about getting rid of the spot lights.   You either can't open the hood or can't open the doors.  Pick one.

Toss them in the trash.......

• Like 2

• 1 month later...