Driving classics

Den41Buick

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

The problem with a Duesenberg Model J is that once you ride around in one it makes everything else seem like a Model T.

Unfortunately, you are correct. Once you have 10k in a Model J behind the wheel.........everything else is just lacking in.........everything.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, edinmass said:

It’s hard to believe that the designer of the T Bird, started with Duesenbergs.

...and V-12 and V-16 Peerlesses.

P.S.: Ed, I have a photo I got for you at Glacier Park Lodge this summer of a 1910s White. Could you PM me a mailing address? Thank you.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:54 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

It's no pleasure to drive any old car without A/C around Sebring Florida, and really no better for a modern car.  There's no place to go and nothing to see.  Very few country roads around here and the few that are all go to the same places and back.  When I lived on the Northern Neck of Virginia it was all country  roads and interesting things to see.  I only wish I could move back, but if we don't divest ourselves of all of our collectible family furniture and all my car parts we have to pay $23,000 to move.  I'm 81.5 and I just can't do all of that load and unload work anymore.  Alos, it rains virtually every afternoon and/or evening.  Whoever said moving to Florida in retirement was crazy.

Ron in Chicago and others:  Well I'm 83 now and on the verge of getting a 2nd home very near Lake City, FL which isn't so hot.  Then, perhaps I can find country roads to drive on and days when it is much cooler to drive a non-AC old car on weekends.  Sebring is more convenient to doctors and stores and our daughter also lives here, but no old car club or activity.  Lake City has a great car club, and is much cooler most of the year, but still in State Tax-free Florida.  Perhaps we can enjoy these last 8 to 10 years back in the country again.  Who knows?  I've already sold one of my '39 Buicks and the '41 Buick because of heat.  Just bought a little 1971 Dodge Swinger 6 with factor air for this place.  But in Lake City maybe I can use another non-AC 1930's to 1950's car.  There is a 53 Mercury hardtop in Virginia I've eyed for years, but still 6-volt with no air.

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

AJ, Big Al probably has owned his Packard longer than anyone else here......is it 70 years yet? It must be close.

Eddy,  he has owned 4 different 53/54 Caribbeans.    This one only 20 years and came from his best friend who has owned it for 40 years.  It is identical to the one he bought in the early 60s that he restored,  and then made the mistake of putting it in my grandmothers barn where the paint flaked off.   We sold that at Hershey 15 years ago.   If the owner every shows up he should reach to me as I have some paperwork from 50 years ago.

He owned a 54 back in the late 50s that I still have the dash for hanging on my garage wall.  That was a great low mileage car that he was cosmetically restoring and made the mistake of storing it at his buddy's junk yard.   Before he bought the current one he briefly has a blue one.   But wanted green for some reason.

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3466 - Copy.JPG

Dads53 - Copy.jpg

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 2821 - Copy.jpg

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 2822 - Copy.jpg

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 2823 - Copy.jpg

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3464 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Beautiful fall day here in the People’s republic. High 60s, zero humidity, mostly sunny.

We are working out some kinks in this, about 10 miles today. Probably try for 25 later in the week.

I will say one thing about a Packard 12. It will go up a steep grade at 30 miles an hour in third gear and not lug at all.

B31B9E5B-7F2C-4CA9-A956-9E47145A8F83.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Beautiful fall day here in the People’s republic. High 60s, zero humidity, mostly sunny.

We are working out some kinks in this, about 10 miles today. Probably try for 25 later in the week.

I will say one thing about a Packard 12. It will go up a steep grade at 30 miles an hour in third gear and not lug at all.

B31B9E5B-7F2C-4CA9-A956-9E47145A8F83.jpeg

Let’s see some more pics of that Packard. Has it been sleeping for a while?

8 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Let’s see some more pics of that Packard. Has it been sleeping for a while?

Hey John,

I think I have posted pics of this before.  It is a 35 12.    Been in the family for longer than I have.  Forgive us for the chrome spokes and whitewalls.

1935 Packard Twelve Dual-Cowl Phaeton takes Best in Show at... | Hemmings

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hey John,

I think I have posted pics of this before.  It is a 35 12.    Been in the family for longer than I have.  Forgive us for the chrome spokes and whitewalls.

1935 Packard Twelve Dual-Cowl Phaeton takes Best in Show at... | Hemmings

What a great looking car. No apologies needed. I assume it is how your dad wants it. 

I hope we have a long drawn out fall up here in the north country so we can do a little more driving before winter hibernation. 

great fall days are the best for taking out an older car and not being in too much of a hurry.   I hope the planned 25 mile drive inspire confidence that all is well with this long time family ride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Big Al's 35 at Greenwich.  I believe BOS, but more importantly it started and ran great, not sure you guys had 5 miles on it yet.  Are plans to drive it a bit now AJ?

20170603_134245.jpg

It started and ran pretty well at that show, but we’ve had to fix the number of post restoration sorting issues. So I expect it to run much better now. I’ll try to get some miles on it between now and winter.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy New Year. Nice day here for a first ride of the year in my new classic. 
I saw a couple of 70’s cars out for a drive as well.  It was fun to have her on the road.

CC7C8AF7-A786-441F-964C-F457BCED71F5.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Finished getting all the fuel system back to as original, and put several miles driving about 30 minutes today. I stayed close to home just in case.  Satisfying but kept a close eye on all gauges while checking tires and under the car every few minutes.   Everything went smooth....too smooth.....my paranoia meter is pegged to the right.  

38EF94A8-701C-4E59-A1E9-8D93F3EB37AA.jpeg

• Like 6

John, your thought process is similar to mine. I just keep driving in bigger and bigger circles until I get about 50 miles on it. Then I get more adventurous. Took the 851SC speedster out yesterday morning…….after ten miles it started acting up…….headed straight back to the barn. Since it’s sorted I didn’t even have a screwdriver with me. Turns out the choke linkage slipped and I was running around on half choke. Fixed it in three minutes when I got back to the shop, but it ruined the morning. I hate cars that break down. Now I need to put a hundred miles on it to get my confidence back with it. I should be able to get the miles on it this week between projects.

By the way…….please make a post about your car……..would like to see more photos and a story of the car.👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Before you know it, half your collection will be running………a first in the 20 years I have known you. 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

After 2 years of screwing around with it we finally got the Cord back together and shifting and running perfectly.  I'll need to do a longer video but I had it out for about  20 minutes.

Inspiring to all Cord Lovers.  We need to get you some pure Indiana air in those tires. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I drove it home from the shop yesterday.  I posted a video in the "what are you working on now" thread.    They are wonderful cars to drive when sorted.  45 mph at 1600 RPM in 4th.    Traffic a bit heavy and it occurred to me I need to carry magnetic flashers for that one time in 10 years the car dies in the middle of a busy intersection.

IMG_2357.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

I drove it home from the shop yesterday.  I posted a video in the "what are you working on now" thread.    They are wonderful cars to drive when sorted.  45 mph at 1600 RPM in 4th.    Traffic a bit heavy and it occurred to me I need to carry magnetic flashers for that one time in 10 years the car dies in the middle of a busy intersection.

IMG_2357.jpg

Send me the car and I will sort it for you........and we can send it out to the Caravan from here..........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful morning for a ride to visit my father on his 14th anniversary. He was a Korean War navy veteran as well. It was a nice ride on the backroads.

IMG_8950.jpeg

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3