Jump to content

Driving classics


Den41Buick
 Share

Recommended Posts

Why aren't more people driving their classic cars?

 

I make it a point to drive my 41 Buick Roadmaster every weekend. I enjoy riding in the countryside in Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts. On the average I probably spend three hours or more and drive 100 miles on each outing. I have yet to see another classic car on the road. Today I did not see any antique cars except for a 1940 Rat-rod. Usually I will see some cars from the 50's and 60's, but maybe one or two. Have people stopped driving them for pleasure? Maybe I should start looking at more museums to see them........

 

 

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

 

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

 

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

Edited by Den41Buick
add pics (see edit history)
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's no pleasure to drive any old car without A/C around Sebring Florida, and really no better for a modern car.  There's no place to go and nothing to see.  Very few country roads around here and the few that are all go to the same places and back.  When I lived on the Northern Neck of Virginia it was all country  roads and interesting things to see.  I only wish I could move back, but if we don't divest ourselves of all of our collectible family furniture and all my car parts we have to pay $23,000 to move.  I'm 81.5 and I just can't do all of that load and unload work anymore.  Alos, it rains virtually every afternoon and/or evening.  Whoever said moving to Florida in retirement was crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

It's no pleasure to drive any old car without A/C around Sebring Florida, and really no better for a modern car.  There's no place to go and nothing to see.  Very few country roads around here and the few that are all go to the same places and back.  When I lived on the Northern Neck of Virginia it was all country  roads and interesting things to see.  I only wish I could move back, but if we don't divest ourselves of all of our collectible family furniture and all my car parts we have to pay $23,000 to move.  I'm 81.5 and I just can't do all of that load and unload work anymore.  Alos, it rains virtually every afternoon and/or evening.  Whoever said moving to Florida in retirement was crazy.

 

I would love to leave Mass for a number of reasons.   The weather from April through October is not one of them.   My wife and I have decided Florida is off the list unless it is renting a condo for a few weeks in January.

 

My 95 year old dad and I put about 60 miles on a mid 30s Chrysler last week.   It has been unusually warm here,  some days close to 90 in the afternoon,  but you can still drive if you don't mine a little heat.   You can stay in the shade 90% of the time if you want.   If I got to the North I can stay on back roads until I hit Canada.

 

Today is Packard day.   Will also be a warm day,  which is a good stress test.  My dad will watch the oil pressure and temp gauge.  He'll tell me every 100 feet what the temp is.   

 

 

IMG_5794.jpg

large.DSC01687.JPG.70602ecf7195d33037a9844fa2f141e0.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've noticed the same thing around here since April.  I don't have anything older than 1953, but I've been out driving my stuff a lot, and I haven't noticed my usual ration of other old cars on the road.  My theory is that a good portion of people who own old cars only get them out if there's somewhere to show them off; since there aren't any shows this year, many people haven't bothered.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

I make it a point to drive my 41 Buick Roadmaster every weekend. I enjoy riding in the countryside in Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts. On the average I probably spend three hours or more and drive 100 miles on each outing. I have yet to see another classic car on the road. Today I did not see any antique cars except for a 1940 Rat-rod. Usually I will see some cars from the 50's and 60's, but maybe one or two

I'm in East Central Connecticut, and it's been maybe 10 years since I've seen a "stock" prewar on the roads here, even if there is some car event on a weekend.  (I drive a modified 50s style 1932 Ford as my only primary car for 2 years now, 12 months a year).

 

The only prewars I see are modified and not that many.  Even the 55 chevy that passed by my house this past week was modified. 

 

I wonder a lot about where those stock original cars are now, the ones I'd see at local shows many decades ago.

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

It's no pleasure to drive any old car without A/C around Sebring Florida, and really no better for a modern car.  There's no place to go and nothing to see.  Very few country roads around here and the few that are all go to the same places and back.  When I lived on the Northern Neck of Virginia it was all country  roads and interesting things to see.  I only wish I could move back, but if we don't divest ourselves of all of our collectible family furniture and all my car parts we have to pay $23,000 to move.  I'm 81.5 and I just can't do all of that load and unload work anymore.  Alos, it rains virtually every afternoon and/or evening.  Whoever said moving to Florida in retirement was crazy.

I recall another similar post from you recently.  All I say to anyone who talks to me in person and is miserably unhappy with current situations, I say it's never too late to make a major change, and that it's never impossible to do so.

 

It's just a matter of weighing the difficulties of that temporary upsetting change, versus finally finding simple honest contentment. 

 

Monetary costs of said change should not come into play at that moment, unless a person honestly cannot come up with the funds.

 

.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, F&J said:

I'm in East Central Connecticut, and it's been maybe 10 years since I've seen a "stock" prewar on the roads here, even if there is some car event on a weekend.  (I drive a modified 50s style 1932 Ford as my only primary car for 2 years now, 12 months a year).

 

The only prewars I see are modified and not that many.  Even the 55 chevy that passed by my house this past week was modified. 

 

I wonder a lot about where those stock original cars are now, the ones I'd see at local shows many decades ago.

I recall another similar post from you recently.  All I say to anyone who talks to me in person and is miserably unhappy with current situations, I say it's never too late to make a major change, and that it's never impossible to do so.

 

It's just a matter of weighing the difficulties of that temporary upsetting change, versus finally finding simple honest contentment. 

 

Monetary costs of said change should not come into play at that moment, unless a person honestly cannot come up with the funds.

 

.

I tell myself the same thing.  There are more hangups other than just money.  The money is really no object, except my wife thinks so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with a large group of people not being handy, so they are dependent on others to help them matched to in some ways it is easier to find parts (internet) and some ways it is harder (just rare stuff to begin with and time has eaten parts supply), plus dealing with a pre-WWII car can be an expensive proposition.

 

As a sidenote: like things attract (aka I am usually the odd duck with a 30's car, but ....).  

 

I do see a group of people in their Model A Fords, a 31 Chevrolet Cabriolet, a couple Thunderbird's, and a couple Mustang's on a weekly basis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lunch today, a Pebble Best of Show winner on 95..........does that count as driving your classic? 👍
 

 

Its 97 degrees and 80 percent humidity.........but if you drive over 45 mph, the car is comfortable. Then again, regardless of how hot or cold, It’s a fun car to drive.

39E9F748-79FD-4399-8E40-B0A9F059A30E.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunday I want to breakfast in a 68 Mustang. Just a used car. Up pulled a 1941 Cadillac convertible sedan. I got up to speak to the owner. A nice family man of about 45 years of age. He was surprised when I identified the car by year and series. He likes the car, and drives it. But he knows nothing about cars or history. It was an impulse buy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that LTD ..............and just for the record.........It’s more fun hanging around Big Al than it is with you! I called him tonight, and asked him to give you the whitewall talk again!

 

I like the fact that I’m thinking about social security soon, and your dad bought that car five years before I was born!
😝

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I like that LTD ..............and just for the record.........It’s more fun hanging around Big Al than it is with you! I called him tonight, and asked him to give you the whitewall talk again!
😝


Eddy, you know how much those whitewalls are killing me.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:


Eddy, you know how much those whitewalls are killing me.


Send me the car and a check........I will fix the tires and wheels all in one shot!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:03 AM, Aaron65 said:

I've noticed the same thing around here since April.  I don't have anything older than 1953, but I've been out driving my stuff a lot, and I haven't noticed my usual ration of other old cars on the road.  My theory is that a good portion of people who own old cars only get them out if there's somewhere to show them off; since there aren't any shows this year, many people haven't bothered.  

Quite a umber of us has been attending the one local A&W here that has had organized Friday night cruises up until end of September last year.  This year, we've been averaging 75-100 cars when the weather has been on our side.  Of course, this year, Don, the A&W franchisee cannot make the the call to organize it as in the past as the number in attendance would far exceed the legal limit, but so far, its been very successful in bringing out our vintage cars.

 

Craig

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok,  not a big "C" Classic but something I have always liked.  My dad and I did about an hour loop to the north with a stop for ice cream because he couldn't control himself.   It was 82-84 degrees today with mild cloud cover so actually pretty comfortable weather.   The loop was all 40/50 mph two lane roads with a few stop lights and a few stop signs.   Not a lot of houses  or traffic.     

 

 

IMG_0738.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ok,  not a big "C" Classic but something I have always liked.  My dad and I did about an hour loop to the north with a stop for ice cream because he couldn't control himself.   It was 82-84 degrees today with mild cloud cover so actually pretty comfortable weather.   The loop was all 40/50 mph two lane roads with a few stop lights and a few stop signs.   Not a lot of houses  or traffic.     

 

 

IMG_0738.jpg


 

What’s up with the used car?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

 

Eddy,  everybody else in the world will take any of the Halo cars.    I would like one of each.


 

Everybody else has poor taste in cars..............just saying.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's hope we all get back to driving our cars soon, and in assorted weather too as well. The weather when this photo was taken some decades ago was a bit "misty " the location is about 90 miles east of where I live at the eastern tip of long island. To get to the next land mass behind the light house you need to navigate a big pond, the land  is in England , that light house you see behind the Franklin in the photo is in Montauk Point , NY.

FranklinMontaukPointfog001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
clarify sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was I was lucky enough to spend the afternoon and evening with a buddy that owns this Stanley Vanderbilt Racer Replica.   We ran the water tank almost all the way down so I'm thinking close to 30 miles of driving.  Went to a local cruise night,  and drove around for an hour after.   Really great time.  I'll post a video when I can get it off my phone.

IMG_7210.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Today was I was lucky enough to spend the afternoon and evening with a buddy that owns this Stanley Vanderbilt Racer Replica.   We ran the water tank almost all the way down so I'm thinking close to 30 miles of driving.  Went to a local cruise night,  and drove around for an hour after.   Really great time.  I'll post a video when I can get it off my phone.

IMG_7210.JPG


 

Is that a Robert “Buckey” Boudeman creation?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was a fine cool day and the Packard was ready for some exercise.

Drove up RT.16 to Gorham, NH for lunch,  where the car spent quite a few years, then took Rt 2 east from Gorham to Evans Notch, part of the White Mountain National Forest. A rather nice drive with very little traffic.

Close to 200 miles round trip.

The only other old car I saw was a ~39 Mercury coupe as I was leaving the Evans Notch road.

JimKB1MCV

 

 

DSCN0349.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went on a 93 mile tour of Eastern CT and RI, with a photo op at the Congregational Church in Hampton, CT. Most of CT Route 79 outside of Pomfret was freshly paved providing a sweet ride from North to South passing many colonial homes.  Still NO other classics on the road. Only saw a 1966 Lincoln.

 

 

 

 

IMG_3077.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had severe thunderstorms the last few days and they were predicted for this afternoon but never materialized.   I did manage to help my dad move cars around in the garage which was an adventure in itself.  

 

While we out on an errand we passed a nice looking 64 Corvette which is only 16 years too new for the 1948 cut off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm out driving a pre-war classic around the neighborhood about once a week, usually on a leisurely 4-5 mile drive.  Did a 9 mile drive this afternoon, actually.  I can't recall seeing another CCCA car, but in recent months I've seen a '67 mustang, a '63 corvette, and a Jag XK120 on the road at various times while I was out.  

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We saw several classics today at Tom Laferriere's open house. We took the 1941 Buick 71C to the open house. Tom opened up all the buildings and had quite a display of Classics. Nice job Tom and staff. Plenty of eye candy there. My favorite was the 33 Packard Convertible Victoria, although the Duesy's were not bad too.

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I told Tom my dad and I would be there,  but when I told my dad we needed to be on the road at 7:00 AM he suddenly didn't feel up to it...

 

Today was high 70s in Mass,  did about 30 miles of back roads in the Jag.   It is stumbling/skipping over 2k so I may need to ask for help from savant boy Eddie.

 

 

DadAndMeInJag.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...