Driving classics

Den41Buick

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

53 Skylarks are stunning.......but so are those 53/54 Caribbeans.  We should be hitting our stride coming into good driving weather here in the upper midwest.

Other than a few rain outs,  the weather in NE has been stunning the last month.  55-60 degrees,  zero humidity,  blue skies.  I would take that 365 days a year.

• Like 1

Car looks a lot different since you talked Big Al into installing the modern wire wheels and white walls. The prominent Firestone lettering is a bit over the top. 🤔

Nice car by the way.........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Eddy, those wheels have been on there longer than I’ve been alive.

Enduring bad taste.......I’ll forgive Big Al, he’s earned it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here in Germany it is the same. We do have around 500.000 officially registered classic cars (older than 30 years) and many many more hidden in garages. Even if the weather is nice and bright at the weekend, you rarely see any of those. People only seem to drive to car meets, that is it. No meets, no cars. But just recently a 50s Mercedes 300 SL gullwing overtook us on the highway, twice as quick as us in the 49 Buick Super convertible. In an unusual beige color. What an experience!! Will never forget that. If I don't see anything old and nice for the next 10 years and then such a car again, I am fine. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hans1965 said:

Here in Germany it is the same. We do have around 500.000 officially registered classic cars (older than 30 years) and many many more hidden in garages. Even if the weather is nice and bright at the weekend, you rarely see any of those. People only seem to drive to car meets, that is it. No meets, no cars. But just recently a 50s Mercedes 300 SL gullwing overtook us on the highway, twice as quick as us in the 49 Buick Super convertible. In an unusual beige color. What an experience!! Will never forget that. If I don't see anything old and nice for the next 10 years and then such a car again, I am fine. 

Back in the early 70’s a gull wing Mercedes was just a used car, and we thought nothing of it when being given a ride to Montessori School in it. We looked at Ford T Birds with more lust. Times have changed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Back in the early 70’s a gull wing Mercedes was just a used car, and we thought nothing of it when being given a ride to Montessori School in it. We looked at Ford T Birds with more lust. Times have changed. 

You and I will disagree on this.   My dad was in hot pursuit of a roadster which slipped through his fingers and he was not happy about it.    They were like Jaguars,  everybody thought they were cool,  just not so cool as to bring 7 figures like now.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

22 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You and I will disagree on this.   My dad was in hot pursuit of a roadster which slipped through his fingers and he was not happy about it.    They were like Jaguars,  everybody thought they were cool,  just not so cool as to bring 7 figures like now.

It is fun to pull out a 40 year copy of Hemmings and look at a certain price point and find two cars that were similar in the past and see how that has changed. Thinking about affordable gull wings makes you want to have a crystal ball. What is the next car to pop?  

I remember a long time ago you could buy five Boss 302’s or one 73/74 12 cylinder jag convertible.......    seems crazy now. 

22 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

It is fun to pull out a 40 year copy of Hemmings and look at a certain price point and find two cars that were similar in the past and see how that has changed. Thinking about affordable gull wings makes you want to have a crystal ball. What is the next car to pop?  

I remember a long time ago you could buy five Boss 302’s or one 73/74 12 cylinder jag convertible.......    seems crazy now. 

I paid 4500 bucks for my Boss 302 in 1988.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I paid 4500 bucks for my Boss 302 in 1988.

My point exactly. I wanted to say 10 Boss 302’s but didn’t want to seem overly dramatic. I remember a LONG time ago people wanted six figures for a 74 12 cyl jag  roadster.   That price point is about the same 40 years later.  

13 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

My point exactly. I wanted to say 10 Boss 302’s but didn’t want to seem overly dramatic. I remember a LONG time ago people wanted six figures for a 74 12 cyl jag  roadster.   That price point is about the same 40 years later.  

People figured out they really were not great cars.   The all timer is the 55-57 T-Bird.   Prices were crazy at one point 25-30 years ago.    I have this feeling we will be saying the same thing about the 190SL at some point too.

• Like 2

I’m a Ford fan, but those early birds are something else. You can actually hear them rust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I’m a Ford fan, but those early birds are something else. You can actually hear them rust.

Yep, I had a 55 for about seven years. The reality didn’t measure up to the dream. I guess if there is a positive to it, I got it out of my system.  

My heart has softened towards them over time but I doubt I’ll ever have another one.....  that can be said about several cars. 

A2316B77-CF9C-488F-B256-2C3D4453699A.png

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

It’s hard to believe that the designer of the T Bird, started with Duesenbergs.

Or Pontiacs in the 1930's or a small Vauxhall clay styling model that sprouted small rudders on the ends of the rear fenders inspired by the P-38.   Frank was a massively talented versatile designer.    

• Like 1

Oh yes, the Whittell Berline.   How did Murphy manage to seal those doors extended into the roof?    Roe notes it is all-steel construction too, was this another Murphy advancement cut short by the economic downturn ending the firm?  

On 7/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, edinmass said:

Back in the early 70’s a gull wing Mercedes was just a used car, and we thought nothing of it when being given a ride to Montessori School in it.

OMG!  Eddie was a Montessori kid, especially Way Back When?  Now I finally understand you better! 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, back to driving after several months of waiting for work to get done on the Roadmaster. Today I took a drive from home to Thompson, CT to Woodstock to Pomfret to Hampton to Brooklyn and Scotland, Canterbury, Sterling Oneco, and back to RI on back roads. It was a beautiful day in the low 70's. Made several stops for pictures. Saw several cars from the 50's and 60's, but still NO CLASSICS. 

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday was a nice but warm day for a drive before Hurricane Henri arrives. My daughter and I went for a drive to Thompson, CT. On our drive we discovered an abandoned windmill, water tower etc? Maybe the "Curse of Oak Island" people can investigate. We also met a man who writes an auto auctions for Hagerty. He had just returned from Monterey. Good conversation. Went to lunch in Putnam, CT and then came home to prepare for the hurricane. 

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

• Like 2

Sunday, August 15 was teh official Grand Opening of the Body by Fisher exhibit at teh Detroit Historical Museum.

Our V-63 Cadillac coupe was invited to be one of the "Fisher Body" cars on display.

I drove it about 17 miles down Woodward Avenue to the museum. It generated a lot of interest!

We arrived just before a local TV station began a live interview with the Curator and they positioned the Cadillac immediately behind the reporter.

IMG_20210815_191042.jpg.98d4b8397e24afeac912234f684bbf32.jpg

There were many families with small children visiting the museum and I had fun explaining and demonstrating the car's features. 

I invited many people to sit in the car for photos; it was a fun day!

IMG_20210815_084418_01.jpg

• Like 1

Well only a short drive to pick my car up from having it detailed. Quite pleased, and I can say I am rarely pleased. He spent a lot of time and used some great materials. The car shines like it has never since I have owned it. 

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

• Like 5

Well it took me a year to figure out how to put the badge on the grille. Lol. I put on approximately 1400 miles last year during COVID-19 lockdown. I have yet to calculate this year so far. Eek, not sure if I will have to put on another badge!

8CFF07BE-4E95-4CDB-94E5-23C7DD6A68F2.jpeg

• Like 1