Driving classics

Den41Buick

The other notable thing about a speed six Bentley is that you can go from 4 miles an hour to 50 miles an hour in third gear without it hesitating. The thing is  a locomotive.  

Before Ed chimes in I will admit he has been saying this for a while.

• Haha 1

For those of you guys like me that love old hotels we stayed at the Wentworth by the Sea in Portsmouth NH.  Think the Mount Washington hotel but 1/2 big.  Very cool, probably haunted.   Spent Saturday driving around with a friend in his Bentley.   The weather helped and hurt at the same time.  It was 45 degrees and misting which is uncomfortable in a car with no windows.   But the good news was little traffic.   We went down Rt 1 and 1A through NH and upper MA.    We were supposed to drive 120 miles but took some short cuts to get lunch so more like 80.

Btw,  Bentley guys drive in any condition weather.  They don't care.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

• Like 6

Typical used car parking lot……..I seem to trip over these places fairly often. A Speed Six is in my immediate future……

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

In the last couple of days I've done some decent driving, even with the very hot weather.  I had my Stearns out yesterday for about an hour.  Then our Silver Wraith today for a 30 mile drive.   In between I got to drive a friends 34 Super Eight Packard that has been sorted within an inch of its life.     Talk about 3 different driving experiences.   The pre-1930 stuff is very cool in many ways but requires a lot of work and concentration to drive.    I guess that is part of what signed up for.

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

• Like 6

4F493D21-B7CE-40AE-A2B6-EB0FBED1FA09.jpeg.241f1b1c43a060d23114a8792e018a0a.jpeg

logged the most miles yet today on my 733 club sedan after waking it up from a 10 year slumber. Each time seems better and my confidence in the car goes up a notch. I was able to pick up my 88 y/o neighbor who lives alone and loves cars and he road shotgun as we ventured on to some new roads with the car. In a fabulous way.......it was uneventful.  Planning next steps which likely are draining all coolant (water) and I have five gallons of evaporust ready to go to run in it for the rest of the summer and fall. 

it seems to run well with the zenith carb but I have the Detroit Lubricator that was in it and I’m considering sending it out for rebuild and going back to it. 

the engine has probably run a total of three hours now and covered maybe  30 miles. 

back in the barn

3B5B2A22-0920-40DD-9DB4-668502B3A939.jpeg.b9fae59f34840b01020e46238ff2d3bc.jpeg56FC9FA6-B009-49D8-B010-95E1323B6000.jpeg.2356e43bf19d4d999d6c1090f8912fef.jpeg

A42AFA9E-9ACE-42E6-802B-AC11152C6EE6.jpeg.b5f2c964ee2ca97a89da79bc060a2f9e.jpegAC6F29CB-4757-421B-B06E-6E589C7D9A94.jpeg.be4edca6b54f837ff103ce88ee1c840d.jpeg

• Like 11

Went out for a short ride to purchase a winning lottery ticket for $2.00, so I could realize my dream of a 20 car garage filled with classics! And maybe one sporty European car too!

IMG_9214.jpeg

Edited by Den41Buick
Pic (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Johan Boltendal said:

Cadillac by the fenderlamp 

Yes……I was just giving him a hard time, driving a V-16 and implying it’s a small 8.

• Haha 1

Nice work if you can inherit it.  Little wonder the CCCA fading, 2,500 members less "associate members," aka wives, in a nation of 350 million, world of 8.1 billion.   The paucity of sport cars and that Buick Roadmasters not "Classics" but the same car with fancier interior fittings on longer wheelbase is,  Reo Royale 8-35 and 8-52, but not the rarer, more manageable 8-31 underscore sheer  s i z e  as much CCCA attribute as anything because we all know machine tools ensure consistent quality.   Don't look too closely,  but the beloved HydraMatic-equipped 1941-47 "Classic" Cadillac golf cart shares every piece of sheet metal with Pontiac.   Yet the most heavily posted thread ever on the CCCA forums was about the overblown pushrod ohv Mercedes 500/540K, which that know nothing Ralph Stein dismissed as "fat and heavy, vulgarly curvilinear.  I thought at the time if you had draped them with medals, they'd look like dear old Hermann Goering himself.  If he had wheels."     

Perhaps Walter Mitty Fan Club?

What LA lawyer/Motor Trend columnist Robert J. Gottlieb unleashed in 1951 coining "classic cars"  the white elephants, well wrought fire trucks languishing on the back row of any big city used car lot because they were gas hogs with no source of tires.

La-di-da.  Out for a cruise.  

Edited by Su8overdrive (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is a 526.   I spent time with that and my Stearns today.   Talk about two different worlds.  The hood on the Stearns is 18" longer.   The Packard was very nifty to drive in tight quarters, started and shifted easily.    The Stearns is of course a bear in tight spots but does much better on the open road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

If you think the cowl vent is complicated, you should try working on the engine. 

My point exactly. Rolls-Royces are the Rube-Goldberg contraptions of the collector car world. It's flat-out amazing how well they work, but man they're needlessly complex.

• Like 2

Or you could just buy an Individual Custom Dietrich…….. but you would have to pry your wallet open with a crowbar ………..

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Or you could just buy an Individual Custom Dietrich…….. but you would have to pry your wallet open with a crowbar ………..

Which I believe does not have a cowl vent.    In fact, the cowl vent on this particular car was special ordered and noted so on the build sheet.

Different car,  same hood, no vent.

IMG_7492.jpg

• Like 2

I stand corrected as there are vents. The full length hood is a 34 Dietrich feature (Brewster had it in 31) and it looks like they tucked cowl vents in.   However, not the same as the cowl band is gone but the hood does not go full length like the RR.

1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Individual Custom Convertible Sedan

• Like 1