Package tray redo

Parccent65

I want to redo the package tray on my '65 with black standard interior/rear defroster and am not sure which one to go with. My options are: a Clark's tray, an ebay press board tray, or an OPGI light board tray that comes with a jute pad that goes underneath. I want to keep the defroster as it works. The tray currently in the car is fiberglass that is padded and covered with vinyl (could possibly be a Clark's tray?). What l don't like about it is the rear shape of it doesn't conform to the rear window edge very well (it's lower on the outside edges) so the previous owner placed a filler vinyl strip to fill the gap and it doesn't look good (maybe it did at one time). Also there is an awkward gap where it meets the chrome speaker grill. On a lot of them I've seen, this part butts up to the speaker grill and I like the look of that. It appears that the speaker grille "nubs" on the top edge were made to insert into the slots in the metal structure behind the seat but I'm not sure. The non-vinyl covered trays may not look the best if it is cut off abruptly along the edge where it meets the window, either. It sounds like the factory original tray in most cases didn't hold up very well which isn't surprising with all the sun beating down on it, etc. Thanks

Edited by Parccent65
grammar fix (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Someone had advertised fiberglass trays for several years in the Riview.  The ad stated you had to paint or cover them to match your interior.  I don’t recall who it was but Clark’s typically offers top quality products.

That was a guy from Las Vegas. Don't remember his name but I could find it if anyone is interested.  I think that I saved some correspondence from him. ( Anyone remember the days before email and these forums?) I know that I still have a letter from Leonard Scott somewhere in my files. A few of you will recognize that name.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 8/8/2020 at 1:00 PM, Parccent65 said:

I want to redo the package tray on my '65 with black standard interior/rear defroster and am not sure which one to go with. My options are: a Clark's tray, an ebay press board tray, or an OPGI light board tray that comes with a jute pad that goes underneath. I want to keep the defroster as it works. The tray currently in the car is fiberglass that is padded and covered with vinyl (could possibly be a Clark's tray?). What l don't like about it is the rear shape of it doesn't conform to the rear window edge very well (it's lower on the outside edges) so the previous owner placed a filler vinyl strip to fill the gap and it doesn't look good (maybe it did at one time). Also there is an awkward gap where it meets the chrome speaker grill. On a lot of them I've seen, this part butts up to the speaker grill and I like the look of that. It appears that the speaker grille "nubs" on the top edge were made to insert into the slots in the metal structure behind the seat but I'm not sure. The non-vinyl covered trays may not look the best if it is cut off abruptly along the edge where it meets the window, either. It sounds like the factory original tray in most cases didn't hold up very well which isn't surprising with all the sun beating down on it, etc. Thanks

Actually what did the original trays in was water coming in due to a rusted out rear window channel. Cars that were not driven in the rain usually still

have pristine package trays 55 years later. If you drove these cars in the rain only  every once in a while or washed them with a water hose and didn't blow out the window channel when they got wet, the window channel would rust out, leak water onto the package tray and ruin it by the time these cars were five years old. Here is a pic of the original package tray in my 65 that looks like new because the car has not been wet since 1967. The 65 riviera that my Dad bought new was never driven in the rain, but was washed

with a hose regularly and we didn't know to blow out the window channel when we got done and the package tray was ruined by 1970.

RSCN0245.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Actually what did the original trays in was water coming in due to a rusted out rear window channel. Cars that were not driven in the rain usually still

have pristine package trays 55 years later. If you drove these cars in the rain only  every once in a while or washed them with a water hose and didn't blow out the window channel when they got wet, the window channel would rust out, leak water onto the package tray and ruin it by the time these cars were five years old. Here is a pic of the original package tray in my 65 that looks like new because the car has not been wet since 1967. The 65 riviera that my Dad bought new was never driven in the rain, but was washed

with a hose regularly and we didn't know to blow out the window channel when we got done and the package tray was ruined by 1970. I have an

Automobile Quarterly book from 1981 that has a big article on the early Rivieras which included an interview with Bill Mitchell, the designer of the car.

In the article he stated that it was his demand that the rear window molding be flush with the sheet metal on the 63 Riviera design that led to the  Fisher body engineers coming up with a new way of mounting the back window, gluing it into a channel then putting stainless on top instead of mounting the glass with rubber. This design was incorporated for the first time in the early Riviera, then spread to all GM lines in 1965, and of course it proved to be a disaster due to the channel holding water and then rusting out the roof channel.

RSCN0245.JPG

• 3 years later...

Old thread, but I just checked the pricing page for these on the Clark’s website (yikes! $$$$$) and they look to be a discontinued part.  Before I call them, does anyone know the story?

On 8/8/2020 at 2:00 PM, Parccent65 said:

The originals were cardboard

My original '64 was a cardboard backer with a heavy fiber matting under. It was still in good shape in 1978 when I bought the car. I knew moisture would cause damage to them. I removed mine from the car and gave the the fiber a thorough coating of shellac, really let it soak in. The car hasn't spent any time outside since then, hasn't been driven in rain, or stored in a damp building so it still looks pretty good today.

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

I just ordered one. Nothing said about discontinuing the item.

My Riviera project is a 3X affair. That flat panel parcel shelf I reluctantly installed was supposed to be temporary. Yes, it is far from perfect.

Procrastination (my friend) has that shelf near the bottom of the list thanks to total cost including shipping.

Clark's fiberglass shelf, hopefully NOT Discontinued!

Flat Cardboard Shelf:

image.png.3b969a4611c4667bb602a25e99da9812.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

I just ordered one this week from Clark’s to complete the interior of my 65. The nice lady I spoke to took the order and sent it to production. I got my FedEx tracking number next day. 

I find the Clarks site tricky at times especially with estimating shipping to Canada so I tend to call them when placing orders and they are excellent in customer care. 

Any doubts, give them a call. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

My Riviera project is a 3X affair. That flat panel parcel shelf I reluctantly installed was supposed to be temporary. Yes, it is far from perfect.

Procrastination (my friend) has that shelf near the bottom of the list thanks to total cost including shipping.

Clark's fiberglass shelf, hopefully NOT Discontinued!

Flat Cardboard Shelf:

image.png.3b969a4611c4667bb602a25e99da9812.png

XframeFX that shelf in the picture looks excellent and dare I say “correct”. I would put it near bottom of to do list too. 

Edited by MrAG Riv (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I worked with Clarks for awhile tying to get the package tray correct.

Took a few times BUT we got it, two years plus.

You get what you pay for.

They is no other that fits correctly.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

I must agree with Mr Tolesco. The original nicely refits if the tray is covered tight. I recondition/ repair and recover original Buick Riviera 63-65 package trays. The other suppliers that are not duplicating the OEM package tray dimensions are going to have a devil of time getting a good fit.

Turbinator

23 hours ago, MrAG Riv said:

I find the Clarks site tricky at times especially with estimating shipping

Sir, you said a mouthful. I have their paper catalogue and find what I need and call them. I find Clark’s has real good customer service.

The only thing I think they could improve is a better fastening method to keep their buttons on their leather upholstery. I finally cooked up a mask to protect the leather and used epoxy to keep the buttons on. Much to my surprise the buttons stay on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

I find Clark’s has real good customer service.

You're not kidding! They fixed-me-up with just front carpet, the 3rd when a heater core leak damaged my 2nd carpet. This when they had a full 3-piece molded set in-stock. I think her name was Anna and she went to a lot of trouble colour matching for my $107 purchase. Much appreciated!

RED is Eye Candy, wouldn't you say Turbinator Bob and Canadian Andrew?

image.png.bcb3542c7f7c0a6a1f569bdae71e32f3.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

RED is Eye Candy, wouldn't you say Turbinator Bob and Canadian Andrew

Admittedly, blue is my favorite color. BUT the red on the Riviera has grown on me.

dsc_0967.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

RED is Eye Candy, wouldn't you say Turbinator Bob and Canadian Andrew?

I may be biased but I do think the red interior is striking. Color coordinated pedals and steering wheel complete the ensemble! Like a 1900s French bordello. 

Edited by MrAG Riv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

French bordello adds a bit of adventure riding in all that red. As, I mentioned the red does grow on you. Recently, I bought a pair of red suede shoes and red Homburg hat to go with the car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2