jacks

nick8086

It’s the new and improved model...........cheap Chinese junk that’s killing us faster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My primary jack stands I bought from NAPA in early 70s. They are the cross pin type. I do have a 4 of HF aluminum 2 ton jack stands. They seem well built and my primary use is with Crosleys so 8 tons of capacity to hold up around 1200lbs. They may get used with my 50 Ford F1 which would be a little more taxing but still about a factor of 2 overkill and accept for long term projects they are back up for the hydraulic jack that stays in place. All that said, I tend to buy quality and enjoy it for a long time.

I bought a floor jack from Costco maybe 15 to20 years ago it came with 2 chrome jack stands,the jack still works like the day I bought it,the stands are similar to what harbor freight sells except mine have a long triangle shaped pin that goes thru them,the stickers on the jack and stands say goodyear

7 hours ago, bdc said:

Doesn't matter what you use but the day you find out they're not reliable anymore is too late!

Reminds me of the saying "a gun is like a parachute. if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again"

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JustDave said:

,the stickers on the jack and stands say goodyear

Yea, I was given a Schwinn bicycle, It turns out to be from a box store. They don't make real ones anymore. 

I guess I will keep using my wood jacking blocks. Dad started making them 40 years ago, and I still make new ones today. Like platform framing of a floor/ceiling cross section, using 2 x 4 (and 2 x 6) as the floor joists and 1 x whatever for the floor and ceiling. With a brace at the open ends so the floor joists do not "fall" over. About 16" square.  I've had them stacked to hold cars at the 3 foot level.

Yes, I do also put stuff under the vehicle so it can not fall to the ground and crush me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I guess I will keep using my wood jacking blocks. Dad started making them 40 years ago, and I still make new ones today. Like platform framing of a floor/ceiling cross section, using 2 x 4 (and 2 x 6) as the floor joists and 1 x whatever for the floor and ceiling. With a brace at the open ends so the floor joists do not "fall" over. About 16" square.  I've had them stacked to hold cars at the 3 foot level.

Yes, I do also put stuff under the vehicle so it can not fall to the ground and crush me.

I have a modern and fully outfitted shop......the first tool I actually put in the bay were the 2x4 & 4x4 cut offs from the building of the place. When the work crews looked at me like I was crazy......I told them any shop that doesn't have 50 blocks of wood in all sizes, is a shop you should stay away from. I went out and bought 6x6 and 8x8 culls from the lumber yard to have big blocks on hand. Just last week I was adding smaller dimension blocks to the pile.......it never ends, as old and damaged ones get tossed, and new ones added. I also keep a very large assortment in my enclosed trailer which always come in handy. Too many people are obsessed with trick gadgets and specialty tools they will use once, and they don't even have a 2x4 in the garage. And I agree.....even with Snap On jack stands, I always place blocks for extra safety........Packard 12's are crazy heavy, and I have seen the results of cars falling on people. Also, cheap jacks that they sell are also a big problem. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

.....I told them any shop that doesn't have 50 blocks of wood in all sizes, is a shop you should stay away from. 

I have a pile of wood and I don't know how you can restore a car without misc.wood blocks. Even in my body shop, wood is always needed. ie, On the drill press, blocking for welding, 

spacing for measurement, cushioning hammer blows, and so many other uses.

PS, 1955 Chrysler shop manual calls for a block of wood placed between the door and door jam and slam door to correct hinge alignment.😬

Edited by Roger Walling
added PS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

PS, 1955 Chrysler shop manual calls for a block of wood placed between the door and door jam and slam door to correct hinge alignment.

That was my $10 cash repair back in the collision repair shop. Person drives up with a balky door, 2 x 4 and done.  Pay me not for the work, but the knowledge of where to place the 2 x 4 ! 😉

• Like 1

All this talk of wood reminded me of a my early days at a job I had in a lab. I needed to hang a dark curtain across an opening. The ceiling was a drop in ceiling and I decided a piece of 1"X2" would do the job. I was told the only place I could get a piece of wood was the model shop. Off I go, I tell the manager in the office what I wanted and he sent me out to this older machinist. I went out and introduce myself to Malcolm (we would become good friends) and told him what I needed, he said how long and I held my hands apart and he picked up a precision rule and measured the distance to a 32nd.

• Haha 3