how are buick reattas

ltlbudah

I am looking for a second car I currently have a 2001 mr2 spyder really fun car are the reattas dependable like a spyder? I was looking at the 1988 year I saw one with the suede top and as less than 40,000 miles for 3800 other one was here and that as like 3 times the miles? Just looking for what you think even my spyder needs work to so that doesn't scare me just want a fun car like my spyder just little more practical since spyders are not that. Thanks for your help also open to other cars you think would be fun to have/ Well the reattas out have decided to get something else am open to any ideas my boxer is funny as can be and wont get in my spyder. I was thinking of the following any suggestions be greatly appreciated, An older Toyota or Honda and also looking into a Mazda rx7 or mada8 Porsche boxsters also look like fun,  thought you would enjoy this pic of ceasar refusing to get onto spyder.

ceasarspyder.jpg

Edited by ltlbudah
wannted to add pic and questions (see edit history)

You may get some satisfactory answers here, 

but you might also want to pose your question

in the "Buick Reatta" category of this forum.

Just scroll down the list of topics, and you'll see

that category among various Buick topics.  There

are plenty of Reatta experts there who may give

you more knowledgeable answers.

I think some of the first generation Mazda Miatas

might suit you.  They would probably be more

reliable than the Reattas, though as you imply,

any older car will likely need work at least occasionally.

All the best to you in your search!

• Thanks 1

I live my 91. The reatta is a bit of a weird car lots of parts that are specific to it. Thankfully the drivetrain GM put in a ton of other cars so no real issues there. There a ton of good info down on the  reatta section here. There’s also a good group on Facebook with a lot of info. 

• Thanks 1

As a former Reatta owner I wouldn't recommend them. Due to the expensive to repair Teves brake booster, electrical problems aplenty, rust issues, and a very limited market for resale. You will WANT to resell it, trust me on this point! Any old Toyota is much more reliable than a Reatta.

• Thanks 1

I have never owned a Reatta and not known any owners. But I have know a few Miata owners and never found one who didn't love their car.

My son has a 2001 Acura 3.2 Type S coupe. That or a Lexus SC would be on my shopping list if I was going small.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had 3, all 1990’s. 2 coupes and one convertible. They are an interesting car. You won’t see many others unless you are at a Buick meet. The drivetrain is pretty easy to get parts for but there is a lot of other stuff to go wrong. The cars were built at the advent of computer assisted automotive technology so those parts are pretty rudimentary. Windshields are hard to find and expensive if you do find one. The Teves brake system isn’t too difficult to understand if you know ABS systems but it is just different enough that most of today’s mechanics shy away from it.  Also parts for the system like speed sensors and accumulators are difficult to find. Convertible weatherstripping is not available no matter what you are willing to pay.

Resale of these are not what you’d expect for a low production, 2 passenger hand built sporty car. You can pick up a low mileage car for a very reasonable price but you will likely have to overhaul the AC system (don’t believe the recharge lie) for $1,200.  It will also likely need new struts for another $800 to $1,000. If you figure you can buy one for $2,000 to $3,000, after putting a couple of grand into it, it is still only worth $2-3,000. The return on the investment just isn’t there unless you buy an ultra low mileage 1991 convertible or a low mileage Select 60.

Finally they are fun cars to drive but they are not performance machines. One plus is that they are very comfortable road cruisers wit h plenty of room for big and tall folks unless it has a factory sunroof.  I hope this helps. Other than having 2 seats, there is no comparison to a Miata.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had my 88 Reatta Sunroof Coupe since 2001 and it is one of two cars I've had that long. It is not a sports car. It is non-trivial to maintain though the drivetrain is near bulletproof and used in millions of cars. Sold my convertibles only since I am concentrating on retractables.

What it is: a very comfortable road car that can cruise at or above any speed limit in the country. It is best for two people traveling long distances with a lot of luggage. The styling is distinctive. The Teves ABS is different but was used in many GM (Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac), Ford, and more European cars. 91 has a Delco unit and a number of technical advantages. OTOH the 88,89 has the in-dash touchscreen. All have a built-in scan tool.

Like any sporty car it is best for someone who does not mind maintenance. The good news is that parts and service manuals, a number of vendors, and an active forum (that rivals this forum in activity). Just as a note

I considered Allantes a few times but decided they were too complicated and lacked the support structure of a Reatta. Thought about a Miata at one time but was more interested in how good the AC was.

Bought mine because I like the drivetrain and wanted a larger Fiero.

Go to the Reatta Forum for more than you ever wanted to know.

• Thanks 1

We had a Mazda Miata - my wife loved it and I thought it was OK when the top was down. My knees hit the dash and my head hit the top when it was up. I'm

olny 6-1 and 245 but it is a small car. One day my  wife went into a funiture store to look at couches and I went next door to a Honda car dealer. She came out and couldn't find the car. I finally walked up to her and she said she purchased the couch so I told her that's OK I bought a car! Sold her Miata and got a Honda S2000! Now that's a fun car. The couch was OK too. 

dave s 

• Haha 1

If we are no longer discussing the cruiser Reatta, the S2000 and MR2 are similar in really needing to rev to perform, and are perhaps the more sporting choices.  I drove a 90 Miata as a daily driver year round - it is a better choice for that.  Outstanding gearbox and clutch actions.  The other option in this era and price would be the Alfa Spider.  Although the design was old by then, the larger displacement gives a better low rpm feel.  Steering and gearbox noticeably older designs than Miata.  More finicky but I drove one of those as a daily driver too.

• Thanks 1

Might mention that while I fit most American cars well, my screwy arms out/reclining driving position (too much time in formula cars) have required use of a sawzall and cut off tool to get adequate legroom in little furrin cars. Mercs are marginal. Judge has whole driver's seat relocated. And am only 5'10".

• Thanks 1

thanks so much for all the information It was really helpful I hope you all have a great summer and enjoy your cars as much as I do my mr2. and by end of summer I will have another fun car what it will be not quite sure but got lot of ideas from all of you and am so appreciative

BTW two things would help

1) Where you are (climate)

2) Do you want/need the top to disappear ? (I prefer either a retractible or big roof vent, no more cloth tops.)

3) In modern times I have more interest in a really good cabin filter and AC than other things.

4) Have always preferred two seater road cars with a lot of luggage space. Even my Grand Cherokee is configured this way.

I must post my comments as some of the post above have bad or poor information. 

* Rust problems was mentioned..... while I do not live in the rust belt,  the people I talk with and cars I have seen do not have rust that would be considered greater than the average vehicle of the same vintage.   The Reatta body was completely submerged in primer after the body was assembled. ...something done to very few production vehicles.  

* "bad, bad brakes" ....WRONG.... the 1988-1990 Reatta use the very early Teves ABS system from Germany...many other premium vehicles around the globe used the same system because it was state of the art.   The Reatta was the only Buick to come standard with ABS brakes.   The problem is not the brakes but the lack of knowledge about them and how they are serviced.   With proper maintenance they are as good as any brake system of the same period.   The people that complain about the brakes, have probably purchased a vehicle that the brakes were not properly maintained or incorrectly serviced.    Brake parts can be expensive and that is because it was not a widely used system so not every auto parts store carries the Teves parts.   Also because few mechanics know how to diagnose the brakes, they throw parts on them until the get them working and then charge the customer for both parts and labor as they learn about them.  I recently saw a 1996 Ferrari and it had factory Teves ABS like the Reatta.    The 1991 Reatta used a more conventional Bosch ABS system if the Teves system is a concern.

*  Comparing the Reatta and the Allante is wrong........while they both were sold by GM divisions,  the 1990 Reatta convertible list for $35K and the Allante was $57K

That $22K difference would buy a new 1990 MR2 ($17K list for the supercharged model) and have lots of gas money left over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I ordinarily wouldn't post in a thread like this but my view is similar to Barney's and Padgett's, long term owners that feel there needs to be a bit of defense for the Reatta. I have had my '90 since '93 and yes, they do have some quirks, but as a long distance cruiser they are excellent. Comparison to the MR2 just isn't possible, totally different animals. The Reatta is more like early T'birds in that they are personal luxury cars that happen to have two seats. It looks relatively small but it is actually one inch wider than an Allante and it weighs more than a similar year LeSabre, so sporty driving it is not. Rust can be an issue depending where it is from, not so much with the body, but front and rear cradle/suspension, but in defense, similar year Toyota pickups and similar bodies would have disappeared by now, while the chassis soldiered on. Have never caught on as a collector vehicle so if money return is an expectation, absolutely look elsewhere, but as a buyer that can work in your favor. Brakes have gotten a bad rap but work very well unless they have been neglected and the ABS sensor leads for the wheels are getting harder to find, if the Teves II type, where '91 has a more conventional Bosch vacuum booster type.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, padgett said:

BTW two things would help

1) Where you are (climate)

2) Do you want/need the top to disappear ? (I prefer either a retractible or big roof vent, no more cloth tops.)

3) In modern times I have more interest in a really good cabin filter and AC than other things.

4) Have always preferred two seater road cars with a lot of luggage space. Even my Grand Cherokee is configured this way.

I am in myrtle beach sc and main reason am wanting a another car is my wonderful boxer cant get into the spider he is to bog so am looking for a fun car to take out on my days off and road trips am open to any suggestions  doesn't have to be a convertible 

Quibble: the Teves in the Reatta is the Mk II version so only early as a GM ABS. (GM also had the very similar powermaster but is was not ABS). It was optional in a number of GM cars from Buick, Pontiac, and Cadillac (also standard on the Pontiac 6000STE) and Fords. The biggest issue I have is that the reported error codes are not always what is rong.

True is also is pre-OBD-II but has its own built in scan tool

Biggest crowd attactor in my 88 is the dash touchscreen.

But think we need to heat more from lt about what exactly he is looking for. People here have a lot of interesting cars besides Reattas

and on the gripping hand there are some remarkable bargains to be found in Reattae since have never really caught on and some think parts are hard to find (rong).

Craiglist has some interesting ones. Here's a 'vert https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/apollo-beach-1990-buick-reatta/7101923775.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ps if you had a Dachshund or a Chihuahua, a Chrysler Crossfire coupe would be a great idea but with a Boxer, a Reatta is better.

Might also look at the buy-sell at the top of this forum. Might look for an inexpensive one just to find if you like them.

• Haha 1

Said Boxer not Boxster.

Yes but does Boxer need to ride in passenger seat or elsewhere. Suspect the passenger seat might be too small for a long trip.

In which case a car is need that is two seat but has a large space behind the seats. In general this will be a coupe though are some 'verts you could remove the rear seat and carpet the result. Some (Reatta) were available with large sunroof (Reatta) or a Targe (Hatchback Corvette).

So "insufficient data. A Chrysler Crossfire coupe or TC might also work.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Maybe a Porsche Boxster?  I think they are

nice looking cars.  The original poster probably

still seeks a 2-seater, or at least a smaller car.

I was looking at the boxsters but wasn't sure am going to not get the reatta not for me. Going to look at older Toyota and think going to look at Mazda Rx7 an 87 model low miles at nearby car place. 

2 minutes ago, padgett said:

Said Boxer not Boxster.

Yes but does Boxer need to ride in passenger seat or elsewhere. Suspect the passenger seat might be too small for a long trip.

In which case a car is need that is two seat but has a large space behind the seats. In general this will be a coupe though are some 'verts you could remove the rear seat and carpet the result. Some (Reatta) were available with large sunroof (Reatta) or a Targe (Hatchback Corvette).

So "insufficient data. A Chrysler Crossfire coupe or TC might also work.

Yea its so funny my boxer will just sit and stare at the car hahahahhahaha I was looking a older Toyota and also going to look at an 87 Mazda rx7  tomorrow at local car place says only 87000 miles and is good price 3500 so see what happens am taking my time want an older fun coupe not into the newer cars thanks for the help

7 minutes ago, padgett said:

Be very careful of a RX7. Ask if the seals have been replaced. Any sign of blue smoke, run do not walk.

Thanks maybe I should just stick with my original plan and get Toyota or Honda?  or an older Porsche I dont think I can go wrong with If I find one will let you know thanks for the heads up on the mazda

4 minutes ago, padgett said:

Perhaps something with a folding rear seat would be a good idea. Lotsa room for a large dog.

seatfolding.jpg

What make is this ? He will be fine he is 9 this month I think its a riot he wont get in the car actually makes me love him even more lol

On my 8th Reatta, in thousands of miles I have replaced one accumulator ball, one cam magnet, and a ignition module/coil and a cruise control servo.  There have been other odds and end tinkering, but nothing of merit.  I buy good cars to begin with though.  I have never been left down by one, find them extremely comfortable trip cars, very capable road cars and wouldn't hesitate to drive cross country in either of my current ones.  Some people like to bitch just to be heard.  You will get more comments driving a super nice Reatta convertible than you will driving a Boxster, they are a dime a dozen.  Dare to be different. Just make sure if you buy one you buy a nice lower mileage one that has had excellent documented care.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, padgett said:

2nd car on right of sig.

the Mercedes they are beautiful the beauty of cars no matter how many we haven had there is always just one more we want hahahahahaha I remember first car I had was an old Monte Carlo  was fun had bucket seats in front that turned for you could hang out at the sand pits the memories each car we have owned brings

On 4/30/2020 at 9:05 AM, Ed Luddy said:

As a former Reatta owner I wouldn't recommend them. Due to the expensive to repair Teves brake booster, electrical problems aplenty, rust issues, and a very limited market for resale. You will WANT to resell it, trust me on this point! Any old Toyota is much more reliable than a Reatta.

rust isn't a problem in the south.i agree with the rest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

rust isn't a problem in the south.i agree with the rest.

Yes, southern cars have less rust, but more interior damage, and I find more electrical problems. There are no interior parts easily available.  Reatta's are a cool car for 80's GM's. But if you are an electronic's guy, and can put up with bad brakes, hard to find parts, and limited market for resale, go for it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yes, southern cars have less rust, but more interior damage, and I find more electrical problems. There are no interior parts easily available.  Reatta's are a cool car for 80's GM's. But if you are an electronic's guy, and can put up with bad brakes, hard to find parts, and limited market for resale, go for it!

I am running away from this car I just talked to my best friend who is a mechanic he said run away from it funny thing though learned the Toyota solars is reliable and like a Camry learn something new each day why I love cars so much

• Like 1

There is no one perfect car..........how many car companies do we have making multiple models,  next we will be discussing what the ideal color might be.

Just go get a pick-up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1