Upholstery underline board

rhurst

I have used FRP (with the ugly wall panels at the hardware store) with great success to replace that material. Even made a couple whole door panels out of it once. I have often wondered what the next guy to remove those panels will think when he sees all that shiny white plastic!

39 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/SUPPLIES @@26 TOOLS/DOOR PANEL BOARD/COWLBOARD.aspx

example of the cowl board. Seems the "waterproof" version is just the cardboard with a plastic film layer on it.

A good place to get it - I buy from Miami Products a couple times a year for various projects .

Also restoration Specialties and Supplies may have https://www.restorationspecialties.com/

At the AACA Convention this year, the Upholstery lecturer (from Prueitt Restorations) recommended ABS plastic sheets instead of cardboard or particle board. They come in 6' sheets at .040 and .090. They can be sewn and also shaped with heat. Completely unaffected by moisture.

Phil

• Like 1

I just bought a 100 foot roll of "cardboard upholstery tack strip" on eBay for $10.  Looks like what is in you photo; 1/2 inch wide.

My go-to sources for rubber weatherstrip are Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc. in Windber, PA, and Steele Rubber Products in Denver, NC.  Both have extensive lines of universal rubber channels and weatherstrips.  You should be able to match something up.  Both offer paper catalogs on request, as well as online shopping.

18 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

At the AACA Convention this year, the Upholstery lecturer (from Prueitt Restorations) recommended ABS plastic sheets instead of cardboard or particle board. They come in 6' sheets at .040 and .090. They can be sewn and also shaped with heat. Completely unaffected by moisture.

Phil

It is actually the way to go as withstands moisture so well -  that is all my upholster will use.  He does complain that the material has to be thin enough to sew and tack through in certain areas of a car and as a result at times is not as "flat" as he would like; and I have seen him do some "engineering" to figure out how to stitch certain things and then build up layers to get flatness). 

I’m old school, but the waterproof cardboard used originally lasts 80 years, so that’s what I use for panels.  A sheet of plastic glued to back after all sewing is done, then it’s good for 100 years.

I know a shop that uses aluminum sheet and all the tricks to make it look like it’s sewn though the panel, to each his own....

But I still use horsehair and cotton, too, and tacks....again, they stand the test of time.

I enjoy being an old fuddy duddy....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Trimacar. You must be old using a term like “fuddy duddy “ ! 😃

I'm not quite the bees knees or 23 skidoo, but a child of the 50's knows some old sayings!  I heard a lot these when I was knee high to a grasshopper...…..

You young whipper snappers are still wet behind the ears. The only way to learn is on the rocks and shoals. Let me hook your leg with my cane. I want to pull you over and pinch your forearm to show you I can still hurt you.

I'd go with the ABS.