Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Wow. I’m sure whoever the owner was, would be one of the very few people in the world who could describe a Superbird’s handling in the snow.

1 hour ago, Lee H said:

Wow. I’m sure whoever the owner was, would be one of the very few people in the world who could describe a Superbird’s handling in the snow.

I like the fact it has tire chains on it.

Not enough downforce from the wing 😂

forgot to fly south for the winter 🥶 

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The information with this one says it is a New York Times photo from Brazil in 1926. If the date is 1926 then the car is likely to be about ten or more years old there. 

I haven't yet identified the car but the ten spoke front wheels and the manner of the hub bolts etc on the rear have to be clues.

fb pre 80s NYT photo Brazil 26.jpg

That looks like Sweet Sue and her Society Syncopaters.

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is a 54-year-old photo old enough to be "period?" Because a 1970 Superbird in the snow with tire chains is just plain awesome.

It may not technically belong in the "Prewar" period photos section? And there is in fact a "Postwar" period photos section where it may be more appropriate? (Which I rarely look in myself!) However, it is a wonderful photo, and interesting to me. One of the arrogant entitled children of doctors and lawyers that I was forced to share my high school experience with had one of those "Superbird"s and drove it to school during my (and his) senior year. I very much preferred my 1929 Reo coupe that I sometimes drove to school!

No complaints from me.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is my 1939 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports parked on High Street, London, circa 1960.   I don't know why this photo was taken, but it's easy to find on the web using Google Image Search.  Note the license plate numbers that show the car is the same one as shown in the current photos below.  British cars retain their original license/registration number throughout their lifetime.  The owner at the time was a Kenneth Bedford (the car's fifth owner, and I'm the ninth) who unfortunately couldn't afford a garage.  The condition of the car shows it!  There were just three of this model Lea-Francis produced before the war started in September, 1939, and fortunately all three survive.

image.jpeg.efc1b11a8f09b41865c8b0bde307a5fb.jpeg

Same car

image.jpeg.eabb4d6580b8afde2ef27964f0ea9762.jpegimage.jpeg.a521e71ee6b5e8ac641b596a596680ce.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, jameswulf said:

This is my 1939 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports parked on High Street, London, circa 1960.   I don't know why this photo was taken, but it's easy to find on the web using Google Image Search.  Note the license plate numbers that show the car is the same one as shown in the current photos below.  British cars retain their original license/registration number throughout their lifetime.  The owner at the time was a Kenneth Bedford (the car's fifth owner, and I'm the ninth) who unfortunately couldn't afford a garage.  The condition of the car shows it!  There were just three of this model Lea-Francis produced before the war started in September, 1939, and fortunately all three survive.

Thanks for posting this.

I appreciate the older photo WITH the follow-up on its current status.  Many of these cars in this thread wants me to learn either about their fate, and when its demise took place, or if they still survive.

Craig

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:33 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Is a 54-year-old photo old enough to be "period?" Because a 1970 Superbird in the snow with tire chains is just plain awesome.

427135852_1422698345299347_7137810041714538928_n.jpg.c5183404cefd3716044c09ac98418d6a.jpg

And I hope the service station put the snow tires on the correct set of wheels on the Eldorado going by!!

Craig

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Ripple roof Hearse

May be an image of car and text

1912 Gregoire with Triple Berline coachwork by Alin et Liautard (not a hearse). This was exhibited at the Salon de l’Automobile in Paris and the Olympia Motor Show in London and then sent to St Petersburg for an exhibition there. It was converted to an ambulance during World War One. The story goes that it was destroyed around 1915 following orders to standardise the ambulance fleet.

IMG_0006.jpeg.cfa2fd21ed6f6c80aa7c0d2ab2b07625.jpeg

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Another Gregoire.

“On September 21, 1912, in a Grégoire caravan - called La Ménagerie Grégoire -, Jean Porporato, with 11 passengers on board - including Mr and Mrs Picard -, won the Posen (Poland)-San Sebastian (Spain) regularity rally, the vehicle also obtaining the Prize for Elegance, notably with its balcony flower planters (3,500 kilometers traveled in 7 days, 2nd Hispano-Suiza and 3rd Berliet).“

IMG_0008.jpeg.6a52af1b3f7bab03db2a09be770297fb.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg.c56c0ad60b8edfd6bda892a9ca982656.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

1912 Gregoire with Triple Berline coachwork by Alin et Liautard (not a hearse). This was exhibited at the Salon de l’Automobile in Paris and the Olympia Motor Show in London and then sent to St Petersburg for an exhibition there. It was converted to an ambulance during World War One. The story goes that it was destroyed around 1915 following orders to standardise the ambulance fleet.

I had a scale model of that car back in the 1960's and wished it had survived.  

It made me do a bit of research on it in later years was rather disappointed that it didn't survive.  The triple berline/triple stagecoach body was interesting enough, as well as the extremely opulent interior (I believe photos of it were posted earlier in this thread, and here: Alin & Liautard Gregoire - COACHBUILD.com )   which would have been stripped out of it for ambulance duty.  It would be quite a showpiece today.

Craig