Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_0205.jpeg

In the showroom are new 1946 Studebaker Skyway Champions, Model 5G.  Production of this fill-in series until the all-new "First By Far With A Postwar Car" 1947 Champions and Commanders was only from December 1945 to March 1947.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_0223.jpeg

1922 or 1923 ford model T center-door sedan. The was the tail end, one of the last several thousand of an even then archaic body style. Mostly everyone else had switched to the more common four-door or typical two door type body before 1920. But Henry Ford held onto the old style a couple more years.

And what little detail identifies this one as one of those last two years? Look closely, to your left of the top door hinge, is a little white spot behind the glass. That white spot is a small lever that latches the window in its desired position. The window surrounds have a bunch of little notches that the latch snaps into to hold the window at the desired level. There should be another lever at the back of that window, however apparently lighting or shadows are hiding it from view. The door window is all the way up, however, the front side window is down a bit over halfway. In spite of dirty windows and poor lighting, both the two latches can be seen on this window about four inches up from the bottom of the window frame.

The rear side windows for 1922/'23 continued to use the strap and pin method of raising and lowering the window. The "strap and pin" method was used on all six side windows of Ford's center-door sedans from their 1915 model year introduction though 1921.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

What are the brands of these two cars? The right one doesn’t show too much suffering from the colision.

10 hours ago, JRA said:
12 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

What are the brands of these two cars? The right one doesn’t show too much suffering from the colision.

The upside down car looks like maybe a Cadillac by the look of the larger rear hub.

1 hour ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_0357.jpeg

Amazing picture! What is the meaning of “free crankcase service” on the wall plate? Is it oil change with oil pan removal and cleaning?

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The upside down car looks like maybe a Cadillac by the look of the larger rear hub.

Could be the other one a 1926 Nash sedan?

• Like 1

I didn't know where to post this. @Walt G if you want me to delete it let me know and I will.

Since we are afforded hindsight, I'm always intrigued how some in the 1920s and 30s imagined how futuristic travel would have looked.

May 1923 magazine cover

image.png.9d996e98cab8df1e44fb44a38c38276a.png

January 1930 cover

image.png.257caf9bc470f90789823dec8710a04a.png

Seems Leonardo was even invisioning similar travel in the 15th century with his aerial screw.

undefined

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Fire up Doc's  deLorean and go to the Packard Factory photo Turntable in 1934 and tell Alvan you want this '34 Twelve Coupe-Roadster.  And a copy of the accessory catalog so it can be dressed up a little better!

1934PackardTwelveCoupeRdstrTurntable (2).jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Bringing this fellow and his impressive motorcar out of the fade fog:

'10's unknown make - large touring d.jpg

Thanks for that, and for all the cleanups you do for everyone.  I just learned it's a 1909 Pierce Arrow, which looks like it has a Mass. plate on it. 

• Like 2

twin6:

You're welcome.  I'm amazed myself at times how effective this photo correction software is in retrieving faded images from loss.  It's a free shareware downloadable from www.irfanview.com which is easy to use to crop, lighten, brightness, gamma correction, contrast, file size reduction or increase.  I recommend it to anyone.  Look how it turned up the lighting on the Packard factory turntable.

Steve

'34 Packard Twelve Coupe-Rdstr on Turntable a.jpg

• Like 7

On 7/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, 8E45E said:

It would be interesting to know how Canadian sales were handled.

Craig

Pierce Arrow and IF used the same importer/garage/shop. I have photos inside and outside the building with both brands side by side. Very few IF went to Canada new due to import tax, and they came in disassembled………and were delivered assembled to save about 2/3 of the taxes.

• Like 3

To add a bit to Ed's great comments and information. Most of the IF that came into the port of New York ( New Your City) came in as a running chassis, minus the body but complete with dashboard, firewall , wheels, and sometimes a cowl and rear fenders strapped to the chassis for shipment. Many IF that came into the USA were bodied by Fleetwood in Fleetwood, Pa. who had their factory a few feet away from the local main railroad line. IF in NY City had a very active sales agent and even developed and printed their own sales catalog to distribute! Yes, I have one of those in my collection. One of the fellows who worked in the service department at the New York IF dealership I met when I was in my mid teen years as he lived near me about 12 miles north in the  Manorhaven area of Port Washington on long island. I have mentioned this here before. His name was Joe Gaeta and he was a great guy full of recollections about his days at IF .

• Like 3

MILESTONE - My thanks to all of you who have contributed to this topic on the forums , I see that we have reached over 650,000 views  540 pages and 20,000+ replies.

Guess that sends a message that there are a few of us who like b & w ( mostly) pre WWII era period photographs of a wide assortment of vehicles . This is all possible because of AACA and the patience of the monitors who allowed my somewhat off beat historians passion for period material to "get out there" to as many people as possible.  You all are contributing - be it a photo, comment or just as a viewer.  We are all a bunch of squirrels. Thanks again, hope to see many of you at the Eastern Fall extravaganza known as HERSHEY in October.

My very best regards and again sincere thanks,

Walt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3