Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Wow........I missed that number...........free is correct..........you should have bought it.

Nice car too, needs correct taillights (probably substituted when someone added on the passenger's side lamp), exhaust pipes wrapped, vacuum tank chromed, and a bunch of detailing; and should have gone higher. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

"Do these wheels make my car look big?"

cut down.jpg

A common issue with tires that became unavailable for otherwise perfectly usable cars (the only problem is when someone over the past 60 years did not collect the needed parts to convert back and you buy something with the problem today).  Some people have said that solutions are easier today than they ever have been, but a problem you really do not want nevertheless (and certainly effects the price).  the other fun one is you have the wheels and the rims, bu do not have tires and need to move the thing out of a barn or... - not so easy of a ask. 

On 8/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, Lebowski said:

079D3E04-53E8-4E75-A547-F071B1C9EAE7.jpeg

For anyone unfamiliar with this rig,it was restored by and belongs to Ken Hindley,of Union,Ontario.It was originally built for William Gray of Chatham (of Gray-Dort fame). Before attempting to restore it,Ken had to remove the barn that had collapsed on top of it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Speedwell ?  They supposedly used some sort of rotary tubing within tubing design for valves = LOW SURVIVAL RATE

Yep- I've always wanted to see one in person, Dick Shappy sold one a few years back but I've only seen pictures.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Rather rare artillery metal wheels  - also unusual lighter colored top and pinstriping (as well as whitewalls) - I would say this one was could be headed for Los Angeles. 

The wheels were made by a company in Pa. near Philadelphia I believe. Have a brochure or catalog on the company and its products - think I did a article on them for  the CCCA or RROC on that wheel  company about 20 years ago. I no longer belong to either club.

A better look at those Speedwells.  The expressions on the faces of the drivers is priceless, driving in the winter without a windshield or source of heat was only for the ruggedly hearty.  On the other hand, the other fellow seemed to be enjoying the chance to burn up the roads with his Speedwell, to see if its aptly named.

'10's Speedwell roadster.png

'10's Speedwell roadster a.png

• Like 1

I do believe that the wheel company was indeed Smith, I will try to find the time to locate the brochure /catalog issued by them that I did the story on. It was in the RROC publication "The Flying Lady"

They also I recall fitted these wheels to Pierce Arrow.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, John_Mereness said:

Speedwell ?  They supposedly used some sort of rotary tubing within tubing design for valves = LOW SURVIVAL RATE

Top car is a 1911 or 1912 bottom is 1910 or earlier both 50 hp 4 cylinder 1913 they tried  a rotary valve 6 did not work in real world went back to a poppet valve setup.  Not a tubing in tubing, a solid shaft with slots machined in it.

22 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Reminds me of their Indianapolis Racing Cars - the most famous loosing cars in history (I am not sure they ever won a thing with them)

Remember that the Packard Grey Wolf in January 1904 set three world speed records for one kilometer, one mile, and five miles. Guess these don;t count since they were not actual races.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, John_Mereness said:

Renault

391087_original-1.jpg.6693fe1ae19b606806e133d369c4d9d5.jpg

This is the 40 or 45HP Reinastella - other models of lesser engine capacity and shorter wheelbase were Monastella, Vivastella , Nervastella