Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

17 hours ago, HK500 said:

'27 Cadillac - looks like on a hollywood soundstage farm - fame is fleeting, not sure who the person resting his foot on the runningboard is.

1927Cadillac.jpg

Well, I guess I can stick my neck out? (Maybe someone will chop it off?) I am just not sure. But my first impression at my first glance immediately said "Charles "Buddy" Rogers!"

I have never seen him in country folk clothes before, and don't recognize the outfit from any of his movies that I have seen. Between google and IMDb, I quickly scanned through more than three hundred photos of him, mostly pulled from his numerous film roles. I didn't find anything that says it isn't him, nor did I find anything to really say it is. A lot of the photos were profile, didn't help much. Most of the full face front photos do look like him, although, in most he isn't smiling as broadly as he is standing next to the Cadillac.

For those not familiar with him? Charles "Buddy" Rogers was quite an interesting man. Mostly remembered for a couple famous film roles (mostly "Wings" 1927, although I also very much enjoyed "My Best Girl" also 1927). He was fully a success at a young age. Besides being a successful actor, he was also a writer and director of films! A close friend of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, he wrote and directed for a few of their films among other works. He was a musician, professionally playing several instruments, a gifted singer (I have one of his 78rpm records!), and a band leader for quite a few years.

In the mid 1930s, he married Mary Pickford after her marriage to Douglas Fairbanks ended in divorce. Their marriage lasted over forty years until her death.

He was one of those rare personalities, gifted in many ways, early and long success doing what he enjoyed doing. And not being terribly spoiled and ruined by his success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

In my humble opinion this Coleman car gives a new meaning to the term "Butt-Ugly".

image.png.c5ea23fa9d11a4a2a682335dfae3861b.png

Note the last line in the article that George K posted. I'm guessing John Gunnell had a low opinion of it as well. 

image.png.a7072a4d0524a726280857a00b24a2dc.png

To me, it looks like someone put bling and lipstick on a armoured vehicle. I'm not sure what they were going for, nor am I sure they knew what they were going for. Seems Mr. Coleman was very generous in helping Mr. Holmes pursue his vision...

With only 5 cars produced, I'd be very curious to know how much he lost on the venture. He may have got out cheap ;) 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

12 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

In my humble opinion this Coleman car gives a new meaning to the term "Butt-Ugly".

image.png.c5ea23fa9d11a4a2a682335dfae3861b.png

It's appearance would be a bit more acceptable to the eye if it was a Brinks truck.

Craig

14 minutes ago, Grimy said:

@edinmass Looks like a 1930 Model A (144" wb) but those auxiliary lights are smaller, like 1929s?

They were used in 30 also.........especially on open cars for some reason. Hubcap closeup is the best indicator.......hard to tell from photo, but it does look like the early caps........so 29 is probably correct. 

21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

They were used in 30 also.........especially on open cars for some reason. Hubcap closeup is the best indicator.......hard to tell from photo, but it does look like the early caps........so 29 is probably correct. 

Lenses sure look like the 1930-only smiley-face, but door handles are 1929.

An interesting shot that turned up on a facebook page. I guess in this case the riders survived their crashes.

"Seen here inside the Lake Cliff Motordrome on October 21, 1912, are Ed Bowen, Mike Cafarello, Bert Bruggerman, Jim Trafsky, Ed Harmer, Jim Cox, Harry Swartz, “Tex” Richards, and their mangled crimson Indians."

May be an image of 8 people, people standing, bicycle and outdoors

• Like 2

A change in the details of the body design can affect the overall impression imparted.  Although the Sport sedan architecture itself is similar between the Lincoln K and the Stutz DV-32 Hollywood Sport Sedan, the extension of the doors become frame valances visually emphasizes their verticality whereas the separate valance on the Lincoln reenforces the horizontality of the design.  The effect on the Stutz DV-32 is to make it appear as if it's a shorter although both cars are 145" wheelbase.

1931 Lincoln K Hollywood sport sedan by Rollston -crop.jpg

1932-Stutz-Rollston-Hollywood-sport sedan.jpg

1932-Stutz-Rollston-Hollywood-sport sedan -current.jpg

• Like 4

Adding more doors than passenger compartment has to be a major Faux pas in design school.    One that might get you an afternoon of cleaning chalkboards for even suggesting it.

I always wonder how anything gets from pad to finished design that is so bad,  then I think of lots of things i have recently pointed out to my wife.  A washing machine we just bought that leaves the clothes dry in spots among many thins.

Ironically the wife bought some generic store chocolate chip cookies because she didn't have to to bake anything.  (i've had several growing up and usually all store brand but can't recall any that were bad.  Even the cheapest seeming ones were tolerable.   These were hands down the worst tasting cookie in general and especially chocolate chip I have ever had in my life, and I'm not real fussy.  I told her I don't know what's worse, the fact that someone actually made them and thought they were atleast acceptable,  or the fact that they actually packaged and sold them and how they ever got to that point.  You really have to be trying to screw up a chocolate cookie.  With that said it explains how something like this can come to be. 

RENAULT, 4 place/seat with "torpedo" coachwork by Million- Guiet. Mahogany trim at front and rear center cowls.  Note the side mount spare area in the front fender that does not have a spare tire in it. It most likely was photographed that way so another sphere shape ( the tire and rim) would not distract from the lines and styling of the car. no 'bulls eye' to make your eye stray.

RenaultMillionG1914.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Barrett said:

Here's a street scene time stamped 5/1/35. It's a Rockland County, NY photo,IMG_0593.jpeg.4b9372620164b73581ddd031fc82331c.jpeg possibly from the Village of Nyack, NY That's a 1930-31 Model AA Ford truck on the right. I'm not sure of the identity of the auto on the left.

Looks like a 1926 Nash to me....

1926 Nash.jpg

• Like 4