Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

More great photos Ed and Tim.

I love the ornate  marquee of the Orpheum theatre "I'm no angel" American's most startling woman.  Oh yeah that is a neat Lincoln phaeton as well, got distracted by the accessory in the rear seat area

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

More great photos Ed and Tim.

I love the ornate  marquee of the Orpheum theatre "I'm no angel" American's most startling woman.  Oh yeah that is a neat Lincoln phaeton as well, got distracted by the accessory in the rear seat area

“When I’m good, I’m very good. When I’m bad I am even better!” Mae’s most famous line, and from this movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

He used it for five years…….Pierce was gone by 38, so the one dollar per year lease was a good deal after the company was gone. The built three 1936 V-12 Specials. Only the car pictured was a one off……the others were factory modified production cars. The special lease ran from 1932 to the end. The OSS were in charge of the cars. In 1932 they had seven V-12 on hand in DC.

• Thanks 1

Although my Grandparents thought he walked on water, I must admit I wasn’t too big a fan. He would have this on him in both photos…..to cover his leg braces. I have close up of it on him at his inauguration, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The robe was made in Philadelphia. 

7D9341CB-9929-435B-911E-4458F184E38E.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Although my Grandparents thought he walked on water, I must admit I wasn’t too big a fan. He would have this on him in both photos…..to cover his leg braces. I have close up of it on him at his inauguration, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The robe was made in Philadelphia. 

7D9341CB-9929-435B-911E-4458F184E38E.png

Such a cool piece of history! 

FDR at LA Stadium in a Model J. Notice the white steering wheel.

Back then, the press was in on the illusion he wasn’t handicapped. Here his braces are getting locked in so he can stand with the help of the secret service. Neither my grandparents or parents were aware of his disability till after he died. That was true for 90 percent of the country.  

How many of you are aware of his assassination attempt in Miami 17 days before the election?

9A880A4C-D319-40B5-8455-EB8D250F6537.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

He used it for five years…….Pierce was gone by 38, so the one dollar per year lease was a good deal after the company was gone. The built three 1936 V-12 Specials. Only the car pictured was a one off……the others were factory modified production cars. The special lease ran from 1932 to the end. The OSS were in charge of the cars. In 1932 they had seven V-12 on hand in DC.

Ed:

The one-off 1936 Special phaeton is still extant, isn't it?

Steve

17 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed:

The one-off 1936 Special phaeton is still extant, isn't it?

Steve

No, long gone. The car that survived was returned to the dealer pool and sold in New Jersey. It’s a factory 144 inch chassis with a factory modified convertible sedan body. The OSS returned it as redundant. Long story on that one. I passed through my sights, and I pulled the trigger……but missed.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

No, long gone. The car that survived was returned to the dealer pool and sold in New Jersey. It’s a factory 144 inch chassis with a factory modified convertible sedan body. The OSS returned it as redundant. Long story on that one. I passed through my sights, and I pulled the trigger……but missed.

Ed:

What were the features and details of that one-off 1936 Special?

Steve

14 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

For comparison, here is President Coolidge and wife at Andover, MA in May, 1928.  Identify the cars!

665250426_PresCoolidgeatAndover1928.jpg.70805e6052cf787068b1b20901ec5d4a.jpg

1928  314A 7 passenger phaeton or possibly a custom. Looks more like a 1927 but those are 28 headlights.