Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

Study of a 1912 Premier chassis (Detroit Public Library Digital Collection)

Premier.jpg.8693b81acf5bd8f45db3e1ec331f737d.jpg

Premier4.jpg.ed9f74002a73519d1e01f243c0de3ff6.jpg

Premier2.jpg.6b0d22c52aa612dd16e74037ba270730.jpg

Premier3.jpg.508e601c869277b2d68e618fdb028841.jpg

The third photo in this group appears to be of a different model. First clue - the exhaust is on the right. I thought perhaps the photo was flipped but the other major components are in the right place.

From the Corktown (Detroit) Historical Society facebook page.  "Hazel Green stands on the sidewalk in front of her home, 1400 Pine Street, circa 1928. Behind her is the Benjamin Franklin School, completed in 1921. It was the third incarnation of the Franklin School on that block, the first one having been built in 1866."

I think the car is a 1925 Paige 6-70. Not a cheap car then at about $2750.

That part of the US in one area I have not been to. It was only when I looked on the map that I realised, due to a quirk of geography, that Windsor Canada is south of Detroit.

No photo description available.

It appears the school building is still there, now the Benjamin Franklin Adult Educational Center. 

Web capture_18-10-2022_112918_www.google.com.jpeg

I think Hazel's car was actually parked a couple of doors along from her house at 1400. It appears there are only three houses left in the street - the blue gable one is 1390 and the green roof one is 1394 - 

Web capture_18-10-2022_11250_www.google.com.jpeg

• Like 5

Jorge Amado, I have seen that photo somewhere before, I remember the Le Zebre and the fellows standing around. If I recall correctly, someone where I saw it before was able to identify where the photo was taken, however, I do not remember where myself.

The other four cars are all Ford model Ts. Depending upon what country this was taken in, they could have been imported from either the USA, or Canada or even manufactured in England or around Norway. They do not look like the English Fords, they had a style all their own.

From the viewer's left, the first, third, and fourth, cars all appear to be 1915 or 1916 models, and likely all 1915 because they appear to have that one year only brass trim on the headlamps and oil sidelamps. The late 1915s and 1916s had black trim on the lamps. The second car, the one behind the fellow in the suit and tie, is a 1913 Ford based upon the windshield that folds forward at the top. One can tell by looking at the windshield hinges. That car does not have the original Ford oil sidelamps.

Wonderful photo! Thank you for sharing it here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twin6 said:

No idea what make of car this is, but I love photos that include dogs.  Different times, these - it would not be a good idea to pose for a photo with shotguns in front of a bank today.

dogs.jpg

Maybe a Babcock, built in Watertown, NY. They made 'semi' high wheelers (36" wheels according to the article in The Standard Catalog) for their first two seasons 1909-10.

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Maybe a Babcock, built in Watertown, NY. They made 'semi' high wheelers (36" wheels according to the article in The Standard Catalog) for their first two seasons 1909-10.

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

Nope. The radiator has a little plateau at the neck unlike the Babcock.

Very rare look at a 1928-1932 124" wb Dodge Brothers screenside 3/4 ton. Not sure if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder.

Proud sons I presume..

Color scheme would have been  the same as my avatar or possibly Algerian Green with black fenders and running boards. Stripe and wheels would have been possibly Ivory/Cream or the Yellow.

ND 2.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Firestone-Columbus 1908 Highwheeler (notes at the bottom)

Firestone-Columbus, Columbus Highwheeler - 1908

The Columbus Buggy Company, Columbus Ohio. Note on back of image: The highwheeler was built in Columbus, Ohio. The driver sat on the left side and steering was done by a tiller. The tiller was mounted at the end of the Dash. 1908 saw heavy competition in highwheelers with the Duer, Staver, Schacht, Kiblinger, Chase, Bugmobile, etc. It was made just that year and the firm turned to making a pneumatic tired standard automobile. At first I thought the car was a Chase – manufactured on West Street in Syracuse – but the Chase was a heavier car and having a 3-cylinder engine. The Firestone was aircooled of 10 HP with 2 cylinders. The cylinders are 4 x 4. It had a 75” wheelbase riding on 1⅜ hard tires. The Chase was more modern in that it had a steering wheel. The Firestone had the fancy looped fenders.

Firestone-Columbus, Columbus Highwheeler - 1908 - Digital Collections - Free Library

image.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2