Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Looks like the early days of the antique automobile hobby! Appears to be an about a ten to fifteen year old Cadillac touring car, very heavily used, missing the top, towing a home-made trailer carrying a very nicely preserved 1902/'03 Rambler! 

I tried zooming in close, couldn't make out the state on the license plate, but I "think" the year was 1934 (but I can't be sure?).

There were a fair number of early collectors at that time. I wonder who it was? And where are those cars today?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Looks like the early days of the antique automobile hobby! Appears to be an about a ten to fifteen year old Cadillac touring car, very heavily used, missing the top, towing a home-made trailer carrying a very nicely preserved 1902/'03 Rambler! 

I tried zooming in close, couldn't make out the state on the license plate, but I "think" the year was 1934 (but I can't be sure?).

There were a fair number of early collectors at that time. I wonder who it was? And where are those cars today?

On their way to Hershey?   I guess that's how the 'other half' lived in 1934.

When they get back, they'll do the annual ritual of taking down the screens and putting up the storm windows on their house!!  (Does anyone do that any more?)

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Observe the size of the headlamps on the truck with the stout gentleman with the straw boater standing next to it . Wonderful.

Yup! They look like C.T. Ham Traction engine headlamps made in Rochester, NY. Also note the folding top and the wire spool

Here is a patent drawing for the tractor. The engine was a Brennan model 'B' four cylinder (4-1/2"x5")

image.png.27306741b4dbe3887e00d67736a1e772.png

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Harper said:

Yup! They look like C.T. Ham Traction engine headlamps made in Rochester, NY. Also note the folding top and the wire spool

Here is a patent drawing for the tractor. The engine was a Brennan model 'B' four cylinder (4-1/2"x5")

image.png.27306741b4dbe3887e00d67736a1e772.png

Until I saw this post I had been thinking that from the looks of the engine hood on that machine there must be an impressively large engine under there. Disappointing to find it is only a 318 cid four. I guess that whole train probably didn't do more than 10 mph but at least they didn't have to stop every few miles to water the horses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Until I saw this post I had been thinking that from the looks of the engine hood on that machine there must be an impressively large engine under there. Disappointing to find it is only a 318 cid four. I guess that whole train probably didn't do more than 10 mph but at least they didn't have to stop every few miles to water the horses.

Got that right! Yes, rather small engine. According to what we have found it had a 3 speed transmission and a comfortable top speed of about 4-5 miles per hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want one of those C.T. Ham Traction engine headlamps !  Totally outrageous .

The Pilot Ray lamp company that so many classic cars now have one of their swiveling headlamps on had a motto "Pilot Ray leads the winding way" - Wonder what creative phrase could be said for the C.T. Ham lights - maybe "Zeppelin owners love them the most so they boast".

On 5/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, Walt G said:

Note on the tour bus photos the men with very few exceptions all are wearing ties, and caps or hats. Says a lot about the era - today if a cap is worn it is usually on backwards  so you can show everyone 'you are from da hood'  and your favorite expression is "we bad". 

Third photo down - LOVE that stone building! wow.

You mean like this guy? And no one has cell phones, either.

8712146-0-image-a-66_1547851267411.jpg

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)
  • Like 1